Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Bullwhips and Lace!!!

Pretty crazy combination, huh??  But that was yesterday's adventure!  As I mentioned, Barbara and Tom took off for the "presentation" that allowed us discount tickets to the Shepherd Of The Hills "Roundup On The Trail" dinner show.  Apparently it went very well ... not that they bought anything!!  They spent most of the time talking to the salesman about his life and his new fifth wheel trailer, about their RV life and about geocaching!!  That was a pleasant way to spend the morning!!

I loaded up my GPS and went to Old Town Branson for a little shopping.  Okay, it was a LOT of shopping!!  Trouble is, I spent so much time in one store that I only got to check out ONE block!!  I was lucky enough to find a parking space, and wandered in to the first store I came to ... Victorian House.  Yup, my keys were safely chained to my purse!!  WOW!!!  If you think you were born in the wrong era, this is the store you need to visit for home decorations.  They had some of the most amazing drapes, curtains and furniture I've seen!!  If you venture way in the back, she even has clothing, including a big sale rack.  I honed in on that like a fly to honey!!  There are three pieces here, and they match my chocolate brown vintage boots perfectly!!  I can't wait to wear this in Kansas City!!
Patty Chance asked if I really had any room left in my closet, and NO, I don't.  I even went so far as to buy very slim clothes hangers to make more room.  Since it's been so hot, I'll move all my jackets to the basement so I can squeeze in a few more items!!

I walked through a couple more stores, but didn't find anything interesting.  On the way home I looked in the Flea Market Building for a small couch-side table, but nothing spoke to me.  I spent the rest of the afternoon with the puppies in the rig while the rain fell ALL day!!

At 4:00 I began wondering where the Westerfields were ... dinner was supposed to be at 4:45.  Like magic, Barbara called to say they had been routed all over Branson to get the dinner tickets and would be late.  No problem, I'll just meet you there!!  I rushed along at a snails pace ... it took me 40 minutes to go about 7 miles.

This group of Gents put on a great show for anyone who likes Western music ... and even if you don't, the food was chuck house good and the comedy funny.  Called New Trails, they have been playing here at Christmas for the last ten years.  Now they play everything from old time country to swing to original songs most every night of the week.  At first glance, we thought Nick Russell had taken up a new occupation as a singing cowboy!!
While the guys serenaded the crowd, we ate a chuck wagon dinner, including smoked turkey and brisket, beans, dutch oven taters (my dad's were tastier, but I'm prejudiced), fire roasted corn on the cob and awesome sweet tea!!  The service was spectacular!!!
The comedy rolled and the rope twirled as the audience laughed at their antics.  These guys were pretty funny!!  The double bullwhip popping was exciting ... I thought he was going to pop himself!!!  With baseball chest protector, face mask and helmet, one guy held a piece of newspaper while the other cut it in half until there was only two one-inch pieces left.  THAT was pretty impressive!!
In a shooting demonstration with a .45 hogleg (not really) this poor scared little girl had to hold the ax up high to split the bullet that broke the two balloons the cowboy was holding.
Having downed dinner and four mason jars of sweet tea, it was time to hit the road for home.  Wait ... I have time for one quick stop at Apple Hill, a huge building where everyone rents a space to sell their "stuff", but I found no treasures to take home. 

The rain is falling already this morning and I have no idea what's on the menu!!  Whatever it is, I'm sure it will be tasty!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment