Wednesday, March 13, 2024

The Knights and Ladies

 I'm hesitating a second or two.  It's cold and my brain is slow to go with little sleep.  That means it was BINGO night!!  But first ... let it rain once again.  The weather guessers missed this one altogether.  I admit however ... it was my kind of rain.  Just a nice soft drizzle for about three hours.  This is of course killing my solar numbers, as well as adding more dollars to the pockets of the problem.  It's natural gas heat and it has quadrupled in price (no exaggeration) in the last two years, as has everything else I guess.

You think .... I have solar so I can turn the heat up .... but you would be wrong.  When you get that gas bill, it turns you into a salt statue!!  Just the gas is now as high as my entire electricity bill used to be.  Put on a coat my Mom would say!!


SO ... on with the day!  It started off with a nice bowl of corned beef hash.  Yes I did ... I put ketchup on it.  All the mustard lovers now have me using the yellow stuff on corn dogs and hot dogs, but I'm holding out for ketchup on hash.  Boy do I love this ... it brings back memories of the ranch kitchen where once in a great while we got THIS instead of cold cereal for breakfast.  

To make it even better, when I got home last night, the kitchen still smelled WONDERFUL!!


More moving of fabric around happened, which funny enough, ended up in just as much fabric as before, but fewer piles.  I checked the game camera, but alas, the batteries had died a horrible death, so I've got nothing on that front.  

I worked on the budget stuff for a couple of hours ... how boring ... and spent two hours trying on every pair of Levis I have (which is a LOT) to see what fits at this particular point in time.  I swear those things multiply in the closet when I'm gone.

So here we are again in the dungeon of the Castle.  This time my Fairy Godmother wasn't there to set everything up.  Add to that the fact that the safe was locked.  By the time I got ahold of the King, the Member peasants were getting antsy, even if it was 90 minutes before we started selling.  You see if you become a member, you get to come in any time, meaning you get your preferred seating.  

Lucky for me, there are some VERY nice Peasant Ladies who are more than happy to help me prepare.  See ... it's not ALL bad!!  


The Knights do the heavy lifting for me now, and are always at the ready.  I don't know what goes on when I'm gone, but one of the Ladies comes up and gives me a big hug every week, saying she is so GLAD I'm back.  Of course there is always ONE who probably doesn't agree.

She helps, or at least SAYS she does, but mostly I just see her upstairs.  We had thirty minutes before opening and she was panicking because no one was there to count the cards.  No worries, I can count AND run the infernal machine.  

She even went so far as to call my Counter's HUSBAND to see why she wasn't there.  It's okay ... she has 20 minutes to get here.  Nothing would calm her down.  I thought she was going to have a heart attack because I began selling a whole 5 minutes later than normal.  You would think she was a player.  Oh WAIT ... she DOES play!!  

Believe it or not, we had a fairly quiet night.  The pitchforks only came out once when our caller made a mistake.  They almost had his head in a basket before the King stepped in.  These people know the bingo rules better than anyone on the planet ... and if you make a mistake, WATCH OUT!!!  Heads will roll!!

The rest of the nice went well, thanks to the Knights and Ladies who work the floor.  It seems the nicest people EVER volunteer here every Tuesday for 50 weeks of the year and I appreciate them all.

I've no idea what's on my plate today other than maybe falling asleep on the couch for a time.  It's too early for my brain to be in gear.  Oh wait ... I have a budget meeting tonight.  The fun never stops!!






16 comments:

  1. Nancy you are a busy gal. Elks are so lucky to have you I know you always do a good job.
    Frances :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just part of a larger group of really nice people. So friendly ... they always say hello ... it's like family.

      Delete
  2. Marcia is one of "THOSE" who says, "You NEVER put Ketchup on a Hot Dog". When I was younger, and we had Hot Dogs a lot as a kid, I would put both Ketchup and Mustard on a Hot Dog...now days, I just don't eat Hot Dogs very often and never in a bun or, like we did as a kid, on a slice of bread (cheaper than a bun).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was me too. The Chicago folks talked me into mustard!!

      Delete
  3. I would grab a tortilla and salsa to make a corned beef hash burrito!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh that's a great idea Elva!! I'll have to try that!

      Delete
  4. But then my breakfast this morning was 2 rolled tacos and a fried egg...yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Elva's idea of tortilla and salsa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good to me too! Salsa would be great on hash.

      Delete
  6. Try Ketchup on your French Toast, the way Kathy eats them.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What??? That's one I've never heard of before!!

      Delete
  7. Yeah. Natural gas prices were much higher this winter. Ouch. Guess what, they've gone down 20% or so. Now that we're not going to need it much, unless a person has gas powered AC in TX or CA. Ha. I checked the spot prices for it today. Seems like a plot.......and I'm not even one to see plotting going on. Anyway, if there's another cold snap, you can turn up the heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good to me. I've always thought the price is not based on the actual cost to make it ... but the amount of money they can make depending on the season.

      Delete
  8. Ketchup? You and Bill make a great pair. haha
    My sister won at her Bingo the other night, back home in a small town. She walked away with $650. Nice haul, don't know what she spends to play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha so it's peanut butter and ketchup! Congrats to your sister ... oh yeah, I wouldn't mind having $650 in my pocket! It's what keeps people coming back.

      Delete