Monday, August 5, 2013

Glass Jellies !!!

Sundays are race day for Dan!  That means Patty and I get to wander around the local burgs to see what trouble we can get into.  At first we were going to beach comb, but with the drippy fog, that quickly became a bad idea.  Better to go SHOPPING!!!

There are always interesting looking vehicles around, but most aren't parked where you can get a picture.  This van, with it's advertised "Art By Ron Somebody or Other that I can't read" ... is a good example of beach art.  Much as I thought the Hippie era was long past, it's alive and well on the Oregon Coast including LOTS of tie-dyed shirts.
As I mentioned before, we found a place that offered Do-It-Yourself glass blowing.  If open, we thought it a great place to start.  It quickly became apparent however, that I had the choice of blowing a possibly very bad looking globe for $65, or buying a beautiful piece of art (artist made) for $65.  Although I would love to try, the choice was easy ... piece of art!!  A quick stop at a yard sale where we found saguaro tree pieces for $25 ($150-200 in Quartzite) and we were off to check out the glass studios.  You know me well ... I didn't get the saguaro pieces because they were 10-12 feet long and I couldn't figure out how to get them in the belly of the rig!!

First stop was in Lincoln City.  Jennifer Sears Glass Art Studio was amazing to behold.  From large to small, there were octopus, starfish, hanging globes, vases ... you name it, it was there.  This is her below in the black shirt.  
After walking around for 30 minutes, with the help of Patty's expert eye, I finally chose this piece because it reminded me of the Oregon Coast.  I also got a wood base including a light that goes underneath to highlight it even more.  The criteria was that it stand out on my dark wooden bookcases ... 
Although we looked for yarn and quilt shops, there were none north of Newport within our days driving limit.  In fact, it was rather sad to see so many stores closed and/or going out of business.  Heading back early, there was one glass shop next to the fish market to peek in before going home.  It was a long peek!!  Same deal ... you can make it yourself for $65 or choose between a hundred or more for $35!!!  No hesitation there .... this blue and lavender caught our eyes!!  The more we looked, the more we saw.  High up on the walls were these great display racks ... making the globes look like glass jelly fish!!!  The holder was more than the globe ... but this store was willing to barter a little!!  Darn ... I should have asked at the LAST store too!!!  With my deal in hand, we went back to the rigs where I promptly tried to figure out if I could make a holder myself ... a distinct possibility!!!
A couple of hours watching the NHRA drag races and more of Patty's famous stir fry ended the day.  Now to figure out how to pack the globes away so they don't get broken!!!  Hmmmmmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment