Thursday, August 29, 2013

Singing In The Rain!!!

I'm singing in the rain ... !!  But only where no one can hear me!!  I guess this is typical Oregon/Washington weather ... it's been raining all night and is now pouring so hard my dogs are scared!!!  I have the "wet dog" thing going on too, but no matter!  I still love it here.

We took a quick drive out to Oysterville at the upper tip of the peninsula ... and on the way stopped at Jacks Country Store.  They have things here I've never seen anywhere else ... like bacon mints and even bacon bandaids, oyster guns, bicycles and antique oil lamps ... it also has groceries!!
It's an old time country store with lots of these rolling ladders to get things off the top shelf.  I think we spent over an hour just cruising the aisles!!
They even have a great selection of Beach Cruisers!!
Oysterville is an amazing town taking care of it's history by ensuring remaining buildings are on the National Historical Register.  Haven't said this is awhile, but I could live here!!  Originally settled by sheep and oyster farmers (go figure), it was once a booming town.  Lewis Loomis came here, bought the stage line and set up business, running along the hard sand of the beach.  When the tide came in, it caused a bit of a scheduling problem.  He eventually built a wharf at Ilwaco, set up transportation at either end of the peninsula for shipping and finally got financing for a train, to move both people and products.
This is the first house built in Oysterville in 1863 and was the First Pacific County Courthouse.  Most houses here are privately owned, but have signs on the gates telling when it was built.
Don't you just LOVE it???  Even the fence has character!!!
After a so-so lunch in Long Beach (how can you mess up a grilled cheese sandwich?) ... we came back home, made a quick trip to the beach.  Yup it's LONG and it's a BEACH ... a SANDY beach.  No treasures to be found here, but who can resist the sound of the ocean?

Dinner was at Lost Roo with Miss Terry and Nick of Gypsy Journal fame!!  We went to dinner at 5:00 and were shooed out at 10:00 when they put the chairs on the tables!!  It was like seeing your long lost friends!!  I've been reading the paper ever since I got into RV'ing ... all of three years ago ... and am constantly amazed at the great information they pass along.  Definitely check out the website at www.GypsyJournalRV.com and be sure to read Nick's Blog.  You'll find it chuck full of good information about places to visit and things to see!!  Also check out Miss Terry's recipes ... they are ALL excellent!!!  
By the way, the Fish Tacos with pineapple salsa were killer!!!  I'm pretty sure everyone is still tucked in their rigs because it's raining cats and dogs!!  Maybe THAT's why my dogs don't want to go out!!!

I'm sure Patty and I will hit a couple of shops today ... after all, it's our duty to help save the local yarn shop by becoming good customers!!





No comments:

Post a Comment