Tuesday, August 6, 2013

A Little History From A Sunday Drive ... on Monday!!

Except for the fact that I like Whalers Rest Thousand Trails park, I probably wouldn't recommend two weeks here.  There's only so much shopping you can do!!!  (Did I say that??)

Newport came about in 1868 and currently has a population of around 10,000.  It's basically known for Nye Beach, the Aquarium, Yaquina Head Lighthouse and Rogue Ales.  Famous Agate Beach is here also, but apparently very few if any agates can be found.  Not an ale drinker (or any kind of drinker) we haven't visited Rogue Ales, but you can if you come here.  Having seen all of the above, we took off for a leisurely Sunday drive up Hwy 20 to Hwy 229 ... only it was Monday.  

Probably not the best road for a motorhome ... thankfully Patty let me sit in the front seat to keep from getting sick!!  "Narrow winding road" signs were about every half mile!!!  The road follows the Siletz River, known for it's Mosquito Fleet in the early 1900's.  This river had steamboat traffic like hwy 101 has cars.  The boats were much smaller than the ocean-going types, leading to the name Mosquito Fleet.  Siletz was also known for it's salmon canning facility.  Finally out of the fog into the sun, we drove by cattle country outside of Lincoln City.  Those aren't clouds ... that's the fog bank!
Along the route, Dan thought there was an RV park ... we actually found several, but I think this one is the only park with sites big enough for our rigs.  On the way out, I snapped this image of the barn and silo.  This must be the only remaining wood and iron strap silo around.  I can't believe it was in such good condition.  Most of the houses along the Siletz River were on stilts ... when we finally got within phone range, I googled the question (you can find out anything on the internet) and discovered it was because of a flood in 1999 that inundated the entire valley to the rooftops.
Back in Lincoln City, at questionably the smallest harbor in the world, we stopped to get a picture of the "Hole In The Wall Gang" Coast Guard station.  The entrance to this harbor is literally, a hole in the rock wall!!   NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) recently moved their operations from Seattle to here, according to Wikipedia, but I never saw any evidence of that.
On down the road back toward Newport, Boiler Bay was our next stop.  
I can definitely see why this area is named Boiler ... the sea boils here with waves crashing every which direction.  You can see in the middle of this image, it's actually a whirlpool that sucks the water down into a hole ... no way you would survive where you caught in this!!!  A few seconds later, it boils over with a whoosh!!! sending salt spray clear up over the rocks!!!
The picnic table area here would not be my recommendation for lunch!!  This seems to be a seagull hangout!!
They were lined up on every table and bench!!
I'm always laughing at funny signs, but don't always catch them with my camera.  Not that I would ever buy just one, but I would hope that Walgreens would give me more than ONE kleenex tissue if I did!!!
Patty and I are considering a return trip to the quilt store in Florence today or tomorrow ... it's our only free days.  Last night was "free chicken dinner" with Skymed (although I'm pretty sure it was KFC, it was still delicious) ... Thursday is another "free chicken fried steak dinner" with MASA.  I figure with free dinners we have saved over $65!!  Don't worry ... I'll find SOME place to spend it!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment