Sunday, September 27, 2020

Dumb Question #396

Telephone Call:      Hey Dan ... what's the air brakes PSI supposed to be?

Dan:   What does it normally run?

Me:  Heck if I know.  

I'm in panic mode.  Everyone at the rally had terrible problems, from no brakes, to air bag leaks, to no brake pads and more.  There were two separate trips to Colorado Springs.  I just knew my time was coming.  So when I pulled out of the Loves Truck Stop and hit that first big hill, not sure if I had air brakes, I pulled over and gave Dan a call.

Turns out it was all okay, especially when I did the math right the second time.  120 is much better than 80.  Big thank you's as Dan explains Nancy's dumb question #396.  And so I was off to the big town of Newberry Springs.

 This is the big La Quinta built just across the street from the RV park in Williams.  This wasn't here the last time I stayed at the Grand Canyon Railroad RV Park.


 And this is the brewery/restaurant next door that has no name.  This wasn't here either.


 The scenery started off very hazy, but got better as time went on.


 I kept a close eye on my pressure gauge as row after row of beautiful yellow flowers kept me company.


 Hey ... cattle!  Half of this crew had about 20 head gathered together, waiting for this half to show up and help.  No idea what they were doing since I was past them in a flash.


 Kingman was .... well Kingman.  Hot and an even more terrible highway, if that's possible.  It did get better eventually.  I just drove by Needles without a blink.


 Cruising right along, I've been here before.  This is right at the turnoff for Lake Havasu City.  It was pretty hot by this time and there were about 20 boats in the water.  Nice!!


 At long last, 6 hours later, I arrived in beautiful downtown Newberry Springs RV Park.  Everything went well at first.  It's a 50 amp full hookup for $35.  What more could you ask for?  How about power!  Not an hour later, one more huge fifth wheel pulled in and plugged in.  My power went out immediately.  Low voltage.  My handy dandy EMS system saves my electronics again.

I grumbled a little since the rig next to me had both it's air conditioning units running full blast with no one there.  If they even turned ONE off, I might have had power.  Good thing I have lots of diesel, because I ran my generator for a couple of hours to keep cool.   

It's 98 degrees, in case you were wondering.  So as much as I thought this was a great find, I was wrong.  My Energy Management System will not let my rig work on low voltage. When I checked this morning, it said 115 on both legs. 

For your hot sweaty pleasure, there is a pond, rather green and weird looking, but it's water ... and helps me think I'm cool.

To go along with that, there are quacking ducks.  How fun is that?  At least Cooper thought they were worth a chase.

And so it goes as I head home.  I'll get fuel again in Barstow and be home by maybe 1:00 ... just in time to hit the Pumpkin Patch!!  It appears I just MIGHT get Monday off.  That would be a blessing so I can rest up and unpack.  Can't wait to get home.



 


12 comments:

  1. If you don’t have any air in your tanks when you started up your buzzer will go off and continue until you reach 75 psi then it should go off the air pressure Should come up to 120 If you have full air you can test that by pressing down on your brake (pump it ) and bleed your air down to 75 and the buzzer should come on and come back up The air governor on the engine are usually set two cycle on at 80 psi to test if you have an air leak build the air up to 120 shut your engine off a step on your break all the way to the floor very carefully watch the gauge you should only lose about 10 pounds if you have a leak it will continue to go down even with your foot Press down on the brake If all else fails find a friendly bakery and Munch out 🥧🥮🍦🍭🍨🍧

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See that's what I did not know. I didn't know 120, and I completely misread the gauge. Thank you for the info. It helps a lot. The pressure was fine the entire trip, I just had an insane desire to be sure.

      Delete
  2. I remember seeing that RV park off the road, because of the pond. Too bad about the low voltage for sure! Gosh hard to believe it's time for the pumpkin patch already, but how fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen the park several times also, but never stayed there. It happens it's located in a good spot. Next time I'll ask for a different site. It may have just been that one.

      Delete
  3. Ed is bang on for the Air Pressure. Never pump your brakes because that will cause a rapid loss of Air Pressure. Only a apply a steady increase until you come to a stop. If slowing yourself on a Hill or long Grade use your transmission and engine.
    Too many older parks look good but need to upgrade their Electrical Systems.
    You might use tomorrow to start walking and build your leg muscles again. All this driving makes our legs weak.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the Pumpkin Patch.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nine years and I'm still learning about this rig. Thank you!!

      Delete
  4. Almost home!!! As many times that we have traveled in that area, I have never heard of Newberry Springs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ludlow, Newberry Springs, Desert Oasis ... all basically ghost towns from Route 66. You know I'm all about ghost towns! :-)

      Delete
  5. The Pumpkin Patch in Citrus Heights was not allowed to open this year. Wondered if yours would open or not. Hope you made it home safely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Made it Dave ... thank you. Yup ... we are open. Lots of sanitizer everywhere and apparently we are the only ones open.

      Delete
  6. Assuming you made it home safe and sound. Quite the adventures you have. As for the power 'stealers', I hope your genny at least annoyed them a little bit. Of course, if they weren't home. Hmm. I wonder if you unplugged and then plugged in, would it kick theirs off? Nasty, aren't I?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you made it home. I'm studying for my CDL and the air system is a big part of my test. Hope I pass the written test and driving test.

    ReplyDelete