Tuesday, February 5, 2019

The Good Old U S Post Office

I think it was better back in the days of the Pony Express.  Feed the horse and you got mail delivered.  It's not so easy today.  As you know, I've gone round and around with the Post Office in the state of California.  It seems Arizona has joined the bandwagon.

First however, good news!!  Hummers have returned to my patio.  Not in huge droves yet, but several have taken up residence in the nearby tree and are partaking of my sweet offering.  I can't wait for the rest to arrive.
Even MORE good news!  While perusing Amazon.com, I happened upon this windfall.  My morning coffee you have helped me locate in the past came up on my computer screen.  I really didn't need any, but took a quick look.  Heavens to Betsy!!!!  FOUR cans were selling for a measly $10.88 instead of the normal $24.  Someone has made a mistake.

Are you kidding me?  I was sure when I clicked a few into my basket that the price would change.  It did not.  After the first order went through and I received it, double checking the price, I ordered another round.  I am now the proud owner of 32 cans!!!  Since I began buying this coffee back in the 90's, it's never been less than $3.25 a can.  Yahoo!!!

Actually, I'm lucky I got those cans.  The Post Office decided to remove all the junk mail from my box and leave me a card saying it was being thrown away since I must not live here any more.  They even returned a check I had mailed to me.  I stopped in to say I was back, but they refused to activate my mail, meaning they won't deliver ANYTHING.

I explained I get nothing but junk mail, other than the occasional thing I might have specifically sent to me here.  They didn't care.  If I want to receive mail or packages at this address, I have to fill out paperwork.  I was just lucky they delivered my coffee instead of returning it to the sender.

Okay, why can you not deliver a package or a piece of mail if it has my name and address on it?  Nope ... can't deliver anything unless you register.  But what happens when I'm gone for a few months?  The Post Office said they would clean out the mailbox and shut me down again.  

Apparently there is a new Postmaster who is a stickler for the rules.  If you leave things in your mailbox for any time at all without cleaning it out, they will stop delivering everything and make you re-register ..... EVERY SINGLE TIME I come down here.

I thought about that for awhile and decided it was a good deal for me.  I never get the mail since it's all junk mail.  Every time I leave, they will clean out the box and throw it away at their expense.  Cool.  All I have to do is fill out cards again and again and turn them in, causing the Post Office LOADS of extra paperwork as they shut me down and open the account back up.  Is that crazy or what?????  Arizona has been watching California WAY too long.

There's been lots of rain and more rain on and off for the last couple of days, meaning finally a few nice cloudy sunsets.  
There's a small pack of coyotes hanging around that I would love to capture an image of.  They must be late risers since it's always about 10:00 in the morning when I hear and see them.  Hopefully one of these mornings I'll get close enough for a picture.  Say cheese!!!
Today is rest day before the Tubac Festival tomorrow.  You know how Miss Patty and I love to wander around THAT event!!  Oh .... and another couple of test recipes ... brownie pudding lava cake and a no-bake individual cheesecake.  How can you go wrong with dessert??  


13 comments:

  1. Now that sure was a great deal on your coffee, You now have a good supply last you for more than a few days. Nice that you got the post office sorted out until they change to rules again. Nice cloudy day pictures, so rest up and ready for the festival.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that what you are supposed to do? Stock up on supplies in case of the Big One?? Well I'm ready!!

      Delete
  2. Why can't you have your mail held while you're gone. They don't hold the junk stuff just first class mail. You can fill out the forms online to hold the mail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They won't hold it for 3 months. I might have it forwarded, but that costs too much. I'll check out the website again.

      Delete
  3. We pay for a PO Box (Suite) through our Storage Company. We notify them when we leave and they hold everything for us, Junk included.
    Nice Sunsets.
    Be Safe around the sneaky Coyotes and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice of them to do that. Unfortunately, not all provide the same service. A post office box will cost around $300 a year. Ugh!!

      Delete
  4. What a deal on your coffee! You got a break on something! Now the Post Office is a different matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping it wasn't just a mistake and they charge me later! LOL

      Delete
  5. Nancy, try this.... Forward Mail | USPS - USPS.com
    https://www.usps.com/manage/forward.htm

    How It Works. If you're making a permanent move, use this service to update your address. If your move is temporary, you can use this service for as short as 15 days or as long as 1 year. Direct your mail to a new address with a few clicks and a $1.05 charge to your credit card (the charge verifies your identity).

    (all of that is right off their website) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should I add....When you leave Cal for AZ, forward your Cal mail to AZ...when you leave AZ for Cal, forward your AZ mail to Cal.

      Delete
    2. I'll check again Dave. The last time I had my mail forwarded it cost me $17 a week. Thanks for the info.

      Delete
  6. I did not know the Post Office would preform that service for us, get rid of the junk mail if we leave it there to long...lol Then after you fill out some paperwork you get to start the process all over again. The best thing is even if you pick up other mail you know you can leave behind the junk mail and they will take care of it. I guess the saying is true you learn something new every day...:) Plus, they are helping to keep the paper industry in business...I see a win/win for every one. Great sunset pictures.

    ReplyDelete