I used to be excellent at traveling. I never forgot anything, cruised right along the highway and arrived on time. That did not happen on this day. It did however, start out right with the last of the homemade garlic sourdough bread grilled cheese!!
As for the plums, I took the seeds out, but them in half and froze the entire bag full. They will be just fine for making jam when I return.
I finally took off around noon. I THOUGHT I had checked the highways and byways for accidents and slow downs. I did not do so well in this endeavor. There was a huge traffic jam on Hwy 99 due to construction. No problem, I'll go about 30 miles and cross over to Hwy 5. Easy Peasy.
Well not so much when the GPS kept telling me (about 89 times) to turn around. Sorry girlfriend, but I'm going THIS way. It was a two lane rough road with many stoplights. No problemo ... the traffic was light.
I hit I-5 and cruised right along for maybe 10 miles. That's when the parking lot happened. What the hay ...... no construction, no accident, just miles of cars going 20 mph.
No worries I kept telling myself ..... it will get better. I took Hwy 12 towards the coast, another two laner full of tourists. It really wasn't too crowded with cars, but the tourists stopped on the two lane bridge, jumped out and took pictures of the water. You should have heard the honking.
I crossed both the San Joaquin and Sacramento River before hitting the worst road I've ever driven on. Funny, it was great going the OTHER direction last time, but going North, it was horrible. Even at 50 mph, my poor truck actually moved from one side to the other because the road was so rough.
Finally, after 2-1/2 hours I made it to Cyndae's house. I met her friend Bill before sitting down to talk for three hours about all things Elks. Apparently they have no paid staff like we do, and are much smaller in size. It was quite the interesting conversation.
In no tine we were off to dinner. Surprisingly, this is an old cowboy town surrounded by farm land. They grow a lot of sunflowers here. Unfortunately they are also growing lots of new housing.
La Cocina was the destination where we sat down on those huge, very heavy painted chairs. Our waitress appeared to be the Lady of the House, who waited on us hand and foot.
I had carne asada. This is not it. I didn't take a picture, so I just snagged this from the internet to show the great food they serve, It was delicious!! There was enough for three people on my plate, so I brought most of it home.
That was pretty much it. I was exhausted, but we watched a movie, the name of which escapes me. It was 10:00 by the time I hit the hay. Of course I woke up WAY too early this morning, bleary eyed and tired. We shall see how the day goes. I think I see a nap in my future.
He never leaves my thoughts.



Food looks delicious.
ReplyDeleteHave a great weekend.
Coopers pictures are so dang cute.
Frances:)