Friday, August 7, 2026

A SLOW DAY

It was an ugly 102 degree day which left an overnight low of 70.  It got so warm in the house that the AC ran most of the night.  You know what that means ..... Nancy got no sleep and is a grump this morning.  Kitters tried to change the atmosphere by sleeping on the bed.  It worked.  Oh and by the way, we are up to lizard #13.  


I started the day out right with a 2 mile run , admiring the sunflowers along the way.  I asked my phone what those weed-like sunflowers along the road were called and it said weed-like sunflowers.  Really?  

Running always puts me behind my schedule, but I sure feel better when I take the time.  The good news is the after burn the next day is getting better also.  Spending the extra time to stretch afterwards, helps too.
 

I was stalked by Kitters the rest of the morning.  Everywhere I go, there she is.  She can be sleeping on the chair when I sneak into the laundry room on tiptoe ... and when I turn around, there she is!!


The only thing on the menu for today was a doctor's appointment.  I haven't been to one in years basically, and since I just weaned myself off one of my long time drugs, I thought I should check in.  It was made all the more difficult by the fact that NO ONE is taking new patients.  My old ones retired and closed down shop.  I've no idea what happened to the medical records, but apparently they were destroyed.  More on that later.

It's been so hot that sleeping doesn't come easy.  I have one set of sheets that are the coolest and the best I've ever had.  I checked the tag to see they were actually Hotel Sheets made specifically for Walmart.  Least that's what it said.  I checked online and found what appeared to be the exact same ones.  It took two weeks to get them, only to find out they are HORRIBLE.  So very thin, not "crispy" and do not have the heavy elastic bottom to keep them on the bed.  How disappointing!  The only good thing about them is the color!!  Note to self ... go to the store and buy your sheets.


So on to the doctor story.  He was East Indian, but wasn't I surprised when he spoke English just like me.  It helped that he was a gorgeous man besides ... maybe in his 40's.  I had to give him the highlights since there were no records to scan, then asked about my blood pressure.  It's not bad, but not as good as a spring chicken.  

I was shocked to hear him say it was good I quit taking one of my meds.  Because I'm a runner, my heart rate is VERY low and it was making it lower.  On the other hand, he wanted to change the one med I'm taking.  He says mine messes up your electrolytes.  Well can't I just get more electrolytes?  He changed it to something my friend took for two years that caused her legs to swell up, lots of leg cramps and other ugly problems.  

Ummm that will probably be a no on that one.  He prescribed it so I suppose I'll have to go pick it up, but I doubt I will take it.  I don't trust doctors much ... especially after CoVid ... so we'll see how it goes.  I think you have to do your own due diligence.  I'll do more research on the matter and see what comes up.  So far it seems to me that all those drugs used to lower your blood pressure have bad side effects.  Anyone else have problems like that?

Back home, I look out the window at Cooper's shrub all day long.  I went out to be sure it was still doing well.  It's full of buds and starting to bloom once again.  It makes me smile every time.


Dinner was nothing spectacular.  Tomatoes and leftover stuff just to clean out the fridge.  A tiny piece of cheesecake with plum jam topped it off.  I have to find out the name of those plums because that's the best stuff I've eaten in ages!!

There were more evening clouds, but unlike other places, no beautiful sunset colors appeared.  


Just because I didn't do anything else really FUN on this day, I did find this picture of our ancient hotel, built in 1928, now made into apartments that are probably being trashed.  It used to say HOTEL TIOGA on top.  The lights change color every night.  On this night however, the red was pretty appropriate since the local Fire Department was doing practice runs at night in all the big buildings in town.

Apparently that is done so if a REAL fire appears, they will already know how to get in, where the stairwells are and how the place is set up.  It makes it faster to get inside and do their job.  Anyone else's fire department do this?  I mean really ... how smart is that??


That was it ... a rather boring day to be sure.  It won't be much better today since all I have scheduled is a haircut.  Oh the fun!!  It would be SO much more entertaining if I still had this boy to keep me company and play steal the toy.  




16 comments:

  1. Such a sweet pic of Cooper!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cooper's pictures add a smile to my face as well.
    I wish I could get back to exercising but need to watch Kathy.
    Medications don't always affect everyone the same way. Just give them a try.
    Stay Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard not to smile at that cute little guy. I probably should try the meds, but research shows the side effects hit most everyone.

      Delete
  3. Mr. Ed said, isn’t it funny how most doctors want to change your meds right off the bat … Be careful of your meds whatever he prescribes for you. Look it up on pill finder, symptoms, and side effects. If the pill is splittable, you could start out at half a pill And then watch for side effects as far you needing more electrolyte that’s easy Gatorade, or a drink that has that feature in it with or without the sugar, but be careful of caffeine. or over-the-counter vitamin B12 vitamin C,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm never thought of checking electrolytes and vitamin reactions. That's what I thought too ... gatorade.

      Delete
  4. I would research the drug before I started taking it. I am on one that lowers blood pressure (which I don't need), however it helps with the circulation in my feet. Circulation and neuropathy have been bad since chemo 15 years ago. The doctor did cut the dosage as I was having episodes of light headedness (side effect) which is not good. Good luck and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm doing ... looking at the side effects of a new drug. I have none now and have been on this one for maybe 4 years.

      Delete
  5. I take Maxide and Amlodipine which brings my blood pressure low enough to not shock the doctor but not actually as low as normal. No side effects for me.

    You do not have to pick up medicine the doctor prescribes. If you are not going to take it anyway, just let the pharmacy put it back in stock. I have done that a couple times. No sense in paying for it.
    Linda Sand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding. That Rx can sit there until the cows come home. No way I would pay for something I know I'm not going to take.

      Delete
    2. That's what my friend told me ... just leave it there. I didn't know you could do that.

      Delete
  6. The trust is gone. He's just another pill pusher. He can go back to India and take his 50 family members with him. Don't care, not sorry. Big pharma keeps changing the goal post. High blood pressure is lower than it used to be and our brains RUN ON CHOLESTEROL so those meds are causing dementia. People believe these assholes. Like Anthony Fauxi, trust the science? The man is the biggest mass murderer in history!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree I was surprised he wanted to change the meds immediately. And I am not a pill person. That's why I'm researching it first.

      Delete
  7. Nancy, long-time follower. Try the Lands End 400 count Premium Supima cotton Sateen bed sheets. They are pricey but the best sheets ever. On sale now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You probably know my response to the medication. I don't trust most and would really research but not on the basic sites. There are many good 'behind the scenes' researchers who know better and are not in it for the $$. Just be careful. I don't know anyone on bp pills that haven't experienced side effects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want Bill off the statins and that is a hard sell that a doctor would never agree to.

      Delete