Friday, November 24, 2023

EAT TACOS!!

This was my advice to everyone yesterday.  I should have followed it myself.  It's been a long time since I've felt the pain of eating WAY too much food.  My eyes are always bigger than my stomach.   


Here's my naked turkey.  Pretty sad looking with butter stuffed under the skin.  I think I mentioned this is NOT a Butterball turkey.

This year the Elks Lodge went with turkeys from Target for their volunteer giveaway.  Target makes nice and only charges us $.99 a pound.  No one else in the country is that cheap!!  Never look a free turkey in the mouth ... or wherever.


Looky here!!!  He turned out beautifully browned with a nice crunchy skin.  You can't go wrong with this huge roasting pan I inherited.  It's probably cooked hundreds of turkeys. 


Once the turkey was out, I went to making gravy.  Of all the things on the Thanksgiving table, mashed potatoes smothered in this gravy is my all time favorite.  It doesn't always turn out, but on this day it was perfect!!  I even surprised myself.


This however ... THIS describes my cooking better than anything I can say.  Cooper got the first bite of turkey.  He unceremoniously spit it out on the floor.  ARE YOU KIDDING???  Is it really THAT BAD?  Yes, yes it was.


How can I share with you the flavor.  If you have ever had a nice grain-fed fillet mignon from a steak house, then had a piece of grass fed beef, you will just know.  The difference in texture and flavor is incredible.  Incredibly BAD that is.  This was definitely a grass fed turkey.  It was tough, though juicy, but the flavor was awful.

No matter, I smothered it in gravy and ate it.  I'm surely not going to waste all that meat.  I dove in to the homemade bread and cornbread dressing.  Oh my gosh it was WONDERFUL!!  Best dressing I've ever eaten, and nothing is better in my book than mashed potatoes smothered in gravy.  I even stuck in two Kings Hawaiian rolls.  The salad had apples and cranberries, but got completely overshadowed by the rest of dinner.

Naturally, I ate WAY too much.  I didn't even pull out the key lime cheesecake, nor did I eat dinner.  No worries, I've got breakfast, lunch and dinner covered for the two weeks!!


You're not going to believe this ... I even used my dishwasher.  I think it's been several years since it was turned on.  It ran for three hours and I didn't care.  Sadly however, I had to scrub that roasting pan in the too small sink and knocked my all time favorite Maui coffee cup to the floor.  Coffee will never be the same again.


Thank you everyone for the pumpkin pie advice ... I'll be making two pies today, cutting them in half and freezing them.  

And thank you to all the hubbies out there who gave me advice on my truck shocks.  Noble Sports recommended Bilstein shocks all around for the same price as the other shop.  I've never had a truck more than ten years, so fixing this stuff has never been in question.  

I hope everyone enjoyed their Thanksgiving with friends and family.  My "kids" enjoyed the food .... well except for the turkey ... and the company.  It was a GREAT day!!!





17 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving, Nancy. Sorry about the turkey but the rest of the meal sounds great. And you can have key lime pie for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patsy, you've got my number!!! The pie was yummy!

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry your turkey was tough. Your gravy looks wonderful.
    Have a wonderful Friday!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grass fed beef....yeah I remember that taste and smell. Raley's sells turkeys for 97 cents a pound. It's interesting the difference in prices between your area and Sacramento. Don't forget to add turkey tacos to your menu. With salsa, sour cream and guacamole you won't taste the turkey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A perfect suggestion Elva!! Maybe turkeys will be on sale today!

      Delete
  4. Mr. Ed said Walmart was $.98 or 2.39 Depending on which aisle you went down . Publix. Our local grocery store was $.78.
    BJ’s wholesale and sams Club . 68 if you really wanna have fun, go back today and check the price now you can’t give away turkeys . I feel sorry for the DAs that bought solid frozen turkeys Wednesday night . They must’ve been planning for a weekend Thanksgiving. It’ll take that long to thaw. But that’s OK. I only waited a half an hour at cracker barrel. Never seen so many old farts and Q-tips… And yes, I got home from my nap After

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow That naked turkeys got more wrinkles than I do

      Delete
    2. It took my turkey four full days to thaw ... and it was still icy in the middle. You can thaw them in water though ... it's faster. Oh to have a Cracker Barrel around here. I would eat there every day!!

      Delete
  5. What the hell?!?! That turkey looked delicious! At least the rest of the meal was good and you were able to stuff yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Target wouldn't be my first choice in grocery stores to buy a no-name turkey. Next time I'll donate my turkey to the Bingo crowd!!

      Delete
  6. Nancy will you share your stuffing recipe? Oh that gravy! Dee

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think we all have had a turkey which just not taste as good as others. As for Cooper, Indy will do that from time to time with her twice daily pork. After she eats a few more bites, she goes and gets the one she dropped and eats it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Cooper drops it, it will stay there until I pick it up!! Sometimes I have to prime the pump. If I give him something he loves, he will then eat whatever is in the bowl. Funny kids.

      Delete
  8. The turkey looked perfectly cooked to bad about the flavor the rest of the meal sounded yummy. That is just sad about the mug it was so cute with the turtle on it...:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess nothing lasts forever, but I sure liked that one. Thinking maybe friend Cyndae will bring one back from Maui for me!!

      Delete