Saturday, September 23, 2023

The Magic Of Homemade PIE!!

 It's hard to believe that September is almost gone and we're heading into Halloween.  When cleaning out my garage, I put a lot of old Halloween decorations on the curb with a big FREE sign.  They were gone in a flash.  I can't wait to drive around the neighborhood and find out where they ended up.  I'm sure the bats and ghosties will be showing up soon!!

With my back feeling so much better ... no knife stabbing me in the back ... Cooper and I went out for a little ball action.  It's not quite as easy as before since he doesn't see all that well any more, which means he catches the ball maybe half the time.  He sure did love seeing Auntie Cyndae because she could do the doggy yoga and get his ball out from under the couch!


Cyndae and I did a little more organizing, and now there's plenty of room for the big table.  I just need two men and a boy to move it.  This way (when I heal up a bit more) I can slide the table outside and sell it.  I've heard too many bad stories of what happens after you let strangers into your house.


Even better ... as we organized things I wanted to get rid of, about half of it made it's way into Cyndae's car.  She went home with a really nice bicycle (I still have two) and boxes of household stuff that will be perfect for her granddaughters apartment in another year.  Woohoo ... more stuff gone!

Here's some of my Halloween decorations.  I think maybe I'll have to keep these and set them on my porch.  Maybe I can find some battery operated candles.  I wouldn't want to burn the place down!!


Once Cyndae's car was full to the brim, I headed off to the chiropractor to get taped up yet again.  She said it's doing GREAT and gave me even MORE exercises to do.  I was thinking the soreness would go away soon, but I was wrong.  Actually I can do just about anything but lift, which of course is what I need to do, right?

Lunchtime came around and Cyndae was meeting two friends that she is letting use her Hawaii time share.  We met with them to answer any questions they might have.  Just look at this food!!!  This is Jantz Bakery and Cafe, owned and operated by a fabulous Mennonite family.  They certainly don't scrimp on their portions.  


As with everything else nowadays, it's expensive.  I was pretty surprised to see this meal was $17.00, yet the place was packed.  You have to wait for a seat at this restaurant because the food is always excellent.  Too bad it's beyond my meager paycheck to eat here often.


The bakery ..... oh my Great Aunt Lou!!!  Everything is homemade, from pies like this, to muffins and pastries that make your mouth water.  Chocolate, peanut butter, peach, apple ... I think they had ten different pies in the case.  I'm sure the magic of homemade pies would fix up my back in no time.  The bad news was the price ... $26-28 each.  My $12.00 Marie Callendars will have to suffice.


Back home, I finally heard from my Realtor.  I was required to sign several more documents due to mistakes by the OTHER realtor.  That brought about a frenzy of printing paperwork.  It's so easy to BUY a house and so hard to SELL one.  

That was it for the day!!  I was a good girl and sat on the couch for the rest of the day.  Enough is enough ... it's time to get back to doing SOMETHING!!  I just can't sit like that ... it's making me crazy.

I'm determined to organize my sewing room today so I can get back to quilting.  At least I can do a little fabric cutting and use my sewing machine since there's no lifting involved.  I also drug out my little wagon so I can finally unpack the RV.  That should be fun, right???

And then .... AND THEN .... someone really needs to climb up top of the RV and check out the roof!!!  I can hear everyone saying NOOOOOOO!!  Maybe that will wait until next week!


12 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are on the mend Nancy.
    Rest that back kiddo!
    Wish I lived closer I would love to give you a hand.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frances ... you are a gem! I'm trying to take it easy, but it's a tall order, especially when you are used to doing everything!!

      Delete
  2. Goodness. That food looks awesome. For my birthday we went to Burgers and Brew. We spent at least $17.00 for a tasteless burger, dry French fries and unsweetened ice tea that didn't taste right. I think you got a good deal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen food this expensive in my entire life. I don't think inflation has ever been higher than the last two years.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Give Barb a shout out ... I'm sure she would be happy to make one for you!!!

      Delete
  4. Now THAT is my type of restaurant! Can almost smell the pies coming through the Internet...and those choices of sandwiches and wraps and salads!

    Are you going to work at the pumpkin patch this year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly no ... I absolutely loved working there, with one exception. One of these days I'll explain.

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear you are feeling better and hopefully you don't be silly and set yourself back again!!!! I hope all goes well with the sale of the house and that you are soon back to your regular self!!! You maybe could have had the wild ones at Bingo do some back walking for you and fixed you right up. LOL.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit Deb ... the hardest thing I've ever done is sitting on the couch waiting for that rib to heal up. I've never been so frustrated!! LOL

      Delete
  6. The Pies look delicious and are priced close to those in Julian California.
    With a bit more patience, you'll be back to yourself soon.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow ... I've never been to Julian and had no idea they were priced so high. Especially when you can make them yourself for so much less.

      Delete