Wednesday, January 6, 2016

NICK, Where Are You??

I really hate to blame just one person for such bad weather, but Nick Russell of Gypsy Journal fame (not to mention renowned author) MUST be in the neighborhood!!  For about the last three years, everywhere Nick goes, so goes the rain and wind.  Yes friends, it's a sad but true fact.  It rained pretty much all day yesterday.  In the afternoon, it rained so hard, I got a flood warning on my phone for the Indio, La Quinta area.  The Call of the Wild apparently brought the jungle weather along with it.
Patty Chance and I took off early in the morning on a quilt fabric run.  I was SURE I knew the way, but of course got us lost in a construction zone of major proportions.  Between our two phones, we finally arrived .... or at least thought we did.  Another block walking and we found it!!  Monica's Quilt and Bead has lots of great fabric and millions of beads.

With a nice purchase and a couple of patterns in our bags, we returned just in time for more rain.
It wouldn't have been so bad had we all been on the asphalt, but those on the gravel lot were in need of rubber boots.  Ed Price knocked on my door about 3:00 saying his power was out, so I called upon Mr. Chance, who immediately figured out what the problem was.  With a little extra power cord extended, Ed was plugged in to another outlet and YAY ... Power!!!

We had another happy hour planned prior to the Volunteer free dinner, but with rain coming down hard, we cancelled.  There was so much noise on my roof, I had to turn the television volume almost all the way up.  I love the sound of rain, but really, there is NOT enough room on my lap for two dogs.

Patty and Dan drove over to pick me up for dinner.  When I tried to step over the big puddle in the bottom left corner of this picture, I sunk about three inches!!  Watch out for that first step!!
The streets of Indio were flooded as we drove over to The Fisherman for some of the best seafood we've had short of Oregon.  On the way back, it was even worse, with torrents running down the middle of the road ... flooding everywhere!!  

Lucky for us, Dan's Jeep is 4-wheel drive (and he's a great driver) as we plowed through a foot of water at the driveway to the fairgrounds and slogged through the mess to our rigs.  This morning by 5:00 however, most of the water had disappeared.  Thank heavens the Golden Spike crew didn't float away.  

I've no idea what it will be like the rest of the week.  Some weather forecasters say rain, some say sun, so who knows!!  I'm definitely campaigning for sun when it comes to the ice cream social!!  The sad news is that the attendance is WAY down for the Western Motorhome Association rally.  Come on folks ... a little rain never hurt anyone ... come on out and enjoy the animals the Call Of The Wild brought in!!




7 comments:

  1. Vyaadka always hear weathermen are dumb as rock. Vyaadka disagree. Rock best weather forecaster of all. If rock is dry, no rain. If rock is wet, rain. If rock is spinning, you have too much Vodka.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you are right .... and the rock has been VERY wet!!

      Delete
  2. And if you're not nice to me, a plague of locusts may follow! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha I have NO doubt of that Mr. Russell!! I'll be nice!!

      Delete
  3. As the saying goes rain rain go away push it over to California way
    Just the mention of Mr Nick thinking of meandering east in the spring
    Drop the temperature down to 61° Cloudy and rainy
    I think we're going to rename our weather cycle El Nick-o instead of El Nino.
    Wow a plague of locusts. COOL BUT I thought we got rid of those Witches of Salem back in the 1800s. Well I guess One or two slipped through.
    Either that or an RV gypsy spell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I vote for RV gypsy spell!! California is certainly catching up on their rain quota!!

      Delete
    2. Slap slap slap slap. Boy was I off on my history Way big time but only by 200 years the Burning of witches in Salem Massachusetts was1692
      OK for the history lesson there were 200 people that were accused of practicing witchcraft and Devils magic but only 20 were executed
      But on a brighter note the colony admitted there was a mistake in the trial and they compensate The family,s

      Delete