Saturday, October 5, 2019

Herding Squirrels!!!

Only 350 kids showed up yesterday, 300 of them at 9:00.  School buses never seem to be on a schedule when it comes to field trips.  Once inside, it's like herding cats!!  They only have to be on time for two things, the Ag Center Barnyard Squares and their allotted lunch time of roughly 10:30-11:00.

It's a complete madhouse when the lunches show up.  We try to corral them into the barn or the back corral, but even with big signs, they never seem to find the right spot.  Between loading the Time Travel Tractor and running all those kids through the barn, I end up a little frayed around the edges.  Luckily the teachers are wonderful ..... mostly!!

Here's another flower they grow at the Patch.  Gorgeous white blossoms wave in the breeze on very long stems.  I must say it's very calming!!!
By 11:00 I was up front at the exit tent passing out pumpkins.  Every child who enters, leaves with a pumpkin.  Try getting 350 kids to line up.  It's more like herding squirrels than cats!!  At long last all the kids were gone and we could breathe a sigh of relief.  Not really ... I had two drink containers and four jackets heading to the Lost and Found box, along with stocking the snack bar for the evening.

I fed the goaty goats ... my favorite kids of all ... and hid in the barn for a few minutes resting my feet.  Another 8.11 miles.  It's a good thing I was a runner in my prior life.  

This is one of the picture locations on the property.  That windmill is about 120 years old, saved from destruction and completely rebuilt for the farm.  As the wind blows harder, it closes up like a flower bud, fanning out when it slows down.  It's an amazing invention that is still going strong.
It should be an easier day today, even though it's Saturday.  All I have to contend with is keeping the snack bar stocked and the tractor drivers happy with a lunch break.  Easy peasy!!  I plan to stay sat on my butt as many hours as possible!!  These 11 hour days are taking their toll!!!

Total miles day seven:  52.20






4 comments:

  1. I can imagine heading all those kids and getting them in and out of there they sure keep you hopping. Now hopefully you will have an easier day today.
    Soon Halloween will be here and gone, winter will arrive and then you can head back to Arizona again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to slow down time, but it's not happening, so I'll enjoy it while I can.

      Delete
  2. I thought dealing with the Owner and Supervisor were bad, you've got it worse.
    I can still teach you how to weld.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the Pumpkin Patch.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these days I want to weld parts and pieces together to make weird critters.

      Delete