Saturday, November 23, 2019

The Weirdest Thing!!!

Fate can sometimes throw a wrench into your everyday activities.  I happen to like wrenches, because they can become very exciting new adventures.  I've always been interested in art.  Do you remember back in the dark ages when you could make several drawings and send them in to the Art Studio School?

I honestly can't remember the name now, but I did that on several occasions.  I even had a sketchbook where I drew horses, lions and all manner of critters.  Believe it or not, I was actually accepted into that art school, but alas, a handsome boyfriend got in the way.  I rather doubt I could have afforded it anyway on our ranch budget of zero.

That's why things like this water color painting fascinate me so much.  Renate, a new citizen to the U.S. has been painting for about nine years with a group of like-minded people at a local church.  The original instructor was a 90-something year old amazing painter.  Her daughter has now taken over the class that meets once a week.
It was fate when I saw this image and Renate invited me to the classes.  I was all over it.  If nothing else, it will be a nice diversion from frustrating sewing projects.  Seems I'm on a roll in THAT department.  

Here's your paint palette for water colors.  It's the weirdest thing ... I even like THIS!!  Maybe I'm just attracted to color.
So here's my goal .... to be able to paint something simple like this.  I attended the class and instantly made six new friends.  I told them I've never painted anything in my life.  They said GOOD ... sit down.  Come to find out, I've known one other gal for 40 years and didn't even know she painted.

The end result is they gave me six tubes of paint and I spent two hours on the internet finding more supplies at Cheap Joes Art Stuff.  How could I lose?  I'm so excited to meet new people and start a new hobby!!  I admit, it's probably more for the fellowship, but who knows.  Maybe I'll paint something I would even hang on the wall.
When I got home, I went through all my photos looking for something nice to paint.  Cooper was on the list, but he looked so scraggily, I thought a trim might be in order.  He hated every second.
You can tell by the look on his face, but at least he's ready for his portrait, although I may have a hard time getting him to pose.  Here's the secret I learned.  You can enlarge a picture and trace it onto your paper.  No drawing involved.  Paint by numbers!!!!!  I think I can do THAT!
To while away the hours and have something delicious to eat for the next few days, I put my Chef Hat back on and made this amazing quiche.  I'm here to tell you, never make crust again.  Go to Smart and Final and buy their First Street Deep Dish Frozen Crust.  It's the flakiest I've ever eaten in my life, not to mention it cooks evenly on the bottom and browns just like on the edges.  

This recipe comes from the Pioneer Woman's website if you're interested.  I left out the artichokes and put in more bacon.  The recipe really does make TWO, so halve it if you only want one.  Boy was this GOOD!!
I'm on pins and needles waiting for my paints to arrive.  We won't meet again until after Thanksgiving, so I'm trying to be patient.  Maybe I'll sketch out one or two images and see if I've still got the touch .... or not.  The copy machine may become my best friend.




10 comments:

  1. Jon Nagy was the art school my sister sent her sketches to. And why I remember that name and not other important things, I'll never understand!!
    The quiche looks wonderful! PS - I know you love the crust but you don't even need crust for it. :) I agree about skip the artichokes and add more bacon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right Patsy .... the quiche would be fine without crust. Let's just call it my little splurge! LOL

      Delete
  2. Like Patsy we never make a crust for our Quiche.
    Never been into drawing but can make things.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you can make things. One of these days I'll learn to weld and turn it into some sort of art. I always wanted one of those junk dogs on the porch!

      Delete
  3. Painting sounds good, especially the fact that you don't have to draw. Those will be fun classes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really excited Allison. I can't wait to get started.

      Delete
  4. Something I always wanted to do, but not sure my hands will cooperate with it. For some reason I can do it with a mouse on a computer, but put a brush in my hand and it just doesn't want to cooperate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my thought exactly Dave. I'm not sure I can do it either, but I'm giving it a shot.

      Delete
  5. I have no artistic talent what so ever! Good for you, doing what you want to do! Isn't that what life's about especially as we get older. Hope your supplies get here soon! Love quiche!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind of late to get started on this sort of thing, but to be honest, everyone in this class is over 60!!

      Delete