Thursday, March 19, 2020

Please Share

I'm sorry to say this virus thing has caused lots of bad feelings and selfishness like I've never seen before. I'm guessing people are scared to death, causing the panic buying.  It's sad that we even HAVE social media now because it promotes so much craziness.

I went to Safeway yesterday, hoping to pick up some eggs.  In the parking lot, I saw a gentleman with FIVE of the largest cartons ... that's 90 eggs.  There was he, his wife and two kids.  Maybe he was buying them for the neighborhood.  At any rate, there were no eggs left when I got in the store.

There is still lots of ice cream!!  Actually, there were no frozen vegetables, but LOTS of frozen meals, which may be gone by now!!
What they DID have was huge ten pound chunks of beef wrapped up.  Apparently the butchers didn't even have time to cut it up.  I also spotted ten whole chickens at $1.99 a pound.  If you think groceries were expensive before, look out Charlie!!  I hope there is no price gouging, but I'm sure it will happen.

At any rate, I COULD have been terribly selfish and taken all ten chickens, but instead, I only took two.  I could see relief on the mother's face who was dragging three kids with her, that there was still something left.  She also only took two.

I guess in the end, we now know who our real friends are and how society will react in an emergency.  The more interesting part is the support Trump seems to have garnered.  2020 has come in with a BANG!!

Other than the grocery store, I spent most of the day cuddling with the puppies and working on this needlework piece.
That's when a light bulb went on.  How about baking some bread in that fancy bread machine?  It's really not on my list of things to eat, but these are trying times.  Doesn't it look beautiful?  Whole wheat to be exact.  

Problem was, my wheat flour was from 2018 and the yeast 8/19.  As pretty as it is, it's not all that tasty.  Oh it's edible, but a tad bit stale, even though the ingredients were kept in the fridge the entire time.  I sliced it up and put it in the freezer.  Jonathan LOVES bread.
In an effort to get a little fresh air, I did walk the property admiring the flowers, waving to the train engineers along the way.  I have some nice pictures I'll post tomorrow.  In the meantime, PLEASE share your food with neighbors, friends and family should they need it.  Should anyone run out, most restaurants are staying open for drive up meals.  

By the way, the scammers are out in full force now.  Do NOT be fooled by emails asking for your social security number so you can receive your money.  There's NO free money coming from these guys.  They only want to take yours.  Also be aware of phone calls ... I got two yesterday asking for my bank information so they could send me a check.  It's not happening folks .... don't be fooled!!





16 comments:

  1. There's probably nothing wrong with the Bread but since you haven't made it in a while your tastebuds have their own idea of what the taste should be.
    Hoping this mess soon disappears.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your Kids.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what nurse Patty said. Remember what homemade bread used to taste like in the old days???

      Delete

  2. Lucky our little ones have sweet parents to cuddle them when it rains:)) Wish I could just whip up some bread. Looks great. As long as they have pudding and whip cream I'll be happy 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Doug ... what's your favorite pudding??? I'm with you on the whipped cream!!

      Delete
  3. In one of the post I did yesterday it goes something like this
    Yesterday afternoon after work 230 The Mrs. decided that she wanted hamburgers OK not a problem pop in a Walmart guess what Charlie Brown there wasn't a loaf of bread on the shelf and you don't eat hamburgers with English muffins or the only four packages of hot dog rolls
    OK that left that front part out well I get milk anyways guess what Lone Ranger there wasn't a damn drop of milk unless you like almond coconut or cream Maura OK so now I need dish soap OK Mr. clean guess what no isoap and I don't have a dishwasher well I do but she doesn't work fultime
    No the other day I checked my thermometer do you know the anal kind
    I know a whole as a whole well Dr. Livingston guess what no batteries pack I'll just go buy a new one can you see where this is going guess what they were out of
    So I decided to go over to another Walmart which had even less than what the first Walmart had OK I will pay the big price I'll go to Publix no bread milk at four dollars and half gallon I did buy some Hawaiian rolls And scrounge out a gallon of milk So we were lucky enough to have hamburgers and milk to wash it down
    Did I say the meat market is closed but I did manage to hoard two packages of bacon Ai 5.99 each
    You don't want to talk about toilet paper that's almost a political situation
    But all I'll say is that if you need 144. rolls of f-in toilet paper you really should go see a doctor
    Oh and by the way did I say Walmart Publix all these DJs don't have any toilet paper I want $$$ stock and Sharman and great white
    And I'll take a few shares of trail sanitizer to if you think you could find any of that good luck $99 for 28 ounce on eBay remember it's free enterprise
    But if there's any good news out there my INR is 2.5 and no that's not my blood pressure
    The news is IS getting to be just like listening to Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck
    By the way whatever happened to Paul Harvey (ya unfortunately he died)
    All I need now is a computer virus To match my day and mood
    I'm not a drinker but Corona beer sounds like a good deal
    So true your TV and radio and computer off for 24 hours and see how your mood changes isn't it wonderful
    And by the way $1.99 for any chicken even if he did pop out five cartons of eggs is a good deal dead OR alive
    So don't tell me what kind of a day to have but I hope you enjoy yours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Ed ... that was definitely a bad day!! I'm hoping it slows down soon so we can get back to some form of normalcy!!

      Delete
  4. I received a "real" Verizon message yesterday advising me that we could 'possibly' use their free spam stopper on our phones. Well, my new LTE Flip Phone works, Marcia's older flip phone can't work...time to buy her a new phone. All I can say is that since I did it. (Log into Verizon, click on manage device, click on Call Filter, toggle it to on...it is that easy)

    Went to a different local store and they too had meat, chicken, lots of produce, but out of TP and some cleaning supplies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I didn't get any message like that!! I'll have to check it out. Sure would be nice to stop these idiots.

      Delete
  5. That needlepoint piece is beautiful. I bet that bread will make delicious toast, grilled cheese sandwiches and french toast. Sorry about the grocery store situation in your area. My local Raley's is doing good. I was there Tuesday and the stock was pretty good. Shoppers were being nice to each other and no one looked like they were hoarding. Take care.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe YOUR area isn't having the same problems. Maybe it has to do with Arizona. You were right, the bread tasted better when toasted!

      Delete
  6. People must be making bread, because now the stores have no flour. Are we in Russia?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make me laugh Carol .... no bread and now NO yeast!! LOL

      Delete
  7. Good post, things are dire but they don't have to be as bad as they are if people shared. :)
    Love the needlepoint!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your bread does look yummy...Thinking Elva is right that you could use it for those things she mentioned. You are so right, if people used common sense there would be no hoarding. But common sense has gone out the window for sure !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Shirley. That's something they don't teach in schools.

      Delete