Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A Little of This and That!!

Haven't posted in awhile ... since the new jeep accident.  There just hasn't been much to talk about.  I have been waiting for the repair shop to do their work.  Seems it's always hurry up and wait.  Ron Smith Auto Body Shop in Merced handled the repairs for my insurance company, Safeco.  Like everyone else, I hate paying insurance ... but when you need them and they respond immediately, they get my support.  I reported the accident Tuesday, took the jeep in to the repair shop on Wednesday and they ordered parts.   I returned on Friday to leave it for repairs and by the next Friday it was done, looking brand new again.  AND the repairs by this shop are guaranteed for as long as I own the vehicle.  Any problems they will fix for free including paint and clear coat.
In the meantime, I made an appointment with LaMesa RV in Davis California for installation of a buddy braking system.  Having read about the "pedal on the floor" models that never work right, I called my RV mentor Dan, whose recommendation was the SMI Manufacturing Company Air Force One system that would work with the air brakes on my Phaeton.  The problem of finding someone to do the install became a nervous one for me.  I could drive to San Diego (over the steep Grapevine) ... or to Morgan Hill (over the steep Pacheco Pass) ... or back to Yuma (over the steep Tehachapi Pass) ... or worse yet, have a friend install it.  All of which were too scary for me.  Finally I reached LaMesa who agreed to do the install in Davis California where I don't have to tow the jeep over any steep hills.  I'll let you know how that goes next week.

In the meantime, I drove a friend to their friends "yard sale" in Turlock.  And what to my wondrous eyes did appear??  The perfect adirondack chair patio set for my back yard.  At one third the cost of a new set, having just been beautifully restored, I couldn't turn it down.  I have added a few accessories which make it perfect for my morning coffee!!!
Lastly, those who know how active I am ... one of my favorite things to do is bike ride.  This is my triathlon road bike.  It is so light I can lift it with one hand.  Agreeably not the most comfortable bike to ride, but you get used to it.  The piece sticking up attached to the handlebars allows me to rest on my forearms, giving my shoulders and back a rest.  Yes, it's weird looking, but very fun to ride!!
I've been working on more distance and am up to 12.5 miles.   Not far by biking standards, but I'll keep working on it.  Yes I wear a helmet ... falling off at 20mph would probably kill me.  With a helmet, I'll be broken to pieces, but my head will be intact!  LOL  Hopefully with some work this will read 50-60 miles.
That's it for now.  I'm off to get the RV ready for it's trip to Davis tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment