Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Poof ... It's All Gone

The last vestiges of that beautiful white snow disappeared yesterday.  It was totally anticlimactic.  I expected symbols and drums.  Instead, it all went away very quietly.  The roads are now clear and sadly, 4WD is not necessary.  It sure was fun while it lasted.
That doesn't mean it got warm however.  With 15 mph winds blowing around some icy air, it stayed cold most of the day.  I'm looking forward to no-jacket days.  This morning's 35 degrees hasn't helped.

It was a fun morning with the girls as Shirley helped me figure out how to cut out two quilts.  Here's my tip of the day.  When you buy material, ALWAYS write down which one you are making and what SIZE, so you don't spend hours trying to figure out if you have enough to finish the project.

I also learned how to fix a quilt your little puppy has chewed on.  Apparently Pat's baby likes the taste of  binding, because he ate holes in about six places.  What's the fix you ask?  Cut off an inch all the way around and rebind it.  Then put it on the top shelf where puppy cannot reach!!

I've got two meals left from Hello Fresh to cook up for dinner.  Check this out!!  This is their pork cutlet apple salad with greens dinner.
And this is MINE!!  Not bad!!!  Unfortunately, there was twice the food I should have eaten, so I was quickly miserable.  I didn't share the bread.  That stuff soaked in garlic butter was a big hit.  
Unfortunately, when I went to place the next weeks order, even though their prices said $5.99 per serving, times 6 meals (3 dinners for two people) should have been around $40.  I finally spotted the total at the bottom of $73.  Something didn't quite compute.  

I gathered up my adding machine and made a trip to the store to discover I can buy the food myself, the equivalent of the same 6 meals, for $58 (less if anything is on sale).  I really did like having things delivered to the door, so I may just accept their half off offer for another week or so.  The food really was delicious!!  I guess I'm just becoming lazy in my old age.

In the meantime, Jonathan is unhappy that he's not getting his usual piece of banana bread for breakfast.  It's hard keeping all these critters happy!!  So I whipped some up Hawaiian style with pineapple.  Oh yes, I get a slice every now and then too!!
Dinner was wonderful split pea soup made by Chef Patty at her house while I cruised through her computer looking for a letter writing program.  All computers have something akin to Microsoft Word.  It just took me awhile to dig through all the menus before finding it buried under accessories.  In return, I printed out some paperwork for me.  In spite of the heater in the rig, that cold spell froze up my ink cartridges, which is why they tell you to keep your printer in a warm place.  

What about the printer Lynn and Dave gave me?  I need to find a USB cable to make a direct attachment to my computer.  No biggie .. Walmart will have one and I'll be in like Flynn.

In the meantime, I'm off to Lowe's for big bricks to build a mow strip at the end of my lawn.  Not that it's going to be mowed for a long time ... the grass is nicely dead from the cold weather and snow.  At least I'll get some exercise and maybe warm up a little.





9 comments:

  1. Nice to here that your snow is finally gone , now if it could just warm up there a bit things would be much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One never gets lazy in their old age, as one ages you just get better at time management. I stopped carrying a printer. Never had a cartridge freeze, but they would dry up from non use. Found FedEx stores would do the printing. The warm weather is so near now. Going to have to look to see where I put the fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your thinking Peter!!! Time management .... Ha!!! The weather is just crazy, but I guess that Arizona for ya!

      Delete
  3. Trust me you’re Lawn ain’t dead. With all that snow you got about a half inch slow releasing rain Snow is just mother nature‘s way of keeping your grass protected 1 foot of snow equals 1 inch of rain
    So when mother nature wakes up next month your going to have a lot of flowers and grass

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I better gas up the lawnmower?? Actually Mother Nature's timing was perfect. I have a digging project in the back yard.

      Delete
  4. I was buying those pre-cut salad bags...then I thought, "Hey, I worked in a restaurant for 14 years, I have cut so many heads of lettuce/romaine in my life that I still dream about it. Same with the cut veggies for soup. Now I have been buying the whole head of lettuce, full squash, celery, even the onions and peppers. What I found is that the quality is better, they last much longer, and hey...what's another 5-10 minutes in the kitchen. I figure I save about 30-40% off the pre-cut stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right Dave. I try to buy salads based on the pull date, but they rarely last three days in the fridge.

      Delete
  5. I connected the printer wirelessly. Worked great.

    ReplyDelete