Saturday, May 9, 2020

Run For The Border ... Again!

I don't know why I didn't learn my lesson the first time.  Or even the time before that.  Hope springs eternal I guess.  What is that saying about doing the same thing but hoping for different results?  Insanity?

Thankfully cooler minds have prevailed and things are opening up around here quite nicely.  I was even surprised to find a little town where NOTHING had shut down.  I should have known because it's a farming town.  By the way, did you know that anything related to farming is exempt from all this "stuff"?

Businesses were open, fields were being planted everywhere and people were even hugging.  How could that be?  I parked around back and went in the fabric store, not wanting to get anyone in trouble.  This shop would be closed down forever if they had not remained open.  That would be two families with no means of support, and this is just one tiny town.  I'm hoping all the other small towns across the nation did the same thing.

At any rate, I picked up the backing for three quilts.  The googly eyes are for a Halloween one I finished six months ago.  I'm a little behind with my sewing.  Why oh why I picked a Halloween quilt, I'll never know.

I'm hoping they don't raise their prices due to the "pandemic", but I see huge increases in everything in the near future.  Somebody is going to have to pay through the nose with millions on unemployment and the cost will just be passed on to us.  In case you were wondering, the fabric, batting and quilting for a queen sized quilt cost me around $380, a little less if I shop Joanns Fabrics. I won't be making any more that size any time soon.
On the way out, after shedding a tear over my credit card, I spotted the Border.  The steering wheel turned without any help from me.  I mean really, just watch one of their commercials and you KNOW  it's going to be the best Mexican food you ever ate!!

This is a NO CONTACT meal, except someone had to make it up and put it in the box.  I did not see glove one in the kitchen.  When I asked if they took cash, he said yes.  I dumped it in the plastic container he was holding.  I wondered if they sprayed it with something before touching it.

He handed me the pepsi with gloved hand.  Then out popped the black tray with my box on it.  I couldn't help but touch the tray trying to get the box in my car.  I rather imagine many others have touched the same tray.
So here it is folks ... the $5 Crispy Chalupa Box.  The burrito ..... folded over so there was four layers of lovely hard tortilla surrounding a quarter cup of beans, along with a tablespoon of something resembling hamburger, all smothered in the most gorgeous orange sticky stuff.  Hmmmm just like the last one I got.  Hasn't changed a bit.
Next up .... Chalupa!!  Although I thought it was a crispy one with the taco shell inside, I was wrong. However, I did get my daily dose of vitamins from the lettuce and tomatoes.  Not bad once you get past the thick doughy shell part.  I scarfed up the insides.
I saved the best part for dinner, the regular taco.  At least these have real cheese, or maybe real cheese product.  By the way, the Pepsi was the most watered down one I think I've ever tasted.  I know it's fixable because we have the same products at the Elks Lodge.  The amount of syrup is adjustable.  Maybe Taco Bell is saving money.
Lastly, what the heck is this???  At first I thought fried pig skin.  Nope, I can smell cinnamon.  Ohhhhh these are ..... what do you call those things at the fair?  Churros!!  I chomped my way through about four before tossing the rest.  I have to admit they certainly give you a LOT of these.
Yup ... just as good as the last time.  I don't know what happened between now and my college years when I dined there often, but I'm pretty sure that's the last time I will stop in.  I have deleted all Taco Bells from my GPS unit.

In other good news, OUR little town is opening up also.  There were lots of soft openings Friday with businesses now being open every day.  Interestingly enough, almost everyone out and about was a cowboy or farmer.  Some were paying attention to social distancing, but most were giving out hugs.  We shall see if they all die in two weeks.

From now on, instead of supporting the big franchises, I'll be eating out at local small diners in the hopes everyone else does the same and they can recover from this crazy shut-down.  Get your wallets ready ..... I think it's going to get expensive to live in the U.S.

For you husbands, boyfriends, sons, daughters and every other kind of family member, remember it's Mother's Day tomorrow!!  



8 comments:

  1. Never realized how expensive Quilts were to make.
    It's been a while since we made a run for the border. You might try Del Taco. A lot different then the Bell.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the excitement.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't even have a Del Taco around here. Taco Bell, McDonalds and Burger King are about it. Not much of a choice!!

      Delete
  2. Nothing like puffed up cardboard rolled in cinnamon and sugar for dessert...lol
    Whenever we are at a craft show and I see a quilt for sale and hear people talk about how ridiculously expensive they are I think, sometimes thoughts like somehow escape out my mouth, go into a material shop and check it out. That is just for the price of the material; not for the hours of work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right on both counts Deb. Yup .. puffed up cardboard is the perfect description. As to the quilts, if you add labor, they are not very affordable at all. Sometimes we get lucky and find sales on fabric, but the quilting always runs between $100 and $200 each.

      Delete
  3. I bought a KING quilt at Walmart = $29.99 Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not alone! All but one of my bed quilts came from T J Maxx. I don't want my puppies ruining my pretty quilts! Hahahaha

      Delete
  4. Ha ha ha....I like the churros from Taco Bell but I never stop there. My son in law calls the"meat" from Taco Bell "meat paste". Wow...I had no idea the material for a quilt would cost that much.

    ReplyDelete