Monday, May 25, 2020

I'm Up The Creek ... Where's My Paddle?

It seems like I'm in this kind of pickle a lot.  I'm always up the creek with no paddle in sight, not even a stick to wave in the wind.  At the moment, my pictures refuse to load to the blog, that after having slogged through three inches of water out front, getting slapped in the face with the biggest sprinkler on the property.  All happening at 4:30 in the morning.

It's now 5:30, meaning my internet is back to dial-up speed.  With everyone staying home, too many people are on this wavelength, making it slow as molasses.  That beautiful picture I had of the flag waving for Memorial Day will have to wait.

In the meantime, say a little prayer for those who gave their lives for our freedom and safety. Wait for it ......
Yay ... I got it to work!!  

In the meantime, having heard my biggest sprinklers in the front running for over an hour when they really SHOULD be going only 15 minutes, I trekked out to see what the problem was.  First, I turned them off.  That's funny, they kept going.  Uh oh ......

I removed the box to find the valve spraying water into the sky, meaning it's broken.  DING DING DING ... I win the PRIZE!!!  Through my still foggy brain (no coffee yet) I tried to get a little bit of reasoning going.  The system is off, the sprinklers are still going, I'll shut off the main valve.  

It's completely full of the nastiest water, slugs and black widow spiders, but none the less, I stick my hand down there.  Alas, there's no way I can turn that valve.  About that time, the sprinkler hit me in the butt!!  Yikes!!!  Now I'm sufficiently soaked from head to toe.

On the way back to the door, just for good measure, the second sprinkler hit me in the side of my face.  Well THAT woke me up!!  Since I'm pretty far up the creek now and I have not a paddle or even a life jacket, my only alternative is to flip off the circuit breaker for the well.  I hate doing that.  There's a big chance something ELSE will go wrong.

So here I sit with no water in the house, on a holiday, and it's too early to try and call the gardeners to fix it.  They probably won't be around anyway.  The good news is I still have water in the rig.  I knew there was a reason I didn't empty that tank!!

So for this morning, while I try to come up with a plan for another one of those "man" tasks, I'll leave you with this thought.








8 comments:

  1. How about a trip to Home Depot and get a tool to turn off the valve?

    As for the Internet, that early in the morning should not be slow...it is something with your provider. You might try turning off the router and restarting it after 10 seconds or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried that several times and so far it's not working so well. Many moons ago I took my Jetpack in and they upgraded it. Thinking that may be the problem again.

      Delete
  2. We will be forever grateful to those who gave their lives for our freedom.
    That does not sound like a fun way to start the day even if a person liked playing in the sprinklers and before coffee is just not right.
    Take care and hope the rest of the day went better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Home Depot or Lowes probably has a Replacement Valve that will solve all your problems.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the plumbing problems.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they do, but I have no idea how to put one on. Apparently it involves purple glue and more knowledge than I have! Hopefully I'll get a lesson this time and can do it myself.

      Delete
  4. Not a very good holiday for you but if you are like us, every day is the same. special remembrances for those who fought for and gave their lives for others. Happy Memorial Day.
    On the other hand, you DID give me my morning chuckle. Oh for a video camera when we need it! haha

    ReplyDelete