Saturday, October 26, 2019

Stealing Is A No-No!!

Wouldn't you know, there's always that one or two that ruin it for everybody.  It's surprising and amazing to me that people come to the pumpkin patch to steal.  Over the last few days, many kids have tried to steal our decorated cookies.  We've chased down several and made them either give it back or pay up.  I've even had kids steal shaved ice sitting six inches from me.
The next big item on their let's-steal-it list is corn.  I guess all these beautiful rows of corn that make up the corn maze are just too tempting to say no.  Seriously??  You really think it's okay to come to the corn maze and rip out the ears?
The joke's on them however.  One mom went in the corn maze with her huge baby stroller.  You already know where I'm going with this.  She hid over two dozen ears of corn underneath her baby, covering it all with a blanket on a hot 90 degree day.

She was actually caught in the parking lot unloading it all to the trunk of her car.  The owner tried to explain this is not HUMAN corn.  It's corn grown with all kinds of crazy fertilizers for COWS.  If she feeds it to her kids, they are going to get very sick!!  She loaded it up anyway and drove off with her license plate number firmly written down in the log.  

Night before last we caught three kids from the local Baptist Church stealing water from the closed snack bar, and two more were chased off after trying to haul pumpkins out the back gates.  They left, the pumpkins stayed.

Corn is rather a weird looking plant, so I thought I'd show you the root system.  About six inches  above the ground, these spikes reach out for water and air.  The same spikes grow underneath the soil, making it a very tough plant.  There's rarely any that fall over with that kind of stable base secured in the dirt.
It looks just like "real" corn on the outside, but the inside has much smaller kernels.  This will all be green chopped and hauled to a local dairy for feed once we close down.
Yesterday we found three cell phones, two sets of keys and one hundred dollars laying on the ground.  Too bad I wasn't the finder.  If no one claims the money, it will go to the ticket girl who found it.  I played hot dog girl all afternoon again until one of our kids got sick from too much sun.  I'm hoping it cools off this week!!  It's been so hot, all our sunflowers are dying.  
Five and a half more days ..... not that I'm counting!!!!


Total miles walked so far:    208.95   I'm now strong as an ox, but finally getting tired.





10 comments:

  1. What is wrong with people!? What on earth are they teaching their children! Such a nice pumpkin patch, corn maze etc sounds like a wonderful place for families and then you have all that...The corn was really interesting to see! Love the cookies ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cookies are very cool looking, but honestly, they taste rather like cardboard!!

      Delete
  2. It is amazing what kids will steal, even adults too. much be to challenge of getting away with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not know that about feed corn. Good to know, don't steal the corn! Those cookies are really cute. Your mileage at the corn place is making me tired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mileage is making me a little crazy. I can't wait until I can sit on the couch all day long!!!

      Delete
  4. Hmmm...I was sure I put my cell phone and that $100 bill in the stroller BEFORE I stole the corn.... (you can only hope it is Karma like that...lol)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you said there are some in every crowd that just have to take what doesn't belong to them.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the next Five and a Half Days.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have actually been more adults trying to steal than kids!!

      Delete