Friday, August 4, 2023

A Comedy Of Errors

What can you do but laugh!!  One problem after another has beset this house and I'm pleased to say it wasn't my fault.  If it was, I would feel even worse!!  First up ... termites.

SO ... these are not termites.  These are carpenter ants that have set up housekeeping by the water tank.  No surprise ... there's water there.  They may get in your house, but they won't EAT your house.  It seems the entire state of Arizona is a huge honeycomb for ants.


Here's a couple up close, though they didn't follow my instructions to smile for the camera.  There's one carrying those leaf pieces.
 

Here's the official picture taken by Arizona Pest Control.  Those that were flying around the yard?  Those were indeed termites, but THOSE are not a real threat around here.  Rarely do you have to contact a pest control company for them.


Here's one of the carpenter ants eating one of the flying somethings.  Sorry he's blurry ... he just would NOT stand still for a photo.


These ... THESE are the problem around here.  They are subterranean termites that will definitely snack on your house if they get the chance.  They are blind ... and they make little mud tunnels up from the ground going up your foundation.  They have even been known to make those same little tunnels inside the house going down the wall.  Nasty little critters.

I got out my Sherlock Holmes magnifying glass and checked both the exterior and the interior.  I see no little trails anywhere.  So for the moment ... I can relax about the termite action.  Should I see anything like that, I will call a pest control company to come drill holes and deposit poison.  Not that your house will fall down on your head, or that you will fall through the floor (said BobsEyes) but they can cause some damage.


There you go ... termites 101.  I'm sure there's lots more to learn about them, but the less I know the better I feel.

As for the quilting machine ... THAT was a comedy of errors.  I was not amused, but I laughed because I didn't want to scream HE'S AN IDIOT!!  

Here's the story ... My machine ended up at the repair shop where it was repaired.  Then it was driven BACK to the main store where the Manager would pick it up and deliver it to me.  When he arrived, the USB port to the computer had been smashed, apparently by the DRIVER because it was fine when it left the repair shop.

Another day goes by and that gets fixed with a replacement part.  It still doesn't work.  Finally the SECOND repairman shows up with a big box of parts.  The DRIVER had also smashed the encoder at the bottom of the machine.  That's a pretty pricey part that I don't have to pay for.  In fact, all of this was no cost to me.  With both of those things fixed, I was ready to roll.


BUT WAIT ... I can only see half of the screen.  I can't see or reach the part of the touch screen that I need in order to tell it what to do.  I called two shops, but they were all too busy.  I called the manufacturer HandiQuilter and luckily reached a very patient lady.

It took us 45 minutes on the phone to finally get the entire screen to show up.  It's a Windows based computer.  Nancy should not work on that stuff when she is frustrated.  Thankfully the nice lady didn't hang up on me.  At long last, I was back in business and surrounded by 85 pieces of paper describing what to do ... I just had to figure out which one was going to work.

At long last, I finished TWO quilts before my legs gave out, four hours later.  I literally have to relearn the entire machine ... but I'm getting there.  It's a challenge.


The roof is coming along nicely.  They will return to do the garage today, at the same time the plumber is going to fix my sprinkler plumbing.  Slowly but surely ... with lots of patience ... this too shall pass.


14 comments:

  1. Nice to get the roof done! Love the quilt - the machine not so much. Nice sunrise this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Ed said how / And where do they raise their young? Here lies the key question
    So Well, I hate to admit it you’re 🐜ALMOST absolutely right No, they DON,T EAT WOOD however, if you’ve ever been to New York City they love their Subway tunnels. carpenter 🐜ants, love, subway, tunnels, too. Now you need to read the part where it says, how carpenter🐜 ants CAN destroy a wooden house

    Carpenter ants 🐜 Camponotus spp., are found across the United States. These large, typically black, ants can pose a problem if they decide that your trees or home look like a prime spot for a nest site. Given their name, it's no wonder people often ask, "Do carpenter 🐜ants eat wood?" But the answer is actually no. So, what do carpenter 🐜ants eat? Keep reading to find out.
    Because carpenter🐜 ants are often seen coming out of holes in wooden surfaces, it is easy to assume they are eating the wood. However, these insects are not consuming the wood they chew through. Instead, they are using their strong jaws to excavate tunnels, or galleries, in which to raise their young.
    How quickly can carpenter🐜 ants damage a home?
    Depending on the whereabouts of the ants' colony, structural damage can occur in just a matter of months.
    This excavating is problematic for homeowners because carpenter🐜 ants' nests can get quite large. They begin by burrowing into damaged or exposed wood that has a high moisture content, but will continue into the rest of the wood, potentially causing structural issues. They have also been known to build galleries inside wall voids, insulation plastics and doors.
    Outdoors, these insects search for trees, stumps or logs with decaying wood. But just as with wooden structures, the answer to, "Do carpenter🐜 ants eat trees," is no. However, they will continue to tunnel all the way to the heartwood, which can lead to tree death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be destructive for sure, but with the entire state honeycombed with their nests, there's really not much you can do but keep an eye out for nests close to the house.

      Delete
  3. Like you said, slowly but surely things are getting back to normalcy. But as soon as that happens life will throw some other kind of twist at you, so stay on your toes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are SO right ... is it just me or does this happen to everyone?????

      Delete
  4. I'm glad your roof is getting done.
    Beautiful quilts you are working on.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Frances ... I do love making them. They keep me off the streets!

      Delete
  5. Your life seems to be getting back to normal and calm. Wait! Is there such a thing for Nancy? Lol...fingers crossed!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Elva ... you hit the nail on the head. I'm hoping and praying for a relaxing couple of weeks.

      Delete
  6. I like TERRO brand ant killer, especially for small sugar ants...a few drops and they take it to the nest and it kills the nest. Unfortunately it does not work as good with Carpenter Ants. Here is a TERRO website on killing Carpenter Ants. (https://www.terro.com/how-to-kill-carpenter-ants) But since these ants are far away from your house, you might want to just leave them be.

    When they inspect for Termites at our condo they have one tool...a flash light. They thump on the walls from the top to the bottom looking for 'dust' to puff up and down. (Not typical dust, but wood and/or sheet rock dust) They do all corners, and about every 5-6 feet apart between corners. Takes them about 10 minutes to check our place, which includes a look in the attic area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that's the case ... that carpenter ants don't care for the bait like sugar ants. I've used it in California in my corral and they won't eat it. If you walk up the hill from my house, you will find at least ten carpenter ant hills. they are everywhere. If you don't bother me, I won't go to war with you!!

      Delete
  7. I love that Quilt! Klingermusings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzy ... it turned out to be one of my favorites..

      Delete