Wednesday, July 12, 2023

WE GOT RAIN!!

 THIS time I'm not crying wolf!  I'm not sure why all these big crazy thunder and lightning storms come in while Mr. Dan is gone, but Patty and I got slammed last night.  No one ever said Arizona desert storms were meek and mild.

This is my view this morning.  It's 84 degrees and quiet as a mouse outside.


This was last night just before Mother Nature slam banged around the hills here.  This is crazy ... 100 degrees and it began to pour.


Oh it started off nicely enough ... HUGE cracks of lightning that made both Cooper and I jump up off the couch.  They were right overhead, like you could reach up and touch them!  That was followed by thunder that shook my house like a rag doll.  The vibrations were epic!!

We cowered on the couch for about an hour with no television.  The power went out a couple of times, but never stayed that way for long.  Thank goodness for Arizona power companies.  Here's just a sample of the beginning.  That weird flash was lightning.


If I got these in order, which I may not have (Blogger doesn't let you check), this is what it looked like a little later in the evening.  I actually fell asleep on the couch because I took an Advil PM so I could sleep through the worst of the racket.  Little did I know you aren't supposed to mix that with my new medication.  I was out like a rock, which I greatly appreciated. 

New meds are no big deal.  I have mildly high blood pressure, so we're just making sure it doesn't get out of hand.  The trip to pick them up at Walgreens was a story way too long to tell about here.  And I got some magic cream for the wasp bite that just doesn't want to go away.


I actually had some visitors after the rain, more than I have seen since I've been here.  I think the cool weather brings them out.  I'll post those tomorrow.

I watched this roadrunner eyeing a nice fat lizard on the other side of the yard while I perused the latest roofing bid.  In two seconds he was clear across the grass with a nice tasty meal.  Really, I'm not fond of these guys, though I love to see them around the area.  They eat baby birds ... BAD roadrunners!!


Here's the latest on the roof.  Another bid came in at $14,800.  It's rather hard comparing since one says modified bitumen, laminated shingles and the other architectural shingles.  What's the difference.  One says 30# underlayment, the other 40#.  One says 30 year roof, the other doesn't say anything.  Big sigh!!  I'm now learning more about roofing than I EVER wanted!!  The difference in price is only about $600.  Anyone have an opinion?

I did check all over the internet to find that the average single wide modular roofing costs around $9,000 in Arizona.  The average double wide modular roofing costs around $15-16,000.  So apparently I'm in the ballpark, I just don't know who to throw the ball to.


Just for entertainment value, I decided to make some blueberry muffins, because it was National Blueberry Muffin Day.  I would rather have just gone out and bought some, but there's no bakery close enough.  They actually turned out quite tasty, though not so light and fluffy.  I'm sure if I douse them in some of that lovely Canadian Maple syrup, they will be even better!


It's cool enough this morning to head out and do some tree trimming.  There are a few low hanging branches that are hitting the house and my RV cover.  Suck it up Nancy ... it's time to go to work.





28 comments:

  1. Hi Nancy
    I asked hubby about shingles. He says the architectural shingles are more eye appealing,but may not hold up in the wind as well. We put a blend of the two on our house. It depends on what you want it to look like. He said just be sure you get a roofer with a good reputation. If you choose something you like in their samples ask if they have a roof that you can see to get an idea of what it will look like. I know this is a mouth full I hope it helps.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replacing roofs doesn't help blood pressure.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I ordered my manufactured home in Feb. 2020 it was recommended that I put architectural shingles on because they will hold up better in the elements. And yes they are eye appealing. FYI I'm in Eloy. So basically I see hotter temps than Tucson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay ... that makes me feel much better!!! Thank you for the info ... I really appreciate it.

      Delete
  4. Flat roof here so have the white foam roof. Good luck.
    Muffins look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. It would be really nice if it was not 100 degrees!!! LOL

      Delete
  6. Never dealt with roofs outside of the library, and when we built the two new branches, the Architect picked the type of shingles that went up on them. I do agree that you need to research the companies more than the product...there has to be reviews out there. You can also ask them for the name/phone number of their latest three clients for you to call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have an A+ rating with BBB and lots of good reviews. It's stressful!

      Delete
  7. I would certainly want a warranty. From a company I could trust to be there if I needed to make a claim. As for personal experience, the only structure we ever roofed was a garage we had to reroof to sell the house so I wasn't particularly diligent about researching that one.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before I send them a deposit, I'm asking for warranties, a copy of their license and their insurance. Contract says 7 years guaranteed no leaks. The other companies had no guarantees other than the shingles themselves.

      Delete
  8. All i know is that when it says 25 year shingles, you might get 18 to 20 etc.
    You have varied opinions in your comments so it's a tough call. I like the idea from Dave for references to call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the muffins look good but dipped in Canadian maple syrup is even better!

      Delete
    2. I think these singles did pretty good, but they are definitely in bad shape now. There goes my house paint and new carpet! LOL

      Delete
  9. I wasn't going to say anything about this, but.
    How many times did your doctor check your blood pressure before they recommended a blood control medication? Blood pressures go up and down and at the doc's office they are usually up some. Have you bought a pressure checker and done it yourself at home? I recommend the one on the wrist as it's the easiest to use although most say the arm one is a bit more accurate. Who cares about a little difference. Just do it. Better yet, if you really want to know what it really is, you have to take it when you don't know it, so a full time wrist monitor would tell you much more and be more accurate. I saw one advertised for about sixty bucks. I'm what they call a White Coat Syndrome type of person, so I can never get a good reading at the doc's. I do it at home or they would of had me on meds a long time ago.
    And did you look up the med you are going to take to see what it's real side effects might be. Do your own pressure checking before starting on the meds if you can. Your pressure should go up and down, as it should and not just stay high all the time, otherwise you are good to go and don't go down the meds road. Docs give people serious side effect meds too easily. The truth is the body knows a lot more than the docs do, trust it more, unless you really have a more serious problem, don't do it. :O) It's normal for pressure to go up when the body needs more stuff as well as the pulse rate.
    My five buck advice. Inflation, you know.
    Bobseyes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inflation ... right! Worth every penny. My blood pressure was pretty high at one point and gave me terrible headaches. I have monitors and check it all the time. I didn't like the side affects of the last meds, which is why I went to get them changed. I agree ... doctors are prescription happy and I don't like taking pills, so I'm really careful.

      Delete
  10. Oh, and the very best roof is a metal one, like I have on my house. The reflect heat the best and are fire proof too. One time install and that's it for life. They might be a bit more expensive.
    Bobseyes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh again. When I installed a metal roof on my old house, I believe it dropped the inside temperature about ten degrees each day. I put the metal roof over two layers of the shingles like on your roof. I kept the old stuff for more insulation and also, that way you don't have to take it off and get rid of it. I call that money saved, helps pay for the cost of the metal.
      Bobseyes

      Delete
    2. I read up a bit on metal roofs. I'll look into it a little more.

      Delete
  11. To add to Bob's comment, normal BP is not the same as in the olden days. Big pharma likes that changes were made to "normal" levels. What used to be normal now requires pills..... for the rest of your life. I blame my parent's and in-laws alzheimer's on big pharma. High cholesterol is a joke too. When you start taking more pills to counter the side effects from the others, you're in trouble. Wish people would trust their amazing bodies more. p.s. How was your salt intake prior to testing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the roof, go with the longest lasting shingles and the wind mitigation (with maybe an inspection to prove to the insurance company) The wind mitigation will usually pay for itself in a year or more with insurance premium discounts for it. Make sure the insurance company knows you did it. You might get a credit. Don't get black, can't believe folks in FL get black shingles but they do. They're the cheapest. I would now consider metal after reading Bob's comment.

      Delete
    2. I agree ... Doctors are sleeping with big Pharma so they can see patients more often and pull in the money. I'm not about taking pills unless I really need them.
      Don't those black shingles just soak up and hold the heat? I'm going with light gray. Not sure about a metal roof with all the lightning that hits here. I'm looking it up.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thats right ... they do!!! They sure are fun to watch.

      Delete