Thursday, August 20, 2026

HELP, I'M BEING INVADED!!

LIZARD COUNTER:  16 


I don't know what I was looking at, but it apparently wasn't the weather here in central California.  It's a very WARM 70 degrees this morning and heading up to 96 every day for the next week.  Who turned the heater on?

I miss all those morning clouds that cooled things off.  On this morning, there were actually a few stars, but you have to really look for them.


I finally caught up on Bingo sleep, not even hearing Kitters come back in the doggie door, which happens to reside about 5 feet from the foot of my bed.  I didn't even feel it when she parked on the foot of my bed.  She is quiet as a mouse, which is probably why she is such a good hunter,


Which brings me to this.  This poor baby was trying to hide out on the patio.  Seriously, lizards aren't all that bright.  They try to lay still and blend in.  They are terrible at it, as evidenced by the Lizard Counter.  No telling how many didn't make it inside through the doggie door.  No, he didn't survive.


Neither did these guys which you can't see.  I got up, walked in the kitchen and didn't notice a thing until something caught my eye.  Was that an ant?  Why yes it was.  In spite of loads of water (or maybe because of it), I had another ant invasion.  This one went from my office all the way through the house to the laundry room.  WHAT THE HECK?

I started the killing spree immediately.  I didn't want to spray anything on the floor and then have Kitters and I walk through it, so I went on a rampage of finger squishing.  I checked all around to make sure I was on the entire path.

That's when I discovered once again that they were disappearing between the carpet and the wood floor.  Another case of them coming up from the foundation.  After I was sure nothing was moving anywhere along the line of death and destruction, I sprayed the edge of the wood carpet area.  So far I've only found two live critters ON MY COMPUTER DESK, who also just died a horrible death.  I'm praying there are no more, but with the heat coming up this week, I'm not holding my breath.


That's when the phone rang.  The bookkeeper is sick, meaning Nancy has to sign the bills.  It's payday and the troops need to be paid too.  I struggled with the computer program not wanting to load, most likely because it's a Windows computer and no one has ever deleted HISTORY.  I delete mine constantly, an easy task with a Mac computer.  With windows, not so much!!

With company coming, I did my best to get everything in order in a short amount of time before heading back to triple check for the ants.  None were found, but I'm not letting my guard down.


Cyndae arrived exhausted, just like me.  Twenty hour Bingo days are rough on me, but at least I didn't have to drive 2-1/2 hours to get here.  Dinner is always simple.  Applebees is just down the road.   Some of their food is suspect, so we keep trying different things with the hope of finding the ONE.  This was it for me.

No kidding ... this is the best meal I've had there ... and it's enough for at least THREE meals.  This is chicken parmesan with fettuccine Alfredo.  This pic is from the internet because I dove into mine the second it hit the table.  

My chicken was over an inch thick, fried crispy and smothered in sauce and cheese.  The pasta was cooked perfectly, though it could have used another cup of sauce.  Add a salad to this the size of this plate and I was full to the brim after eating 1/4 of it.  I'm ordering this from now on!!


That was it.  We both crashed after watching the news, hoping for a long night's sleep.  My latest tip is ear plugs.  I don't wear them often, but when I do, I sleep MUCH better.

Cyndae takes off early this morning and I will be left to work on those quilts.  I still have two generic ones to actually quilt, and then the four with names.  I am definitely rethinking my offer to do all this work.  I would really like to work on one of my own.

I think I need to add an ANT COUNTER to the top.  I just killed four on my built in office desk.  WHERE ARE THEY COMING FROM???        

I miss this face.





7 comments:

  1. Nancy have you tried Diatomaceous Earth DE Food Grade
    for your ant problem. I use it around my house at the openings to keep the pest out and I take it when I camp to put it around my tent. Be sure to get the Food Grade It's safe for human contact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your meal looks good and yummy leftovers. I don't like ants in my house either. We have a basement and I think that helps.
    Cute Cooper picture..looks like he was stretching or ready to play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ants seem to be popping up here too.
    Wonder what's up with them?
    Happy Thursday!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here in the So Cal mountains it was 80 degrees outside at 9 AM and we are to hit the low 90's again. We had a week of cooler temps but now back up in the 90's for at least the next ten days. Summers never were this warm back in the day. Good luck with the quilt projects. I have lost my quilting mojo, but have fabric coming for a Halloween quilt (that I don't need) and hopefully will get back to quilting. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww...poor lizard 🦎 I do really like them. Your meals always look delicious 😋

    ReplyDelete
  6. We deal with ants every year. I use Terro ant bait...it takes a couple of days, but used right, the ants take bait down to nest and we don't worry about the ants coming from that nest for another 6-8 months. When we got back a few weeks ago, we have seen about a dozen of the smallest little ants, but all single, no pathway to follow back, and have not seen an ant for about 5 days now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't forget to try the won ton tacos at Applebee's.

    ReplyDelete