Sunday, September 10, 2023

Nancy's A Bad Girl

 What??  It's raining??  Here I am sitting outside in the cool morning air when I felt drops on my head.  It's raining, though not a lot.  It seems the worst of it hit in the foothills above us, knocking out power everywhere.  Though it's supposed to heat up right nicely today, it should cool down to the 80's for the next week.  NICE!!


You already know I'm that type A personality that can't sit still.  I stared at the dining room table for about an hour before deciding I could get it moved just a tad.  Interestingly enough, none of the rooms in this house are as big as the rooms in the Arizona house.  I measured for my longarm and was short a couple of feet.  

See that Chinese cabinet?  It's an antique found in a little shop in Monterey California.  It was the perfect storage piece for my Mom's china.  I know, weird, but I had just come back from a trip to China as evidenced by the two terra cotta soldiers on top (made the same way the real ones were).  It needed to be moved.


Yeah ... Nancy was a bad girl.  She took all those heavy dishes out of the cabinet so it could be moved to the other room.  These rodeo dishes are the kind of thing you can't find any more.  Oh there are replicas around, but nothing like these originals.  They are actually being used on the series Yellowstone.  They haven't been made for many many years, so if you have the originals, you have a treasure.  One plate goes for $65-85.00.  To have the entire set is rare.  

The pitcher in the back and the salt and pepper shakers are not original.  I bought them later to finish the set.  


One of the reasons Mom splurged on them ... and I mean splurged because this was something we could never afford for every day ... see the K Quarter Circle in the top left corner?  That's our brand.  Every brand on these dishes came from a legitimate cattle ranch.  We were pretty proud to be included.


It also has the Four Sixes brand.  I'm hoping these won't be lost when I'm gone.  Maybe I should donate them to a museum somewhere.  I just don't know where.  Maybe Wyoming?  South Dakota?  Montana?


The Chinese cabinet got moved to the kitchen ... no worries, I used those moving pad things under the feet ... but I STILL didn't have enough room.  This cabinet will have to be moved also.  Hard to see, but there is a doll in that glass cabinet on the top.


Her name is Wilhelmina.  She was given to one of my Great Aunts for taking care of a sick gentlemen in Germany.  I inherited her from my Grandmother, along with a letter telling her story.  The very well off family didn't want this doll with a wax face to be destroyed by the bratty little daughter who lived in the house, so they gave her to my Great Aunt.  

When the seamstress came to the house to make the clothes for the women, they had her make the clothes for the doll.  At this point in time, she is 218 years old.  It's amazing that she has lasted this long.  Again, I should donate her to a museum ... I just don't know where.


I unloaded the second glass cabinet all over the dining room table, which now completely blocks the walkway through the house.  No, I didn't move that cabinet.  It's too heavy.


And THEN .... I did this.  I just couldn't stand seeing my longarm laying around.  I used my feet and my legs more than my back to get it set up this far.  It's was like only 9:00 when I called Uncle.  My back was pinching something terrible.  BAD NANCY!


So I literally spent the rest of the day sitting in a stool at the counter with a tennis ball buried in my back.  I used to be able to move things around doing that, fixing my back without the use of a chiropractor that always seemed to make it worse.

By the end of the day, I could stand up and walk without much pain.  Hey ... it's working ... sort of.  I'm down to only one bad spot in my back.  Maybe another day of that will fix me up.  Worst case, I've found a chiropractor that uses the table I'm familiar with.  

So sadly, there will be no more moving crap ... I mean cool antique stuff ... from place to place.  Of course now the house is in even MORE of a mess than before, making me crazier than normal.  


I may have to give up the idea of a yard sale and just donate all this stuff.  This is a LOT of work for one person!!!!



20 comments:

  1. Bad Nancy moving stuff.
    Please becareful.
    Those dishes are amazing. I'm so glad you have kept them after all these years.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just couldn't help myself. Sitting is not my forte!

      Delete
  2. You might consider donating your dishes to the Kern Co museum.
    They have alot of history about the Kern River and Lake Isabella. Just a thought.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm that may just be the solution. I'll check. I tried to donate some stuff to the Merced County Courthouse Museum, but they weren't interested.

      Delete
  3. Mr. Ed said. You must have a lot of daughters and sons that you can give your stuff to why not pass it down now I’m sure they would enjoy it just as much as you . That way you could give it up freely And you would feel better knowing it went to a caring home.(Hi, my name is Nancy I’m a hoarder)
    Now for the real world situation, Every article that you ever bought is imprinted in your mind that’s YOUR history not someone else’s While you can still put your feet on the ground now may be the time to find a reputable antique auction house consign it. Remember, They’re in partial
    remember when you went to an antique store and you walked through and 👀 all dead peoples stuff. and how much they got for it. that’s what would happen or is going to happen when you no longer display it. just remember, what is YOUR treasure? Now ,
    we’ll be on that shelf later. Nobody knows the history except you . Think of your house as an RV you go buy a New jacket you get rid of an older one you buy a new kitchen table you get rid of the old one As for clothes, if it falls off, keep it , if it doesn’t, get rid of it👍
    Think of where you’re at . you brought stuff from California to Arizona and YOU brought it back.( As George Collins used to say) All you’re doing is moving stuff. (Hi, my name is Nancy I am a hoarder) Maybe it’s Time to Declutter
    Problem number 2 your back… Take 1 🎾or 2 🎾🎾tennis balls, put ? on the floor and lay on it And dance 💃like you’re putting on a pair of pantyhose 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy says she doesn't have any children ... none, zilch, nada. Yes I am a hoarder of sorts ... a hoarder of historical artifacts ... mostly anyway! I've been using tennis balls on my back for the last two days. If I lay on the floor, I won't be able to get up ....... soooooo ..... no dancing for me!

      Delete
  4. We take it to the bottom of the driveway and put out the old
    "free" sign. Stuff disappears like magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That too is a good idea. I've done it before and probably will again .... when I can MOVE stuff down there! LOL

      Delete
  5. That is some pretty old and interesting crap! I mean antiques. Those plates are one of a kind, very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup ... you got it right Jim ... CRAP!! Much of it anyway!

      Delete
  6. Love those plates. I can understand why your mom wanted them. Kern County Museum....good choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure I can part with them, but I'm making the call to see if they are interested.

      Delete
  7. WOW, love those plates/bowls/etc! There has to be a 'future' home for them somewhere. Any museum over by Lake Isabella? How about in Lone Pine???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh Lone Pine is a possibility too. Thanks Dave ... I'll check them out. My dad loved the Museum of Western Film History ... he was in a movie or two.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I remembered that, and remembered his connection to Lone Pine...of course, if there was SOMETHING in Lake Isabella area where the ranch was located...but alas all that's around there is water, snakes, and a few ranches.

      Delete
  8. Nancy your dishes are so cool and no reason to get rid of them now. I love the story behind the dishes !
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very rare nowadays, but one I know would appreciate them like I do.

      Delete
  9. Same situation as you! Western art, sand paintings. Dads gold/turq. watch. Moms star saffire/diamond ring. Means nothing to anyone else but....... what to do. Have sold some jewelry but maybe need to sell more. Hard to part with though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It's hard to part with, but otherwise it will just go to Goodwill. The horror!!! LOL

      Delete
  10. Go to ebay - look up your items to see what they're worth. Make a list. The dishes will probably be pieces not sets. That doll - contact a doll museum. I don't do ebay but it would give you an idea what it's worth, for tax reasons if nothing else. Email a couple doll sellers for an ask if they're interested or hints what to do with your doll. OR with your now known prices, list items on a local site with a price and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete