Friday, September 28, 2018

Spider City!!!!

What a nice welcome home I received.  A bite of some sort right on my forearm.  I guess there are critters here that don't like me, just like in Arizona.  I noticed it while unpacking yesterday.  A little magic cortisone cream has taken care of it nicely.  No itching and I never noticed it at the time.  Weird!!  I guess I just attract creepy crawlies.
The first order of business was to empty the fridge and park myself on the couch.  That didn't last long.  The smell when returning to a house that's been locked up tight is not something I like.  It even keeps me awake at night.  

I grabbed my tallest ladder from the garage and climbed up to replace the filters.  Yup .... waaaaayyy up there.  Whoever invented the grates must snicker with joy at the frustration they cause.  Once I finally got the new filter in place, the door wouldn't shut.  My first thought was a hammer, but I finally got it locked in without falling off the ladder.
With that done, I turned on the fan and opened the outside door to let in the wonder 65 degree air.  It's cool in California at night and only up to 80-somthing during the day.  Not that I'm gloating or anything!!!  Next up .... light every candle thing I have so the smell of cinnamon will pervade the house.

I got cleaned up enough to make a quick trip to the post office in the afternoon.  Amazingly, there was still room in the box.  If I cancel a couple of those magazine subscriptions, I'll be in good shape for any 4 month trip.  

There was a stack of ads six inches high when I got through sorting them on the post office floor.  I filled their garbage bin to the top.  No use ME paying to haul off that junk!!  The next three hours was spent going through the envelopes.  Sort, sort, throw away and keep in the big box on the office floor. At the end of the year, the "keep" box goes in the garage.  It's your typical accountant filing system.

About that time I happened to go out the front door.  Yikes!!  I got hit in the face by spider webs.  Good grief!!  I think they have almost covered the entire house!!  I grabbed a handy dandy duster on a stick and went to work.  

It must be a bumper crop year for spiders because I've never seen so many webs here before.  No black widows, except a couple of dead ones on the garage floor where I sprayed before leaving.  These are mostly daddy long legs.  Maybe I should have left them for Halloween!!
In regards to the Pumpkin Patch, MY work schedule doesn't begin until Monday.  I'm on the board for 9-4:00 roaming .... meaning I get to do whatever I want.  How fun is THAT going to be!!  I get to do a little of everything and play with the school kids as we shuttle 5,000 of them around the patch to ride the rides and pick out pumpkins.  That doesn't count all the birthday parties on the schedule either.

In the meantime, I've been a little distracted the last couple of days.  There have been some incidences of cancer that have wreaked havoc on my friends here.  It's a horrible disease that has caused tragic things to happen.  I'll be spending the next two days with one family, trying to help the Mom get through this.  At least she won't be alone.






8 comments:

  1. Nice spider bite! Sorry about your friends...we have a lady at church that has gone through bone marrow procedure to help with her Leukemia. She came to church for the first time in six months last Sunday, lost about 100 pounds, but seems to be gaining strength.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang spiders!!!! Wow ... bone marrow transplant ... cancer is a terrible thing.

      Delete
  2. Amazing where all those spider webs come from, glad you only got one bite.
    Looks like you will be having too much fun again at the pumpkin patch. Cancer is one horrible disease, nice that you can help someone out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those webs come from a LOT of very PROLIFIC spiders! LOL

      Delete
  3. Even here the Spiders have been bad. Everyone we talk to personally comment on them. Nasty Bite.
    Kathy and I know all too well the effects of Cancer on loved ones. A heart-breaker in one sense but it helped us find each other. We'll be praying for your friend.
    Be Safe!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything has it's time I suppose ... spiders, scorpions .... I'm going to blame it on the weather!

      Delete
  4. Mosquito bite
    You need a pat on the back you have bigger Shoes than I do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only because by the grace of God I'm not in the same boat.

      Delete