Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Neither Rain Nor Snow Nor .......

I woke up to this at 4 am this morning.  It's been raining on and off all night and just turned to sleety/snow.  What in the world has gone wrong with Arizona??  It's supposed to be 31 degrees by 7:00.  Not to be outdone, my other house (elevation 150 feet) is down to 30 with snow predicted for this week.

Neither rain nor snow nor gloom of night .... well forget that, I'm spending as much time inside as I can.  Oh yes, it's going to get worse too.  This is crazy.  Don't they know I just got some new tools I want to use and I can only work with them outside???
I have to say it has not bothered the trains, although they must have gotten hung up somewhere along the way.  In the last thirty minutes, six trains have passed by.  That's highly unusual for this time of the morning!!  

I've been trying hard to stay out of the fridge without much success.  I actually finished the backing on two quilts, getting them ready for my quilter.  Then I finished up this one.  I was just trying to use up what we call a jelly roll ... a big roll of various fabrics already cut into two inch strips.  It's not my favorite colors so I'm glad it's done and I can get on to something else.  
Like cooking!!!  Do you see a trend here??  Here's another Hello Fresh meal.  I keep picking various meatloaves because they are cheap and semi-diet friendly.  This one required the sweet potatoes be boiled and mashed, but I liked them so much roasted, I put everything on a pan in a 425 degree oven and baked them for ten minutes.
Then I added green beans and a balsamic/ketchup sauce to the meat.  That paper is parchment paper.  I was over all the dish washing almost instantaneously with the first meal.  Another fifteen minutes and dinner was served.
This is theirs ......
This is mine.  Okay, I admit the green beans were NOT done.  They were mighty crunchy, but edible. Keep in mind there are three servings this size out of the two-meal package.  Not bad as long as I keep the dish washing to a minimum!!  
Actually I made this a couple nights ago.  Yesterday, Miss Patty and I met up with Pat at a new restaurant in town .... Opa's.  They were open at one point, then closed their doors.  Now open in a new location with new owners, we decided to check it out.  

The waiter is from Turkey, his Dad from Greece and they can make some amazing food.  Gosh I wish I had remembered to take a picture.  Patty had a Greek Salad, covered in enough gyro meat to choke a horse.  Not only that, but it was the best meat I've ever eaten.  I'm not kidding ... THE most tender, tasty beef I've had in ages.  Yes, they have lamb, but remember, I'm a COWgirl.

Now I'm determined to find out how to make it.  Probably not possible without the huge spit that turns it around.  I WAS able to find the secret to how tender it was however .... white wine vinegar.  If you haven't eaten there, you should definitely put it on your list (hint hint Dave and Marcia).

Patty and I ate so much food I didn't eat dinner.  Didn't even want to think about it.  My glazed pork chop meal is still in the fridge.  

So that's it ... another day in paradise turned frozen.  It doesn't bode well for the rodeo we are scheduled to attend on Friday.  Weather guessers say 21 degrees with snow.


12 comments:

  1. That cold weather there is just not right, sure glad we did not get the snow. We have been lucky with blue skies, sunshine and a pice out of the wind. I like the crunchy better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping this is a fluke and won't happen again!!!

      Delete
  2. You Californians Call it pineapple express but it’s actually
    El Nino ,,,, Yes it does affect Arizona
    https://www.sacbee.com/news/weather/article220259190.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you say so ..... I just call it COLD!! Good grief, it puts a crimp in my style!!

      Delete
  3. Something is awry in paradise, Nancy. There and even here with the 60F we're expecting today. LOL I haven't worn my shorts since the Q, I don't think.
    Nice quilt and your meal looks yummy again. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally correct!! I brought mostly warm weather clothes and I'm freezing!!

      Delete
  4. This year's weather is so not right. Does that sound Californian. Been way to cold this year but better they they are getting in Canada.
    Nice looking Quilt.
    Be Safe and Stay warm.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha yes it does sound Californian!!! Chilly city!!!

      Delete
  5. Worst winter EVER! Awhile ago, Alton Brown did a segment on how to do gyros in the oven. I'm not sure what network he was on at the time. Might be worth a google search for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree Allison. I sure hope it warms up soon! Interesting note about Alton Brown. I'll see if I can find that recipe.

      Delete
  6. WELL, since you suggested it...we HAVE THE BEST Gyros here in Tarpon Springs, by far! "IF" they do it right, and most don't, the Gyro is a combination of Beef and Lamb and Pork. Many places have either pork, or a beef/lamb combo...but true Gyros here in the states have Beef, Lamb and Pork. HOWEVER, I am always willing to try new places. Just not sure if we are going through Tucson this year or not...it sure sounds good. BTW: the "G" is silent, sounds more like the word "HERO" without the "H"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you found the best, Dave. I love that you and Marcia have rated most of the Greek restaurants, which I probably never would have visited if it weren't for Marcia. I think this one was all beef. I'm not really a lamb person.

      Delete