Thursday, August 3, 2023

WE HAVE ROOF .....

Well partial roof.  Things are heating up this week in Tucson, so hopefully we will be "sans" rain for a day or two.  I made a quick trip down to the water station to fetch the camera.  This stood out like a sore thumb.  Those ants have gathered up these tiny leaves, apparently to feed their kids.  Truthfully, this gives me the creeps!  I did some research on my termites and ants ... I'll post that tomorrow.


I took a quick walk to find several big cactus plants like this one.  They grow so huge that the big winds knock them over.  Sometimes if there is enough rain, they will root where every piece hits the ground.  This guy was out of luck.


THIS ... it's amazing.  There are lots of these barrel cactus on the property, and all are starting to bloom.


The colors are just beyond belief.  Here we are in the middle of green and brown, yet these are orange like the sunset.


I got back to the house just in time to meet these guys.  Wow ... I had no idea just how much work went into replacing a roof.  There were six guys to start, ripping the old roof off in sections.  Then they went to scraping and hammering, following by nailing.  I would say maybe half of the old is gone and only a quarter of the new installed.


I've never heard so much racket.  Sadly, the only scenic outlook is down the hill, so there are no pictures.    He said the shingles were toast, but I knew that.


Just a snippet video so you too can experience the wonderful sound of roofing.  Good grief!!  I gave up on the TV and spent most of the afternoon cutting out another quilt.  What dust there might have been hanging from the ceiling and the ceiling fans inside, is now deposited on the floor.  I sneezed all afternoon as they pounded away.


Cooper did his usual Watch Pup impression, going crazy every time he saw one of the guys go by one of the four windows.  You can imagine the din.  I didn't stop him because truly, he IS a good watch dog and I don't want to stop that activity.

This is as good as I could get.  I got the lighter shade of gray so it would reflect the sun better during the summer.  He said they will do the other side of the building today, which I can see if I crawl up the hill.  I doubt they will finish today however.  They still have the entire garage and half the house to roof.  Maybe I can find a pair of ear plugs.


Did the quilting machine repair guy show up?  That would be a no.  At least he called to say he would be by this morning.  I told him what it was doing and he said he would bring his entire supply of parts ... just to be sure he had the "fix".  It's okay, I probably couldn't concentrate with the noise anyway.

As for the termites and/or ants ... I have both, but neither of those are a problem.  I'll explain in tomorrow's exciting blog ... Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Termites In Arizona!!


13 comments:

  1. Yay you are getting your roof. It certainly does make dust everywhere.
    Can't wait to hear about the termites tomorrow.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to mention...when roof is complete check your yard for nails and staples you don't need flat tires.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy it's me again, husband says those look like carpenter ants and they are bad news.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never would have thought of that. Thank you so much! With my luck, I'd end up with a couple in my foot.

      Delete
  4. Reroofing is one of my least favorite jobs ever. Especially the taking off of the old shingles. Then there is the heat. Those shingles just radiate that heat. No thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe these kids worked so hard ... all day long ... with only one lunch break. They said they are used to it, but man what a terrible job!!

      Delete
  5. As you likely know by now ants and termite nests are everywhere. You'd have to do all your neighbors and the whole desert to win on them. Both those guys propagate about the same. It's the same in the forest where I live and likely all over the world. There's supposed to be more of them than anything else in the world.
    Bobseyes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree ... but just the name brings fear to my body! LOL

      Delete
  6. You might be surprised...they just might be done with it all by days end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were pretty darn close! The garage is the last to go and they should finish that today.

      Delete
  7. Yay for the new roof! The noise is worth it, i bet. Good job, Coop, protect your Mama from those men!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That he did ... I was surprised he was so aggressive about it! LOL

      Delete