Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Valdez to Anchorage AK .. 6-1/2 hrs ...

We left Valdez bright and early this morning ... bright because the sun sets here at 11:30 pm and rises at 4:08 am.  We are heading off to Anchorage.  Gorgeous Thompson Pass was just as pretty on the way out and it was coming in.
There was a little construction in Glennallen where we turned Northwest.  Dan was giving a narrative on our two-way radios about the water truck making it's second pass over the road we had to travel.    Having just washed this monster (and still very sore), I wasn't getting ANY cement on the sides ... so I went 15mph.  I don't care what those 10 cars behind me thought!!!  LOL
The night before, my new neighbors complained about that really narrow road between Anchorage and  Glennallen ... and they certainly hoped we weren't going that way.  Well we were ... with one tire on the yellow line and one on the white, we went pretty slowly for 20 miles or so. 
Here is another construction section.  The road with the GOOD bridge is on the right.  The road with the BAD bridge is on the left ... guess which one WE had to cross.  The LEFT one.  There is one nice thing about Alaska roads though, there aren't very many.  They have Hwy 1, 2, 3 and 4.  That's about it!!
I keep hoping for a nice grizzly or brown bear sighting ... nothing yet.  This guy however, lives at the Whitney museum we visited yesterday.  I just wanted to be sure you saw one ... even if he is stuffed!!
We finally arrived in Palmer, got fuel at $4.10 ($4.05 with a Safeway card), and trucked on off to Anchorage, 35 miles on the only 6 lane freeway in Alaska.  I'm sorry Anchorage ... but I finally found the place I do NOT want to live ... and it's here.  There's too many buildings, too many cars and too many crazy people, like the guy who filled up his truck and promptly lost his keys in our fuel lane ... or the tree guy who was in too much of a hurry to get to the fuel station, running around yelling a lot.

We are parked at Ship Creek RV Park, next to the railroad tracks ... which you know we love!!  Three passed by, but none in the middle of the night.  They have back-in spaces with 30 amp full hookup and GREAT wifi!!  We will be staying here checking out the sites for 2, maybe 3 days.  There's no sleeping in though ... at 6:30 reveille was played loudly ... I think from across the street.  It was hard to tell where it was coming from!!

One thing Anchorage IS good for ... quilt shops!!!



2 comments:

  1. Nancy, you are one awesome woman in my opinion. You are doing something by yourself that most people wouldn't do, even with a friend going along. But I have to ask, do you think you would have done this trip all by yourself. Keep the pictures coming. Joe G

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good question. If I had another year driving experience with my RV before this trip, I think I would have done it alone, but with lots of prep work (fuel stations, places to stay, etc). I'm pretty adventuresome!!

    ReplyDelete