Sunday, December 27, 2015

Just Like George!!

Feeling slightly better yesterday .... at least I can sort of breathe through my nose .... I cleaned out the fridge in preparation for loading goodies into the motorhome.  Just like George Washington however, I can't tell a lie.  I took what remained of the pecan pie sweet potatoes and buried them in the back yard.  Even my lack of taste buds couldn't make it edible!!

Since I was on a roll, I took one load of freezer items out to the rig and pulled in the slides.  I even took the time to check the air in the tires, but since it's been so cold, and I know that makes a difference, I just left them alone.  The Jeep was another story however.  The last time I tried to take it to town, it gave me a low tire light.  Funny how the RV tires rarely need air, but the Jeep requires it every couple of months in all four tires!!

In case anyone was wondering why I don't go to the doctor for my cold/flu, my doctor is never around.  Any call for an appointment results in a two month wait.  With only two urgent care facilities in this area, they are always swamped to the gills because of Obamas health care plan.  You might get in the door at 7:00 am, but more times than not, you do NOT get any further than the waiting room unless it's broken bones.

People who enter the local hospital ER, never leave, so that's totally off the list.  My only choice is to drive 45 minutes out of town.  Even then, the cure usually brings on worse sinus problems, so I try to just suffer through.  Eventually it will pass!!

I spent the rest of the day on the couch, all bundled up in front of the fireplace with the puppies.  Jessie is a funny girl.  Having come from a puppy mill, she doesn't know how to play, but occasionally she'll go get a toy and paw my arm until I throw it for her.
She growls something terrible, and if she gets her mouth on the toy, she doesn't let go so you can throw it again.  The game is then to try and snatch it from her.  She's a pretty funny old gal!!
In bored desperation around 4:00 I made a pan of brownies and one of the best grilled cheese sandwiches I've ever attempted.  Naturally, I couldn't taste a thing!!  The upside of having a cold and no taste buds is I don't crave sweets!!  Too bad they can't bottle that!!

Finally all bundled up in my electric blanket in bed, I dozed off for the night.  It didn't last long however.  At 2:15 I awoke with a start!!  RATS!!  Dan told me the electric heat pump in the rig doesn't really work when the temperature is below 40.  The heat pump is on and it's below 40!!  I jumped up and ran outside, fumbled with the lights and ran to the back to check the temperature.  39 degrees inside.  I moved the slide to gas heat, heard it spring to life and breathed a sigh of relief.  Hopefully it hasn't been cold enough to break any water lines.

When I got back in the house, the dogs growled at me as I slid back in bed.  Hey guys, now you know how I feel when YOU move around!!

Each day I cross a couple more things off my list towards lift off.  Today I'll hook up the Jeep, then it's just a waiting game to see how I feel.  At this point, it's looking pretty good!!






18 comments:

  1. We are so lucky as we have an old fashioned family doctor. He will take anyone without an appointment. He spends time with you and asks questions. Sadly, I think he's tired of the Obama stuff and thinking of quitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems to be what's happening with many doctors. No one wants to put up with it. My last REAL doctor retired 25 years ago.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the nasal congestion a few weeks ago. Took Sudafed twice a day and it cleared up in about 10 days. Now that it is in your chest you have two options. Get a prescription that seems next to impossible or self medicate. Sudafed, some 151 or Southern Comfort, Supper hot showers more than once a day, over heat your body with some combination of thermal underwear, sweats, and electric blanket, to sweat the stuff out of you body. Won't happen overnight but your best bet for shortening the discomfort. Good Luck and get well soon. Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sudafed used to work really well for me. Here's a little known fact ... sudafed is the only decongestant that's okay to use when scuba diving. At any rate, I can't use decongestants any more. (Big sigh)

      Delete
  4. If you have a heating pad, lay it on your chest (low heat setting). That will help with the congestion. My son swears drinking apple cider vinegar helps, have no clue if he dilutes it down or what.
    Another idea: get a washcloth, wet it (not soppy wet, not completely wrung out), put in microwave & nuke for about 15-20 seconds. Be careful of the temp if it's too hot....fold and lay across your eyes/sinus area (just be careful that it's not too hot to burn).
    Liz-Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've used the washcloth method before and it seems to work fairly well. Thanks for reminding me Liz!!

      Delete
  5. I like to go to Urgent Care about an hour before they close. All the early birds are gone so I rarely have to wait. Less exposure to all those other sick people, too.

    When I have a head cold I live on Nyquill, Dayquill, Luden's cough drops, and chicken noodle soup. Some pharmacies deliver so you might call around and see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the other problem with urgent care ... being around all those OTHER sick people. Makes me feel like I'm going to get worse! I used to use Dayquill ... it worked good ... but can no longer take decongestants.

      Delete
  6. I think I would be careful of Mr. V he might have a few tricks up his RED sleeve Russian grandfather frost, or Ded Moroz, and his female companion Sengurochka
    Sengurochka,,,,lets take a look at this,,, is it really his granddaughter,,,,,,or is it Eye candy. I think there's something fishy about that I do
    Now they visit all the children to pass out',,,,,,,,,,,gifts. May be a little bathtub vodka to ??
    As for the reindeer I question that three horses instead of 9 reindeer and one bright guy with an oversize wide load sign on the back
    It's not like they have a real big shortage Of reindeer in Siberia
    i'm surprised the reindeer union rep Stewart hasn't filed a grievance against the horse committee for equal rights to fly around the world

    ReplyDelete


  7. Mr. V make glupaya oshibka) (Boo-Boo) needs to spell G R E G O R I A N
    Russia made the switch from the Julian calendar (still recognized by the Orthodox Church) to the Gregorian calendar followed by the West. During the Soviet period,

    Yes, Vyaadka celebrate Christmas on January 7 because in Russia we use Julian Calendar and not Gregorian Calender. The reason is Gregorian is too hard to spell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The misspelling was probably auto-correct. I can't tell you how many messages I've sent that made no sense whatsoever!! I never knew there was more than one kind of calendar!! This is getting interesting!

      Delete
  8. First of all I'd like to say happy new year miss Nancy and the crew yes I know it's three more days
    And for the ones that can't figure out what we're talking about sometimes here is a little insight into some foreign to us Christmas traditions
    Seeing as how I don't have Mr. V's email address or blog site I'll post this for him and for all a happy new year

    The Russian Santa Claus is known as Ded Moroz. “Ded Moroz” translates to “Grandfather Frost” in English, but most English speakers simply call him “Father Frost.” He is a figure associated with Russian Christmas traditions and New Year's traditions.

    While Ded Moroz is the Russian equivalent of Santa Claus, he is unmistakably Russian in appearance and attitude. He is typically shown in a long, Russian-style coat in the colors of red, icy blue, silver, gold, or another color appropriate to the season, which is lined or trimmed with white fur.
    Ded Moroz lacks the conical-style cap worn by the Western Santa and instead sports a rounded Russian cap generously trimmed with fur. His clothing is sometimes richly decorated with embroidery. Traditionally shown as a tall and slender older gentleman, Ded Moroz cuts an elegant figure on Christmas cards wishing the receiver happy New Year.

    Ded Moroz carries a staff and wears a long white beard. He protects his feet from the cold by tall valenki or leather boots. The three horses of the Russian troika offer enough power and speed to get Ded Moroz to where he needs to go – the Russian Santa has no need for eight reindeer!

    Ded Moroz delivers gifts on New Year's Eve rather than on Christmas Eve. He is often accompanied by a figure from Russian fairy tales, Snegurochka, the Snow Maiden. In the legend of Ded Moroz, she is said to be his granddaughter.



    Instead of the North Pole, the Russian Santa Claus officially makes his home at an estate in the Russian town of Veliky Ustyug. Children can write their letters to Ded Moroz and send them to Veliky Ustyug in hopes of having their holiday wishes granted.

    Those who visit Veliky Ustyug can have their photo take with Ded Moroz, ride in a troika, and enjoy wintertime activities.

    During the holiday season, Ded Moroz makes appearances in major Russian cities, like Moscow. He often takes part in festivalsand parades.
    Mr. V as you well know I'm not putting the cart before the horse but I wish Merry New Year's
    Russians welcome the New Year by saying “S Novim Godom!” (С Новым годом!)


    Sent from my iPad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you!! Such interesting stuff! I thought Santa Claus was pretty much the same the world over, but apparently NOT! I hope Ded Moroz has a great Christmas!!

      Delete
  9. Vyaadka have tear in eye. Vyaadka thought Papa tell me he was Dead Moroz. That why Vyaadka believe in Santa Clause because he thought Moroz was dead. Papa also told Vyaadka that when ice cream truck music was playing ice cream truck had no ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mr. V ,,, senior,,, He was one smart cookie if it plays music there ain't no ice cream.,,,,,,,, I'm sure going to have to remember that One

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on that one!!! Course where I grew up, there weren't even any ice cream trucks, let alone music!!

      Delete