Monday, July 3, 2023

The Dangers Of Overheating

It sucks getting old.  I've never had to spend so much time contemplating WHY I don't feel like I did 20 years ago, or why I can't do the things I used to do.  

As we all know, I did NOT go by Wellton, which is why the feedlot never appeared.  I admit, I spent the entire time driving out of Quartzsite thinking the road was exactly the same as leaving Yuma.  So why would I think that?  I'm pretty sure I drove way too many miles in each day.  I was trying to beat the extreme heat that arrived yesterday.  Overnight low 81, high 104 to 108.  I admit, I was exhausted.

Add to that my lack of heat tolerance.  I never gave it that much thought until now.  Fifteen years ago I got a good case of heat exhaustion.  No biggie, I got over it, but my heat tolerance has gone down to zero.  Even though I drink at least eight bottles of water every day, I've let myself get overheated.  It's interesting how that affects your thought process.  No wonder people die in the desert.  The wasp sting that made my head hurt so bad that morning didn't help either.

At any rate, I'll be taking it easy for the entire week.  Oh wait ... I already broke that rule.  This $100 sprinkler that I had installed two years ago, broke.  It wasn't working at all.  I told Dan I would dig it up, if he could help me replace it.  This ground is so rocky and full of drip irrigation lines, I had to dig it out with a big spoon.  No kidding ... it took me some time. 


Rainbirds are SO much easier to adjust!  We staked it out and it's working great, but I have yet to fill in the hole.  Maybe today.  Why do I even bother with a lawn?  Although it doesn't look like it, there's quite a downward slope to the yard.  It would not be easy to build a deck or pour concrete.  No grass means more dirt and dust, so I'm trying to keep this little section alive.


After unloading the fridge and freezer from the RV, I quickly realized I had once again overheated myself. It's time to wise up and slow down.  Jon's perch (above his head) fell off, so I scrounged up two big washers and screwed it back to the cage.  He was a happy camper.  


Cooper got a haircut also, as I slugged down water bottle after water bottle.   No, I'm not so wasteful as to keep buying water, I wash and reuse the bottles several time before throwing them away.  He doesn't hold still very well, and obviously I'm not Picasso with the clippers, but he's much cooler now.  He's also happier since he finally got ONE ball back to play with.  He seems to be doing very well.


Next up, taking my quilting machine off the frame and loading it in the truck for a trip to the doctor.   It's making a terrible grating grinding noise and requires assistance.  I made the appointment for July, but they put MAY on the calendar.  BIG mistake.  We went round and round until they finally agreed if I brought it in, they would repair it and deliver it back to me.  Although I won't be dropping it off until later in the week, at least it's in the truck.

As for my paper wasp sting, it is finally changing color ... more pink than red, and it doesn't itch near as much.  It's weird though ... it has left my skin feeling bumpy and scaly.  Maybe I'm becoming WaspWoman!!  That just might come in handy!!

Now to figure out what is walking across my driveway all night long setting off the alarm.  Most everything around here is nocturnal, but hearing the alarm go off is unusual.  I'll be setting up the game camera out there to see who is visiting.




16 comments:

  1. Benadryl work you probably just didn’t notice it Corazon 10 will take the itchy, bitchs away As for heat stroke Gatorade Is good it replaces the salt you lose you don’t get that with water .. and add an outside cold shower. Setup. Now I’m not telling you to take your clothes off and take a shower on the contrary leave your clothes on take a shower with Your clothes on help cool you down as well… in the desert you don’t stay wet very long.
    Also, be observant when you go shopping, look at the guys (get your mind off that ) they wear long sleeve shirts with T-shirts And it’s 110 outside unlike us Northerners we wear shorts and tank tops and get heat stroke Sometimes you can take a lesson from them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Instead of putting your sprinkling head system down low in the ground, put a 5 inch riser. They’re about $1.25 each It’ll work fine and easy to replace later

      Delete
    2. Nancy we lived in the desert for quite a few years and that heat is something else. I'm glad you are drinking plenty of water.
      Take it easy . So glad Cooper is doing better.
      Frances:)

      Delete
    3. You're right ... many wear long sleeve shirts outside. But geez, I overheat inside in the shade! LOL. The riser ... yup that's what we did!

      Delete
  2. I have often wondered what black asphalt parking lots are like, in AZ in mid-summer. Do they get soft?

    It would be interesting to experience thermal hell for a while, followed by a monsoonal thunderstorm. Of course it is still a little early for monsoons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it DOES get soft ... which is why the roads are in terrible shape even when they have just been built. It's funny, because when you're inside at 78 degrees and you go outside at 108, it feels kind of good. It lures you in. Three minutes later you've got heat stroke.

      Delete
  3. Marcia drinks lots of water too, has to be bottled water. We buy the water in gallon jugs, then pour into empty "Pure Leaf" tea bottles...they are the best. Wash them and reuse over and over and over again. Once a year or so I will buy another six pack of the tea, pour it out and she has bottles for another year.

    I am going to guess that you have a coyote visiting your front yard area...let's see what your cameras find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can drink my "fridge" water at home, but on the road, it has to be bottled ... for all three of us!

      Delete
  4. Take your salt.
    I got a bit of heat stroke when I was in Vietnam a long time ago.
    I got smart and started taking the salt tablets that were in the mess hall for that purpose. Add about a teaspoon of salt to your water bottle or a half in each one. You'll not have heat stroke problems. Don't lesson to the bad advice of doctors that say reduce salt intake, it is bad advice as our bodies are mostly water and salt. Salt can also reduce leg cramps, another good reason to take it.
    Bobseyes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so interesting. I added a little salt to each bottle yesterday and I actually felt better. Who knew?? I'll be doing that from now on.

      Delete
  5. Oh, about that itch.
    Next time take two of those Benadryl. You think you have an itch eh. Ha, I've had an itch from corn stuff for over 25 years now, that you wouldn't believe, way worse than what you have. People say cold on it will help, but cold is too hard to take on the whole body and I found real hot showers, or a real hot bath can relieve it for a spell. The people who say cold, never really had a real itch. :O) Lucky for them.
    The bumps on your skin are from the histamines your body is making to defend you, of which antihistamines are used to counteract that. I have them all the time. They are itchy, but harmless.
    Bobseyes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't imagine being that allergic to corn. I would go crazy!! Thank you so much for the info!!! It's getting better.

      Delete
  6. I'm with Bob on this one. Not downgrading anyone else's comments at all. All helpful advice.
    Dr.s love to tell us 'too much salt'! I don't listen and continue to add it to everything. Feel better and slow down!!
    So glad Cooper got a ball back. He looks 5 again after his haircut. 💗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew about salt and leg cramps, but never thought about the heat. I'm feeling a lot better so I'll keep shaking it on!!

      Delete
  7. Good luck with the issues. Maybe a cold pack will help with the over heating.
    I'm happy to hear that Cooper is getting back to his old self!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Deb ... me too. It hurts my hear when this little guy isn't feeling good.

      Delete