Sunday, March 15, 2020

It's A Ghost Town

There is just nothing more spectacular than looking out the window and seeing the sun emblazon the palo verde trees under a cloudy sky.  Pictures just don't do it justice at all.  I'm happy to say I survived the time change, mostly because there IS no time change in Arizona AND Friday the 13th.  Woohoo!!
While I contemplated my laundry list of things to get done since I've been pretty lazy the last couple of days, I watched for signs of life in the back yard.  I was rewarded with this beauty.  The Gamble quail have returned in their best finery.  I sure love seeing these guys scurry across the grass looking for breakfast.
They love to jump up on top of my concrete block fence and take in the view.  They may be looking for nest possibilities too.  There is always one or two households set up under my oleander bushes inside the yard.
Here's the real indication spring has sprung .... these guy coming out to sun themselves on the same fence.  He was very far away, but still wary and disappeared in a flash.
Here's my latest recipe find for you no-sugar folks.  I whipped this up in the early morning hours.

Blend 8 oz softened cream cheese until fluffy.
Add one cup of raspberries and blend again.  
Add in one cup heavy cream and whip until fluffy.
Add 1/2 cup swerve sugar substitute
Add 1 tsp vanilla and blend until even fluffier.
EAT!!!

I put mine in little cups and stuck them in the fridge.  It's mousse-like and delicious.  It's not all that sweet, so it's perfect for after dinner.  It even freezes really well, but I prefer to eat it thawed and not frozen.  
Contrary to all the current recommendations, because you know I'm contrary, I went to town.  I was out of printer ink and had an order to pick up at the sewing machine store.  I chose the perfect day.  Usually on Saturdays, traffic is horrible and you can't get around in the stores.

It was like a Ghost Town!!  Traffic was NIL.  I loved it!!  I was however shocked to walk into Best Buy and see NO ONE!!  Well this is a pretty nice surprise!  I went right up to a salesman, staying the required ten feet away, who took me to the ink aisle and I was out in less then five minutes.  Best Buy on a SATURDAY!!!  Maybe there's a good side to this panic thing after all!!  It was like the aliens came and got every shopper but me!!

I think today I'll be off to Walmart for Def fluid for the rig ... might as well take advantage of the ghost town while I can.  The day ended with lovely pink clouds.  The colors that appear in the clouds always amaze me.
Sadly, the FMCA rally at the fairgrounds was canceled because the Tucson Mayor decided not to let anyone congregate in crowds of more than ten people.  What a shame for all those people who paid up to $600 for the four days, not to mention all the vendors.  I'm sure glad I didn't order $3,000 worth of ice cream for THAT one!!

It's almost St Patrick's Day ... do you know where your corned beef is???






14 comments:

  1. Fresh Air and Sunshine are the best ways to fight these Viruses.
    Beautiful pictures of the sky and Quails.
    Those that made deposits should be entitled to refunds.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the Ghost Town.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about the sunshine, but people here are not leaving their houses ... and there are very few cases. The media has made this look like the plague.

      Delete
  2. Don't tell me that they are not going to reimburse the people back if they paid already???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They haven't decided. They have already paid for a lot of things themselves, so that money is not all available. Not sure what they will do.

      Delete
  3. The Cornovirus sure is hurting the businesses. Wonder how it will affect our economy. Haven't seen any Gamble Quails yet but listening for them. Have a great day 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many businesses are even closing for a few weeks. Very sad for all those that are not going to get paid. Keep listening ... you'll hear the quail!!!

      Delete
  4. Nancy, I just made my corned beef & cabbage in my 6-quart instant pot. Started at 9 am and the vegetables just was placed in the pot for 3 minutes (10:50 am) Will not have time on Monday and Tuesday so today was the best day. We are having it for dinner tonight, Sunday. This is the 3rd time using the recipe from WWW.PRESSURELUCKCOOKING.COM by Jeffrey. I bought a FLAT corned beef at Safeway & the veggies. This recipe calls for Guiness beer which I had on hand for future corned beefs. The corned beef is done now the veggies are doing their thing. Gave David a piece of the corned beef and was told very tender. Try it, you may like it. NO PROBLEMS at all. Also, I used RED POTATOES (6) instead of the 2 IDAHO POTATOES. Lynn Cross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a secret Lynn ... I already cooked one. Hoping to pick up a couple more on sale. Jeffrey's recipes are truly the best!! I'm with you on the red potatoes!!! I'm so happy it worked for you!

      Delete
  5. So did you go to Walmart? How many cups did you get from that recipe? Elva Shannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DID go to Walmart. Hardy anyone there. That recipe made six cups, each about four-five ounces. I used a cup of frozen (then thawed) mix berries left over from the Indio rally. Not as good as plain raspberries.

      Delete
  6. which town did you go to for Walmart ? I was in Tucson looking at 55+ communities in Vail, Marana and Green Valley. I don't recall seeing a Walmart in Vail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's on Houghton just north of I-10. Fairly new, along with PetCo, Ross, TJ Maxx, McDonalds ... it's becoming it's own little town. Not visible from the freeway however.

      Delete
  7. We stopped in Alabama on the way down to FL. Freaking madhouse at Walmart at 0800. People are crazy with the hoarding etc..Too bad about the FMCA Rally..geez!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just so surprised that the entire country is so easily swayed. It's scary!!

      Delete