Sunday, September 13, 2020

Racing Trains Over The Continental Divide

That was some HUGE javelina, was it not?  Definitely operator error there.  I've no clue how THAT image got on the blog because I definitely clicked on JAVELINA.  I'm happy to report however that the new SD card is working.  I'll plug those images in later.

I was OFF after double and triple checking everything in the house.  I had a heck of a time getting the Jeep hooked up however.  I didn't pull the motorhome up far enough, leaving zero space to turn the Jeep around.  Luckily I didn't hit anything before finally getting it together and heading out the driveway with a BIG deep breath.

The weather couldn't have been better, but it was overcast the entire way.  I'm not sure if this is smoke or clouds, but it was grayish with no sign of the sun.

 
Here's my favorite Indian hiding place ... Texas Canyon.  You've got to love the rock formations.
 

More gray skies as I headed off on roads I've never traveled before.  The sign said Continental Divide, but I wasn't fast enough to get a picture.  Now I know where all those trains that pass by me are going.  I raced them up the Divide, winning every time.  There were lots of cars parked on sidings.  It seems they only take short loads over the top.

 

Here's a beautiful picture, right?  Two things happened here.  I got hit by a swarm of bees.  I don't know why that always happens to me, but it was a splattery mess.  THEN two jets strafed me, sounding like deafening rockets right overhead as they made 90 degrees turns and headed off down the mountain.  I really thought I captured one in this photo, but alas, it's just bug guts. 

At last I arrived in Deming New Mexico.  By the way, there is no one at the border stopping you or asking where you came from or telling you to quarantine.  I drove right to the Little Vineyard RV Resort.  As you can tell, it's pretty spacious with all gravel parking.  Not exactly a resort but it was only $35.  The people were very nice and almost every restaurant in town will deliver to you for free.

Unfortunately for me, they had a big rain, making for lots of deep mud right in front of my rig.  I do not look forward to driving through this mess, so I made acquaintance with my neighbors.  If he moves his truck, I may be able to skinny out without getting too muddy.  

We had a nice long talk ... they are from Florida and have the cutest little Yorkie puppy.  We are both heading to Albuquerque today, so I'm hoping they leave before me. 
 

The only disadvantage of this park is the noise.  Between the very close train tracks and the screaming highway truck noise, I didn't sleep a wink, in spite of my Advil PM.  Maybe I should have taken TWO!!

And so we are again OFF on another unfamiliar road to Albuquerque!  Here's to sunny days!!

 

 

16 comments:

  1. Great pictures of your drive! Gotta love Texas Canyon. The rv park looks nice, but yeah that mud doesn't! Hopefully they do leave before you! Enjoy your drive today hopefully a better night's sleep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always nerve wracking to travel new highways. Hopefully today will go better.

      Delete
  2. You'll have lots of fun getting all that Honey off your windshield. I remember when we hit a swarm.
    No matter what park you are in Deming gets lots of Road and Train noise.
    Safe Travels and Enjoy Albuquerque.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I washed the windshield, but it's a mess for sure.

      Delete
  3. The Jets that passed you.. they are taught in training to use trucks buses and trailers And trains for targets so 💥 you’re a target
    The aircraft out of Lukes AFB Going to the Yuma gun range Used trucks As well as border patrol stations in the mountains for insurgents as targets as well on Interstate 8. Just think of it as your tax dollars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun, but a little scary! More the noise than anything.

      Delete
  4. Oh the memories of our times we stayed there. Thanks for taking us to our past travels and looking forward to traveling along in print. Nancy we sure envy you. It's hard to be in one place now but your travels and our memories, will feel like we're there again. Thank you. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm glad I brought back some memories for you. On this trip, it's all new to me!!

      Delete
  5. That was a good driving day. I love the rocks along the highway at Texas Canyon too. :)
    I hope you got out of the mud successfully.
    Travel safe! I missed your departure so will have to go back. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually was a good driving day ... no hot sun and not a lot of traffic.

      Delete
  6. I have never been thru Texas Canyon. Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will have to go there Elva. It's south of Benson before Wilcox. They have a large rest stop there so you can check out the rocks.

      Delete
  7. Wishing sunny days and dry ground for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Linda. As much as we need rain, I'm praying for DRY! LOL

      Delete