Sunday, August 27, 2023

The Last Train

 I took a sleeping pill, not that it worked or anything.  There's nothing like working yourself to the bone and being so tired you can't sleep.  Elva says I overthink it.  She's right!!!  She also asked me who was going to help me take the bed apart.  

Ummm no one.  Remember born and raised on a ranch? That's how you end up tough and self reliant.  I told her I can throw hay bales in the back of my truck.  Taking a bed apart is easy peasy!   


Next I moved on to the kitchen.  All the cupboards are bare.  I still have to wrap up the TV, but I'm getting there.


I was a nervous wreck when the expert at dismantling one of these beasts was late.  I could feel the nerves creeping up my back.  He finally showed up and we both went to work.  I took a lot of pictures, thinking I was going to set it back up when it arrived in California.  By the time we got to the table part, I threw that thought right out the window.  Good grief .... this thing is complicated!!!


Amazingly, we got the machine in a huge box that actually fit in the back seat of my truck, along with three table panels.  I figure it's the equivalent of a husband and three kids, because as you already know, I'm stressing about getting up and over the hills on the way to California.  


The two big end pieces were placed against the wall in the RV, wrapped in two quilts and my comforter to keep it in place and hopefully not damage the RV walls.  Cooper and I have about 12" where we can crawl into the bed.


Here comes the company.  Once inside, the buyer said OH WOW!!  That's a good sign.  They are from the Dragoon area.  Maybe we should just switch houses, because I love it there.  They liked everything and stayed for about 90 minutes, measuring rooms to be sure their furniture would fit.  Nice!!  I'm hoping I get an offer in the next few days.  Oh ... and they have a fifth wheel ... perfect for the RV cover.

Way too early this morning we will pick up the U-Haul truck and get it packed.  After that's done, I will take off for Quartzsite with a big sigh of relief.  Dan will head out with the truck on Tuesday.  

And so my friends ... this is the last train passing by.  I'll miss the view for sure.  I'll see you in Quartzsite!!


Just for giggles, Mother Nature gave me a great send off last night.  Pictures tomorrow.

20 comments:

  1. Such good memories of your Arizona home and less work and more money to buy material for your quilts.
    This has been a crazy busy week and hope you can rest in a couple of weeks when you find room for your Az. things.
    You are amazing with your can do attitude and energy.
    Sue


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue ... I'm lucky to always be motivated to do something, even if it's moving! LOL.

      Delete
  2. Tough and self-reliant, you and Barb are so much alike. I do not know you that well, but if you are truly like Barb, you could probably add stubborn to that list as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chocolate cake with thick chocolate icing is what you need!
    Safe travels, prayers continue for you and Mr. Chance to have a safe trip!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh Frances ... you hit the nail on head. CAKE!!

      Delete
  4. "This is the last train passing " ...I don't know why but that brought out some tears. Praying for a safe and uneventful drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really Eva ... there will be a lot more trains!!

      Delete
  5. Please be careful on the road. Rex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Rex. I'm a defensive driver from way back, not to mention I go pretty slow!!! Thank you for the thoughts.

      Delete
  6. Be safe cowgirl, and I am confident you will not have any problems getting 'over the hill'. I wondered if you were going to caravan or go separate, you answered that one. Dan might just sleep in the truck, that's what I would do. Hope its only has two axles so he can go 65 through California...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far so good! Dan was a driver by profession, so I'm sure he will be fine.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on your amazing accomplishment. I think that just like the dismantling of the bed, when the time is right, you can and will reassemble the quilting machine. If you can take it apart, you can put it together, we all have faith in you. Safe travels.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm not sure about that. We shall see. If not, it's going to cost me a chunk, so I'm giving it a shot.

      Delete
  8. Last train whistle rang a bell for me. When we moved up from the Valley to Wickenburg, I was so happy to be able to hear distant train whistles.. Grew up with that sound but none in the Valley. You will certainly have stories to tell with the unload of the 5th wheel and Uhaul. Safe travels for you and Mr. Chance. Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathi!! I've always been a train fan ... love hearing those whistles. I'll still hear them, in California, I'm about 2 miles from the tracks.

      Delete
  9. I'm just curious why you didn't sell the CA house and stay in AZ. And I have a interested party in your house if you can post the zillow link please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Houses in my neck of the woods in California are not selling, not to mention high interest rates. Although I picked it up for a song, it's now worth more than most people can afford, making it a hard sell. Look up 11766 S. Lost Horse Place, Vail AZ on Zillow for the Arizona house.

      Delete
  10. At least I now know why you are selling the Arizona house and not the one in California.
    Safe Travels and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you're finally done and ready to head out. Drive safely.

    ReplyDelete