Monday, March 2, 2020

Kiss A Contractor!!

Yuppers ..... this was me, all day yesterday, ON THE COUCH.  Niagara Falls has turned into Yosemite Falls and I'm buying stock in Kleenex.  The puppies enjoyed the entire day snuggling up to me.  It's their favorite pastime.

I sneezed 389 times, and that was just before lunch.  It didn't help that I got an alert on my phone saying yesterday was the worst day of the century for pollen.  How could I be so lucky?
When I wasn't asleep, I admired my rig parked just outside, in between being scared by movement in the back yard.  My smoggy foggy brain just couldn't remember it was from the mini kite I put up a few days ago.  
Thank goodness I have one more day to sleep before making myself presentable to the Plumber who will be here tomorrow, assuming the creek doesn't rise and he actually shows up.  Did I tell you about the Plumber?

I asked them for a pan underneath the hot water heater in case there was a leak.  No use having to buy a new house because of water damage.  I also had a bathroom faucet to replace.  Here's the deal they gave me.  $2,333 for a leak detection system.  Nope, just a pan.  $479 for a water heater kit.  Nope, just a pan please.  $473 to replace the bathroom faucet with MY faucet and change the valves, because, well, they just SHOULD be changed.  Only a measly $160 for the hot water heater pan.  YES!  Install the pan.

Oh well Miss Kissack, that price was only if you purchased the entire package, including the kitchen sink replacement of $750.  It's a good thing I wasn't sick then or I might have taken Nick's advice and given him a big kiss, passing along Niagara Falls.  Share the wealth, so to speak.

The final negotiated deal is to install the pan and replace the faucet for $379.  I'm just SO OVER contractors!!!  It seems to be a completely different age in that respect.  

So the next time you get sick, do me a favor and kiss a contractor.  

SNEEZE!!  SNEEZE!!  That's number ten this morning.  I'll be on the couch counting my pennies from my investment in Kleenex!!





14 comments:

  1. Why is it so hard to get people to work?! If nothing else you would think the contractor might have a worker of his who does side work and would gladly take that job! Geez..Hopefully your water pan guy will show! Hope your feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand. When I was a contractor, I answered every phone call and went out of my way to visit sites. It's your livelihood!!

      Delete
  2. Now I get the kiss a contractor comment on my blog. Ha ha if I get sick, I will!!
    I sure hope you feel better soon so you can kick some royal butt!!
    Cooper looks quite happy beside mama. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a different world and no one is ever really listening just trying to sell you their agenda...good luck. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it exactly. I would never have thought of overselling people when I was a contractor.

      Delete
  4. The Mom and Pop Hardware Stores carry the same things as the Big Box Stores do at lower prices but they might not have it in stock all the time. Contractors generally order direct from distributors then double the price to the customer. They also charge at least a Hundred Dollars per Hour for making Service Calls. The more things they can talk you into getting done at once means a full day's work with Higher Labour Costs thus increasing their bottom line.
    Knowing how to do things on your own can save you big Dollars. Putting a Pan under the Water Heater requires Disconnecting and Emptying the Heater. It is then move so the Pan can be put in place, where the Heater will be returned then reconnected. A Drain Line is then connected to the Pan. Easy-Peasy!
    Be Safe and Enjoy kissing a Contractor.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well ... true, I think it's an easy job, but not easy for me, requiring the contractor. Honestly, I wouldn't MIND kissing the contractor if he got the work done! LOL

      Delete
  5. You need to find a GOOD handy man, not a specific trade guy. A good handy man can fix all those things and if you find one that is reliable (calls back, shows up on time, explains everything to you) keep his number handy, pay him well and don't expect miracles. Trades people, including handymen usually fall into two categories, the really good ones, or the really bad ones.(There are always those few that squeeze between the categories but they are few) The two are usually easy to identify. Keep moving on down the list until you find one that works for you. Don't settle for the one that doesn't call back, doesn't show up or talks to you like you have three heads and no ears. You're only asking to be taken advantage of in lots of ways. Price, quality of work, issue resolving and respect. If they can't show you respect to begin with by returning your call and talking to you like you are a potential customer they aren't the people you want working for you anyway. Move on until you find the right one. It will take a lot of phone calls to find him but he's out there. Good luck. Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the advice ... I need all I can get. Thanks to reader Allison, I now have some names, so I'll be contacting them from now on!!

      Delete
  6. Terrible to be sick and have to deal with contractors. Not fair. Just take care of yourself and let the rest slide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly doesn't make it any easier, as you know since you had the crud recently too. It ruins my thinking cells!! Hope you are back to normal!!

      Delete
  7. As we all know, there are many companies and business owners who are just beginning to explore the possibility of starting their own small business and all they want is a good idea. You can find more details on zcode line reversal on the site score predictor pro.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As stated by Stanford Medical, It's in fact the ONLY reason this country's women get to live 10 years longer and weigh 19 KG lighter than us.

    (And actually, it really has NOTHING to do with genetics or some secret-exercise and absolutely EVERYTHING related to "how" they eat.)

    BTW, I said "HOW", and not "what"...

    Click this link to discover if this easy quiz can help you unlock your true weight loss possibility

    ReplyDelete