Thursday, August 31, 2023

In The Blink Of An Eye

Whew!!  That all happened faster than the blink of an eye.  Here I am parked in front of the gate, still wondering how I'm going to get it fixed.  There's no indication of any brand name, so I'm not sure what to Google.  At least my outside lights still work because they can be rather picky.  I think the moon is a nice touch!


 Here we go ..... Dan and I got most of the stuff out of the back first.  Ten minutes later, my Knight from from the Round Table of Bingo came by with one of his best hands ... my friend the tractor driver from the Pumpkin Patch.  I called out where stuff went and they took it there.  You can barely walk through my house.

A few minutes later the two kids from next door came over to lift the heavy stuff.  You're not going to believe it ... we unloaded that truck completely in 25 minutes.  We were like a bunch of ants cleaning out after a rainstorm!!


We had just enough time to return the truck.  It was another epic phone check-out process.  We had to take pictures of the mileage, the gas gauge, every side of the truck and where it was parked.  They dinged me for $18 in fuel because they said it had more when we left Tucson.  I took this picture to prove that we left the stuff inside the truck.

Of course the place was locked up, and we couldn't find where to drop the keys.  Finally on the way out, Dan spotted a lock box on the telephone pole and VOILA! we were done.

Starving, we made a quick right turn into Mickey D's for an egg McMuffin.  Boy did that ever taste good!!


Of course I couldn't come home without some kind of repair problem to take care of.  The ice maker quit, and I've had trouble with the ice door for years.  I can't believe I looked online and found a local repair guy that not only knew how to fix it, he has the exact same fridge himself ... and he has fixed the same thing.

It took quite some time, but I now have ice.  I might have just gone and BOUGHT ice for the next 5 years, because it cost of $800 for the repair.  AND he had to order a few more parts he'll put in later ... for free thank goodness.  What the heck ... it's only money, but I needed an aspirin after the shock wore off.


Dan and I continued unloading stuff from my rig.  First we rolled an old printer out the door where it will sit until it goes to Landfill Heaven.  It's a relic of my old photography days.  Then we unloaded the end rails from my quilting machine that were my bed rails for the last three days.

At that point, it was computer time.  We made Dan's return flight for Friday, but it would be better if he could fly out today.  At long last I got an agent on the phone and we were able to change the reservation.  Printing out boarding passes wasn't the easiest to accomplish.  After several attempts, Dan finally got them on HIS phone, so we'll be driving to Fresno today.  

At long last, it was time.  You knew where we were going for dinner.  Habit Burger is the name of the game at my house, and it just happens to live a couple miles away.  I ate every single bit of it!!


And so the big epic move is complete.  Now comes the hard part ... trying to find a place for all this stuff.  Although I'm a packrat and find it very hard to get rid of anything that is still useful, I will force myself to donate SOME stuff.  The rest can live in boxes in the garage, because you never know ... I may find the perfect little house somewhere that needs a part time visitor.

Oh wait ... there is yet another repair needed.  The garage door wouldn't stay open, so I propped it up with a ladder.  I'll have to call for that repair today.  It is just never ending!!

The best news ... I got a great night's sleep on my new-to-this-house mattress.  

Let the box unboxing and furniture rearranging begin!!!



18 comments:

  1. Glad the move is complete and yeah the fun stuff begins LOL. That burger and fries look amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you are so right Shirley ... the "fun" stuff!!

      Delete
  2. Nancy I have faith that you will find homes for your Az. things.
    You have done an amazing job with this big move. A big pat on your back for you.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sue ... I think I'll be working on it for months to come!

      Delete
  3. So glad you got everything out of the uhaul and your truck.
    Hopefully you will be able to slow down a bit.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? That's my plan Frances ... slow down a little.

      Delete
  4. Do you ever wonder if the repair guys all get together while you are gone and plan their income for the next month? It goes something like this: "Bill, you take the ice maker, Sam, you take the gate, and I will disable the garage door. That should be enough to get a couple grand out of her so we can buy beer next month".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did you know? I swear you hit the nail on the head!!!

      Delete
  5. I look at Zillow just about every day hoping to see the words "Pending" instead of "For Sale". $800 to fix an ice maker, wow...just think how many of those metal ice trays you could have bought! Which brings me to the point...how come those plastic ice trays only last a year or so before they start ripping apart? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well to be honest, I never got an up front estimate. He just repaired it! The parts were the bad part. $500!! Yessirree, lots of ice trays.

      Delete
  6. Fast unload. Great to have friends. You're going to need a weeks sleep when you're done. Wonder how you reach those upper cabinets 😁

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, about the garage door. It probably just needs an adjustment. Google to find out how to adjust. You can use the ladder to get to the door opener.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the main control that's not working. It just flashes the lights instead of opening.

      Delete
  8. My ice maker died about a year ago. I bought the plastic ice trays......they work great!! Glad you made it back to Ca.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why didn't you tell me that BEFORE I called the repair guy! Turns out it was more than the ice maker. I'll expound on that today.

      Delete
  9. Glad that you are home safe and sound. Enjoy some rest time now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my plan Loree until things started not working! LOL

      Delete