Friday, July 7, 2023

How Exciting!

Sometimes life throws things at you just to see if you can handle it.  It's called Nancy's Luck.  Once in a blue moon, it's GOOD.  Most times, not so much, but it makes for good stories to tell I guess.

The low Wednesday night was 82.  The low last night was 82.  I see a pattern here.  If you're going to do anything at all, it better be in the early morning hours, at least that's what I've noticed the birds do.  Look here ... a female (I think) cardinal.  Isn't she a beauty?


After digging around in the drip line hole and not getting a fix, I showered and headed out to drop off my quilting machine.  In spite of their big mistake of scheduling it for MAY instead of JULY, I put on a happy face.

It's a 40 minute drive.  20 minutes in when it was 8:30 am and 102 degrees, my air conditioning quit.  Big sigh .. BIG!!  How exciting!!!  Just my luck ... I'm going to die of heat stroke before I even get there.  There's no opening the windows to cool off, so I hit the inside air only button.  By the time I got there I looked like a drowned rat.  

This is how big my machine is.  Mr. Grumpy unloaded it from the back seat while she-who-made-the-mistake took my information.  That's when "those" words came from Mr. Grumpy's mouth.  Where's the computer?  

You didn't TELL me to bring the computer ... you said bring the machine!  Don't YOU have a computer?  I'm looking at a VERY hot drive back because it's now 108 degrees in Green Valley, and you want me to drive ANOTHER round trip?  


Weirdly enough, when I started my truck up again after maybe 15 minutes, the air came back on.  I prayed all the way home.  I loaded up the computer, along with an ice chest and five bottles of water.  It was 113 in my truck when I headed back.  Surprisingly the AC came on and stayed on the entire trip.  That has been added to my next week appointment at the Repair Shop for an oil and fuel filter change. $$$$

As for the roof ... the second guy showed up with a completely different angle.  This is not him.  He was a young kid who mistakenly told me he used to be a car salesman in town.  Oh yeah ... an HONEST guy I'm sure.  

Here's how it works down here ... you call, they send out a guy to take lots of pictures ... he goes back to the business and in 3 or 4 days you'll receive something via email.  This company's angle is insurance.  They take all the pictures they need to prove the roof needs to be completely replaced.  I imagine if they do that, my insurance will triple, yes?  Gosh, how much more exciting can it get??

He told me the roof needed to be completely replaced.  I'm sure that's the truth from the car salesman, right?


I finally found the paperwork that shows this roof is 19 years old.  It's a 20 year roof, so I guess the car salesman is probably right.  There's going to be a BIG expense in my near future, especially when he showed me how he could lift up an entire row of shingles with one finger, in more than one spot.

Cooper did his best to make me feel better.  The ball is back in the game.  Not only did he catch it mid air, but he rolled it back and forth for an hour.  

How can you not smile at this face!!  Due to his lack of front teeth, it rolls crooked now, but that's okay!!

When dinnertime rolled around, I wasn't very motivated.  Honestly, when you are hot all day long, it takes it out of you.  Although electricity in Arizona is much cheaper than California, they have raised their prices along with everyone else, just because they can.

I grabbed that huge pork loin I had and cut it into steaks, putting most of it in the freezer.  I have to admit, this went down quite nicely.  

Not to be outdone by yesterday, THIS morning brought it's own kind of excitement.  I can hear you laughing.  I would laugh too if it wasn't me that had to fix this.  See this nice geyser in the early morning Arizona sun?  I knew when I heard it, that was NOT a good sound.

I took one look, turned the water off and walked away.  More of Nancy's Luck has arrived.  The entire center of the sprinkler head is gone.  Big sigh.  Yet another MAN job to be tackled.  How NOT so exciting!!


 

10 comments:

  1. Yuck, I would die in that heat! We are having a very cool week. We had a couple days the highs were in the low 60's, nothing over 70!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just hearing that makes me wish I was there!! Hey, you have a great young bull rider named Justyn Woodward in your little town?

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness that must have been awful for you to have A/C problems with your truck. So glad it worked on the way back.
    Be safe out in that heat kiddo.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I discovered the secret is to stay inside. LOL

      Delete
  3. Talked to my husband about your A/C. He said the valve freezes up on them. Turning it off and turning it on was good. The part is not expensive our truck did that.
    Just thought you would like to know.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thank you Frances!!! I'll have it checked out. No way could you survive here this year without AC.

      Delete
  4. The look on Cooper's face now that he can play ball again is just precious!

    Insurance companies in Florida are refusing to insure homes with standard roofs that are more than 15 years old unless they are re-roofed -OR- it can be shown that the roof can last another 5+ years. People are complaining about the 25-40% increase in premiums in addition to this. "IF" you use Citizens Insurance (the state owned Insurance Company) you are now required to have Flood Insurance (which we already have). There is a cost to living in Hurricane Country, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow ... that's news to me! Although insurance has gone through the roof, just like everything else in the last two years.

      Delete
  5. Cute picture of Cooper. Remember when cars had no AC? I remember! Starting a vacation we would leave Yuma about 1 am. Here's hoping your friend is correct and it will be an easy fix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Elva! It wasn't much of a problem for us because we rarely ever WENT on vacations!

      Delete