Monday, June 30, 2014

Tornado Warning!!!

So you think you're old and can't get around very fast??  Just wait until your weather radio blasts out a TORNADO WARNING about 8:00 pm.  Let me tell you, I can move a lot quicker than I thought!!

Yesterday began with an amazing Elks Belgian Waffle breakfast, complete with eggs, bacon, homemade cinnamon rolls and juice.  This lodge is pretty new and simply gorgeous inside.
Then it was back to the rigs for some Sunday Morning TV.  My bug bites were getting the best of me, so I headed off to a Pharmacy looking for a quick fix, and checked out Boot Barn.  They had a huge sign over the door ... GRAND OPENING ... except they were closed.  Talk about false advertising, all I could see was large paint cans on the floor.  A stop at Target for After Bite itchy medicine and (don't tell anyone) Michaels for some $1.99 yarn, I settled myself in to the couch for some knitting and puppy time.  After our previous incident of Sneaky Britches Pansy, Jessie kept an eye on her all afternoon.
At 5:00 we drove the short distance to CULVERS for dinner.  I understand this is one of Nick Russell's favorite burger places.  Since I noticed the dangerous words "frozen custard" on the way in, I didn't have a famous butter burger, but a salad ... because I KNEW a Turtle Sundae would be a treat I couldn't turn down.  I was right ... it screamed my name and I jumped all over it!!!  YUM!!
Around 6:30 is when the first tornado watch happened.  Unlike before when I made a mad dash for the Westerfield rig to see what we were going to do, I tried to remain calm and cool when the radio blast went off.  There were still lots of people at the Elks Lodge, and I'm sure they will let us in the building ... which has walls of glass ... probably not much help.
When the SECOND notice came screeching over the radio and it said TAKE COVER, I was a goner!!  In two seconds I was in the Westerfield rig, where Tom explained he had knocked on the Elks door and asked about a keycard to get us in, just in case.  They told him they never had a tornado here and there were no keycards to give out.  Yikes!!  I guess we're on our own!!  After checking out all the radar maps we could find, the "not-yet" tornado storm was passing by us to the North.  Back at my rig, I watched the news until 9:30 when the NOW tornado touched down in Atchison Kansas, about 70 miles Northwest,  I breathed a huge sign of relief ... WHEW that was a close one!!!

I'm pretty sure I lost another six months of life after that scare, but I guess seeing the U.S. is still better than sitting in a rocker on the porch!!  The bug bites??  They're not much better.  I did read that they don't like vinegar or lemon juice ... mix some with water and spray on your legs to keep them away.  I did one better ... I sprayed my entire RV, including the bed sheets inside and out, with a vinegar mixture.  No new bites this morning, so we'll see how it goes.  Pretty sure I won't be meeting any nice gentleman though, since vinegar perfume isn't the best!!


No comments:

Post a Comment