Monday, March 30, 2020

More On Safari

A big shoutout to Leilani for finding information on this abandoned building south of Tucson.  It truly amazes me that this huge very expensive steel girder building was left to it's own devices in the desert.  Apparently it was a manufactured home construction company that went bankrupt in the mid 1960's.   It would seriously be a good location for a house ..... and an RV or two or three!!
At any rate, no matter where you go, there are idiots with cans of spray paint.  I just don't get their need to deface buildings, rocks, trees, tunnels and even dams.  The entire inside and outside of this building is covered.  Hmmmm maybe that was the moaning sound.
Once the motorcycle guy left, I walked around a little, being mindful of rattle snakes, cactus and the sounds of vehicles.  This would be a wonderful view.  All the cactus is happy and blooming quite significantly.
Wildflowers were out in abundance, but only in certain places.  At the beginning of the road there were layers of them, but further along, I think the cactus sucked up all the water.  Sadly, I did not see one single creature on the entire trip.  Bummer!
I kept looking over my shoulder to make sure no one was following me ... the moaning and all ... when I spotted this beauty!  What the heck!!  Here I thought the fairy dusters were rare, and now everywhere I look .... there they are!!  This one is a beauty, just like at the desert museum.  Where's my shovel?
Back home safe and sound, my acacia tree was happily blooming bright yellow pom poms.  How in the world did this tree get here?  They are native in tropical and sub-tropical countries, like Africa and Australia, yet here's one in my back yard.  I've been waiting for the elephants to arrive for happy hour.
I spent the rest of the night watching Jonathan molt.  Exciting, no??  Every spring he loses his tail feathers and every July-August-ish he loses all the white downy under-feathers.  In other words, I'm always cleaning up feathers.
My next big safari is to the grocery store.  Woohoo!!!  To Doug and Yuma, if you need anything, let me know.  I'll be heading your way for some photo ops this week and would be happy to deliver.  

Day 18 - I feel like I'm wasting my life away just sitting around doing nothing






13 comments:

  1. Very interesting info on the building! Too bad nothing's been done with it all those years. Would definitely be a beautiful area for a house. Sweet of you to offer to shop for Doug and Yuma :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doug is smart ... he's parked far away from everyone! I hope this craziness stops soon.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm deleting your comment Doug ... no use leaving your phone number out there!!

      Delete
    2. Thanks. Im a pretty popular guy 👦:))

      Delete
    3. Hahaha Doug you ARE ..... I just don't want those scammers to pick it up!!

      Delete
  3. It is sad to see good buildings all over the world going to waste for all kinds of reasons.
    Nice Desert Flowers.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the Isolation.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Rick ... Bankruptcy can ruin buildings rather quickly.

      Delete
  4. We have trees like your yellow pom-pom one here in TX. They're called Huisache locally (acasia farnesiana, AKA vachellia farnesiana) & they're native in this state wherever the soil is reasonably dry & in the rest of the SW too, including out your way, I think.

    They're also blooming here right now - could that be what you have? If so, you won't likely see any elephants stomping around your garden at happy hour, probably only javelina, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It very well could be. The previous owners told me it was acacia. At this point I would welcome the elephants!! LOL

      Delete
  5. It is a shame about the building being left to a slow death. That happens way to often in our area, also. I will never figure out why there are people out there that have to use paint and leave their mark on everything. Though I have to admit I don't mind the graffiti on trains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graffiti would be so much more interesting if you could actual read it!! I can only get a word here and there!! I just wish they would leave nature type things alone.

      Delete
  6. You are probably right, the building was moaning at all the graffiti. :( They should take their paint cans to Cadillac Ranch.
    You are so sweet offering to shop for Doug, but then we already knew you have a big heart. :)
    Those fairy dusters are gorgeous!!! I'd love some here on the Ridge. and your little pom poms are so cute!

    ReplyDelete