Thursday, September 17, 2020

Skyline Drive ... A Heart Attack Road

I'm still at the top of Skyline Drive, originally built in the early 1900's by prison labor.  We will be visiting the prison later this week.  It's a long fall if you drive over the edge ... about 800 feet down.  At the very tippy top is a hiking trail that I'm sure has some spectacular views.  

This one cloud hanging out was rather interesting ... it dropped a little rain in about a 50 foot circle.


 The geology is amazing.  In this section you can see all the layers of flaky rock stacked up.  That's why I should have paid a little more attention in that college geology class I had to take.

Now comes the good part where you cannot turn around ... believe me, I looked to see if there was a spot wide enough.  You have no choice but to drive the very top of the hogback to the end.  It's probably two miles or so.  

 
By the time I got to the two mile mark, my heart was racing and I was going VERY slowly.   The drop off on both sides is absolutely breathtaking! 
 

The views are pretty amazing also, but there was not enough room to get OUT of the Jeep for pictures and there were two other crazy people driving the same road behind me.  At long last, you come to a wide spot where you can stop and smell the roses, or at least the town of Canon City.

 As you can see, I didn't get very close to the edge.  The road continues with a very sharp switchback that I'm not sure big pickups will be able to navigate.  It leads sharply downhill to one more switchback, and then into town.

If I get up enough nerve, I might just drive it again so I can enjoy the views this time and not be thinking about whether or not my seatbelt is tight enough to save me.

Somehow I ended up in charge of breakfast this morning.  The Hosts have a brand spanking new Tiffin Phaeton that has had nothing but troubles.  Apparently I've been exceedingly lucky with mine.  Anyway, they have to drive to Colorado Springs this morning for repairs.

That leaves me to cut and hack up breakfast, set up toasters and feed the crew of 17.  From there, I'm going for more heartbeat therapy by walking across the Royal Gorge Bridge.  At 6,350 feet, I could use a little more oxygen in my blood.





10 comments:

  1. The Royal G. no prob. But why he did it that is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the area you are in! We haven't done Skyline drive and now that I see it we don't need to..I imagine my heart would be pounding something awful! Just from the other day, which I'm sure you've found out you can only buy liquor and wine in state liquor stores, which are usually easily found haha. Enjoy the Royal Gorge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, I don't remember the liquor stores from when I lived in Colorado.

      Delete
  3. Don't know if I could walk that bridge. Last time I walked across the Golden Gate I had to walk as close to the roadway as possible. Yet when I was in my teens, I could go right up to the rail and watch the whales down below without a problem. Came on with age I guess...I don't fly either for the same reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird how the bridge didn't bother me at all, but the Skyline drive did.

      Delete
  4. I can understand how someone that never worked at heights can feel.
    Be Safe and Enjoy cooking breakfast.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly a weird feeling depending on where you are.

      Delete
  5. Just looked that road up! Many many years ago, being in Canon City often, we never did this. I think becauae we always took off north up Phantom Canyon road, which nowadays I see is even listed in TripAdvisor. Wow. Times change. I should know that by now. I'm old. Thanks for a trip to a new place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived in Denver for a couple of years, but never came this far south. I'm thinking a river rafting trip might be fun.

      Delete