Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Let The Madness BEGIN!!

 Well my friends ... it got pretty crazy around here yesterday.  Let the madness begin!  My first phone call of the day was to two more movers.  I'm calm ... I'm relaxed ... until the first bid comes in at $9,900.00.  No, not kidding.  Is that crazy or what?  And that's not for a big van ... it's for a 26' foot truck.  

Plan B.  I guess I'm going to rent a U-Haul truck and move myself.  I was trying to figure out just how that was going to happen when Mr. Chance called.  Good friends are worth a million bucks.  His plan was for me to rent the truck, we would get it packed up and he would drive it to California.  His return trip would be by airfare.  Sounds good, yes?

Here's the caveat ... he has to be back here by September 2 at the latest.  I'm pretty sure you all know what THAT means!  Nancy instantly went crazy and had a heart attack.  You mean I have about five days to pack up this house?  YIKES!!!

Then the doorbell rang.  My garage door repair guy had arrived.  It seems the door framing had cracked and bent, but not broken yet.  Thank God for small favors.  He quickly installed a rail across the entire door that fixed the problem.  Well that was easy!  


I love it when you get good service ... AND he's a Harley rider AND his brother is one of the Engineers on the train that goes by here every day.  Nice guy.


From there, I went to frantically packing and quickly deciding what will stay and what will go.  I packed up all the quilting boxes in my truck toolbox and began a stack of donations.  

That's when I was rudely interrupted by a crazy flock of hummingbirds.  I had just put this full feeder out. they drained it in four hours.


I'm now up to TWO bottles a day.  And then they disappeared completely.


If you want to know what the weather is going to do, watch the birds.  The thunder and lightning was epic.  Boy am I glad I have a new roof, otherwise it would have flown off into the wild blue yonder.  That's the worst wind I have experienced here.


Next I spent a frantic 30 minutes on the internet trying to get Dan a flight back to Tucson.  I haven't done this in ages, so I called my friend Cyndae, whose daughter is a pilot for Southwest Airlines.  She guided me through the process, and Dan now has a return reservation ... window seat on the exit row.  It's not first class, but it's the best I could do.  

The rest of the evening I spent frantically packing up the kitchen.  More and more things are being added to the donation pile because I just don't want to deal with it.  How did I accumulate all this stuff???


The trash pile in the garage is almost as tall as my truck.  Hopefully I can get ahold of THAT guy today to haul it all off.  I'm not panicking yet, but I'm getting close .........

Moving right along ..... 


13 comments:

  1. Good friends are worth their weight in gold! Five days to pack!?! I'll cut this comment short so you can get back to work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful friend.
    Bless his heart!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol. I just told Jerry the price for the movers. He said he will rent a U-Haul and drive it to Vail. Lol...too late. Dan came to the rescue. But he's ready for the unloading if you need him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elva ... I may just take you up on that offer.

      Delete
  4. You make my move sound so much easier. We only have to move furniture from the living room and bedroom into the kitchen and bath so our carpet can be replaced. We still have to empty a bunch of drawers, though. And play Tetris with the furniture to get it into the space available.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Linda ... I know your Tetris game. I had the den carpets cleaned and it all had to live in the kitchen for a whole day!

      Delete
  5. Saw your listing on "Zillow", the house looks great! Hope you get that price you are asking. One day at a time now. Are you going to store any of it in a long-term storage facility? If it comes down to dickering on the house price, tell them you can throw in a couple of quilts...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave ... she took some great pictures. Yes, one day at a time. There's really not that much stuff, so it's going in my garage at home. Luckily I purge really well.

      Delete
  6. It's amazing how stuff accumulates! I always wondered how flippers did that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to have Dan near by. I hope the heat abates so you don't get heat stroke rushing the move. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dan is awesome! Sure don't envy you though! :)

    ReplyDelete