LIZARD COUNTER: 18
GOOD MORNING on this gorgeous day. What a sunrise to wake up to. Little did I know what this was really from. Well I knew actually, but it just took me a moment to figure it out. Rarely do we EVER get a sunrise like this. I walked outside and instantly knew exactly what caused it.
One smell and it hit you in the face!! I never opened my doors or windows all day. It looked much worse than the picture ... it looked like fog!!
THIS is the culprit. Pretty ugly, right? Twelve miles away from me is a tire recycle place. You know what happens when tires catch on fire? You almost can't put them out. Here's the worst part ... instead of using a piece of heavy equipment to drag the not-yet-burning tires away, meaning less to burn, they just LET IT BURN.
It went on half a day Monday, all Monday night and all day Tuesday. When I went outside to check, the air was so bad I found it hard to breathe. The smell of burning rubber, didn't help. It was REALLY horrible. I did not go outside again until time for Bingo. You could actually see the particulates in the air and on the ground.
I tried to catch a few winks of sleep on the couch, but I got too many text messages. So I got up, dusted myself off and RAN to my truck. I hit the recirculate button so I got no outside air and drove to the lodge. Luckily the air there wasn't near as bad, but you sure could smell it.
I was hit right off the bat about an "employee" problem that made me mad as a wet hen. There's absolutely NO reason for this nonsense and I plan on giving them an earful tonight. Let's act like adults, okay????
I pulled my armor a little tighter around me and began my setup. Wasn't I surprised to find my old Fairy Godmother was there to help. She has a full time job now and cannot come in early, but there she was. I let her set up the entire thing for old times sake. We laughed and laughed at the Bingo shenanigans!
I think the joke was on us, because we start at 4:30 and are never done selling until 6:30. On this night by 5:15 there was NO ONE in line. WHAT? Everyone was asking why.
It's the tire fire. They put out several notices throughout the day warning folks to stay inside, especially the elderly. Well you know 3/4 of our group is elderly!! An hour later. we only had 78 people instead of our normal 125.
That meant the infernal machine became sick when he spit out a tab with a NEGATIVE number on it. We pay the minimum amount when this happens, but with only 78 people, it did not cover the jackpots. Bingo lost $133.00 last night. No big deal really, it was covered by the pull tab sales, but they made less than half their normal amount. You wouldn't think a fire would deter these people, but it sure did on this night.
It doesn't happen often, but when 8 people have to share $250, or 5 people have to share $100, it doesn't go over well. Hopefully next week we should be back in business.
Miss Kitters was sleeping when I got home, barely able to hold her head up. I crashed immediately since I have a dreaded (can you hear the shark music?) DMV appointment this morning to find out why in two months I have not received my tags for the Van. I think I need a priest to come and bless it to get rid of the bad JuJu.
This is Jessie girl. She was 16 when I lost her to doggie dementia. She liked playing the ball game as much as Cooper, except she would not give the ball back. I miss them terribly.
Thank the Good Lord there were NO lizards on this day!!!



Wow that fire is nasty. Hopefully if will settle down soon.
ReplyDeleteIt's supposed to be in then 90s here,
Thats hot for us.
Stay cool and out of the smokey air.
Frances:).
Does the state fine the tire burners for all the nasty smoke?
ReplyDeleteCute picture of Jesse with her ball and Kitters is living the good life.
Sue
The tire smoke looks horrible. I was thinking that perhaps it was smoke blowing your way from the Hawk fire. Such devastation. We are still hot here - registered at 104 on my back deck yesterday afternoon. Good luck with the DMV, never a good experience. Received my new tags on Monday and they were fairly prompt in coming. Last year it took eight weeks.
ReplyDelete