Saturday, September 16, 2023

Tolerance ... I Have Zero

 Let's face it ... I'm a wimp.  Although I'll climb a 50 foot rock face, run 26.2 miles in a marathon or jump off a 60' tower in Costa Rica where they have very few safety rules ... I'm not so good at pain.  Although I guess that didn't keep me from trying to put that longarm together.  When it comes to pain tolerance, I have zero.

Thanks to all of you readers, I think I have come to a conclusion ... but let's watch the foxes first.  Aren't they just the cutest?  I have noticed they also eat a lot of insects.  That's where the pawing and turning them over comes from I think.  I just love watching these guys.  This time they came around at 6:00 in the morning.  I sure wish I knew where they hung out during the day.


I keep thinking I should go to the grocery store, but the thought of carrying all those bags in the house and setting me back a few days just doesn't set well.  My fridge was getting pretty bare, so I finally reached up into my cupboard to scrounge for a can of tuna. 

Who has had a tuna casserole in the last ten years?  Not me, that's for sure.  It just happens that I had milk and a tiny block of cheese.  I admit, lifting that big pan full of hot water and noodles wasn't my best idea, but it was worth it when I ended up with two small casseroles ... enough for at least six dinners.  


I never get tired of this or Mac n cheese.  We had so much steak and hamburger on the ranch that I fell in love with noodles.  If it weren't for the calories, I would eat this every single day.  Of course never use the 99 cent can of tuna ... you have to get the good stuff, albacore from Costco.  I could have eaten the entire thing.


So, after reading all your comments, here's my theory.  When I lifted that heavy box and turned, I tore the muscles holding the rib in place.  That caused all the vertebrae in my back to go wonky.  I couldn't understand why, once those were put back in place, it still hurt so bad.  It especially hurt to take a deep breath.  I knew it was the rib, I just thought they could put it back in place.  No such luck.

Finally today, after lots of ice and no movement, I feel like I will live.  There's still pain, but it doesn't seem to be from my spine ... but from that rib where it connects.  Rex, I think you are right.  I actually got about six hours of sleep last night, in spite of Cooper snoring and kicking me to move over, since I'm sleeping on HIS side of the bed.  

Don't laugh, but I slept fully clothed since that seemed to add some support to my back.  I have an appointment today, but we'll just talk about it, maybe do some therapy.  I think I should give it several days before cracking bones again.

In the meantime, here's a couple more OLD pictures.  Yup ... that's me with the binoculars looking for fish, or maybe critters.  Obviously I never went anywhere without my hat!  The shirt is small ... a hand-me-down, and the pants are big ... a hand me down.  But the HAT ... that's all mine.  If it looks a little wonky, it's because it hit the ground a few times with my head in it when working cattle.  The lady is the Pastor's wife, so watch your p's and q's.


Once a year (most years anyway) we got to take one vacation for 7-9 days to go fishing up in the Sierra  Nevada Mountains.  As I mentioned before, I LOVED fishing.  Looks kind of dangerous to me now, but back then it was nothing but fun to go scrambling over those rocks, trying to find the quiet little section of water that might hold the trophy trout.  

At least I never had to do laundry.  Those pockets were always full of fish eggs and worms.  There was no eating out and only one ice chest for milk and eggs.  Everything we caught was fried up for dinner in a cast iron skillet full of Crisco, over an open fire.  Biscuits came from homemade dough cooked in a dutch oven over the coals.  There's nothing better!!!


No, I never fell in the river, thank goodness.  That would NOT have been fun!!

And so ends another day of sitting around.  Thank you to everyone for your prayers and good wishes.  It's working.  Hopefully I'll be back setting up that longarm in the next few days!!  I really need to get back to doing stuff before I get too soft around the edges.  Besides, Cooper has just been WAITING for his bath!  Okay, maybe not, but Mom's nose says it's TIME!





10 comments:

  1. I've said it before, I just love seeing these old photos. Where you grew up and where I grew up are worlds apart. It is interesting seeing another perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty much live off the land. I was always jealous of the kids who talked about TV dinners and didn't wear hand-me-downs. LOL

      Delete
  2. Those were the days Nancy!
    Prayers continue for your back to heal soon.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Frances. A lifetime ago that is rarely experienced nowadays. You know because you lived it too.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Elva. It was a good life growing up on a ranch.

      Delete
  4. Mr. Ed reSaid You give the key away when you said they taped you up I would be very careful with your chiropractor. As a rule they don’t tape you up for a bad back they tape you up for rib cage incident. When they tape you up, that would be considered a sports Chest injury if it was your spine, it would be a cage With the rib cage incident, it would be very hard to breathe full breath with back pain you could breathe normal And probably a chiropractor is the last person you would want to go to. Take two good aspirins of your choice. The aspirin will dull some of the pain. Wait about 30/ 45 minutes and copy the video

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Apparently this is a rib cage incident. I'll explain more tomorrow.

      Delete
  5. When I was in my mid-twenties, there was nothing like a fishing pole, 6 pack (or two or three), sleeping bag and pillow for a quick two day, one night get-away with a friend or two. Leave after the lunch rush right from the restaurant. Plenty of little campgrounds for tents up in those areas (although we never took a tent.) Put the Beer in the Fork of the Consumnes, Mokelumne, or American River (depending on which highway we went up), catch some fish for dinner, wake up and catch some fish for breakfast, head home around 6 pm so we got home before dark. (Rule: No beer after 1 pm on the day we head home) We NEVER spent a night or a day hungry, we ALWAYS caught trout. If we caught too many trout, we would leave them in the water all night and hope for the best (normally taken by a bear or some other animal...but they never touched the beer!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it just the best? We camped in a tent and fished every day. There was no such thing as a "bear box" back then. We too kept the trout on a stringer in the water until we cooked them. Sometimes a day or two later.

      Delete