Friday, May 26, 2017

Zebra Stripes

Hardwood floors are hard.  That's my little nugget of information for the day, in case any of you had any doubt.  On the other hand, my couch just might be a better sleep than my bed.

My poor Miss Jessie hobbled around pretty well considering she only has two usable legs.  Her appetite returned, most probably because she got canned food ... her favorite!!  She spent a good part of the morning sleeping on the couch while I got ready to attend a funeral.   Unfortunately, she had to wear the cone of shame, but it didn't seem to bother her that much.
By the time I got back home and let her out, she was wagging her tail and jumping around a little ... as much as you can on two legs.  Don't you think her zebra stripes are attractive?  This is her second favorite spot to hang out ... on the back of the couch.  She must be feeling much better to climb up there.
The funeral for Ken was the nicest I've ever attended, but the longest.  I don't know about you, but I'm not a funeral person.  Here at the church there were three separate celebrations.  The first being the Elks Remembrance service, followed by the church service, with that followed by Military Honors.  I've not been involved with the last one before.   What a great send off Ken received from his fellow Honor Guard brothers.  

Three volleys were fired outside and his great grandchildren gathered around the rifle, retired in his honor.  The last song played was The Saints Go Marching In as we all clapped and sang at the top of our lungs.  I could just see Ken smiling and dancing along with us!!  
Back home, Miss Jessie was doing even better.  I can't quite say the same for me.  I was exhausted from too many sleepless nights in a row.  I finally crashed on the lovely hardwood floor at 9:00.  There will be no bed for awhile, as Jessie will jump down and is sure to hurt something.  That didn't last long though ... it was something akin to sleeping on a brick.  

The trouble is, there's just not enough room for spread-out Jessie, Cooper and me on the same couch. After lots of growling and moving about, I got three inches of the outside edge along with one arm rest, while the kids got the entire rest of the soft cushions.  It was better than the floor, so I didn't complain.  Amazingly, I only woke up once.  My alarm clock, a wet gooey ball stuffed in my face followed by little "throw the ball" growls went off at 4:30 am.  Not rejuvenated by any means, but I sure feel better than yesterday.  

In between all the goings on, I was able to get new tires for the Jeep.  Although I wanted duplicates of the original ones, there were none to be had, not to mention the extra $500 tacked on to the price.  Still, these babies ran close to $1,000.  I probably could have come up with something cheaper, but my Dad always said to buy the best tires you could afford since your life depended on them not blowing out or coming apart.  Of the last four I bought at Costco, two blew out while I was on the freeway.  I got these from a local small business owner I know, who appreciated my business.
Although I really would like a do-nothing day, the rig needs a wash badly, so that will be my morning activity.  Maybe I can slip in a few winks this afternoon.  Right .... good luck with THAT Nancy!!


  1. If you leave the Furkids in the house you could use the bed in the RV but that won't get the work done.
    Your dad was right about the tires.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    1. My kids are so spoiled ... I locked them in the bathroom so I could sleep on the bed and they cried until I got up and let them out!!

  2. If your back cushions aren't attached to the couch, take them off & it will give you a bit more room on the couch.
    Wishing Ms. Jessie a speedy recovery.
    Liz-Boise, ID

    1. Well for heavens sake ... I never thought of THAT one. The cushions are permanently attached however.