Saturday, March 14, 2020

Isn't Nature Beautiful?

Who would think there were so many beautiful flowers in the desert.  I certainly don't remember any as a kid in the high desert of California.  Just let a little bit of springtime rain fall in Arizona and you have instant flowers, almost like those instant sea monkeys you bought as a kid.  This isn't inside of the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum, this is the parking lot.
Everywhere I walked, flowers were blooming.  It's not a trick because I saw very few drip irrigation lines.  It's just how the desert shows off it's finery.
This will be my next purchase with that plumber refund, assuming of course that it arrives in the mail.  This is a Baja fairy duster.  
Up close, this is what the flowers look like.  The colors range from white to dark pink.  Once I found out what it was, I was surprised to see it all along the highways, blooming up a storm.
You don't see many of these unless you are an early riser.  Most of these flowers bloom at night, giving you one day to catch them in the act.  
With my plant growing skills, these would most likely not bloom, but aren't they spectacular?  This one was taller than me.
I couldn't decide whether to look at the flowers or find the birds.  I've no idea what this is, but it looked like a weed .... very similar to my dandelions.
The roadsides are covered with this gorgeous yellow daisy-like flower.  They are everywhere.  I even have a few below my house, but of course they don't look like THIS!!
You've seen this picture before, but look at all the flowers.  Pretty amazing to see in person.
Even my little gopher plant is starting to bloom.  
They have the most interesting flowers at the tip of every branch.  I can tell you from experience, this one is snow and heat hardy.
Lastly, in my own little back yard still lives that cactus I planted a few weeks ago.  He's so happy he's going to bloom too!!  I can't wait to see the flowers.  Don't you just want to pat him on his little soft fuzzy head??
So if you're ever wandering around the desert in springtime, take the time to check out the locals.  They make the bleak landscape beautiful for a time, fooling you right into the hot summer months.

I'm sorry to say, my trip to Tubac has been cancelled, along with the FMCA International Rally at the fairgrounds where I was planning on getting insurance for my rig.  

I'm wondering why there was no panic (or toilet paper shortage) a few years ago with the Swine Flu, where over 12,000 people in the U.S. died.  As of March 12, there have been 38 deaths in the U.S. according to Beckers Hospital Review and the CDC.  The numbers just don't compute.  I guess that's the accountant in me.

At any rate, I have no intention of sitting home.  There's stuff to do and things to see!!






15 comments:

  1. Good for you Nancy. Thanks for the education on desert flowers. I never know the names. The pictures of them are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I don't know very many names ... LOL I do love the flowers.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pictures of the desert flowers. They bring back memories of last year's stay.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the beauty of nature.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flowers are even more amazing since there has been more rain this winter. Hope you get back next year.

      Delete
  3. Kim and I saw those fairy dusters at Old Yuma city hall. They are gorgeous and I'd want some on my property too.
    Love the yellow flowers, they are EVERYWHERE!
    We've got to enjoy this life, since it 'could' be the only one we have. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I've never seen them before. The museum said they bloom every time it rains.

      Delete
  4. There was some panic with the Swine Flu. I worked in an inoculation clinic set up in a former Woolworth's store where the masses came to get shot. Maybe the difference is that there was an inoculation for that one? Or may be it's because we didn't have such immediate and pervasive "news" hype then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never did get a shot for the swine flu. As far as I know, there were no cases confirmed in my area. It certainly wasn't anything like this panic!!

      Delete
  5. Nancy, google this: CDC Flattening the Coronavirus Curves

    THIS is why they are eliminating all the large gatherings. They can't stop it, yet, with medicine, so they have to slow the exposure so that our healthcare won't get overloaded. This is going to hurt for awhile, but I think by June or July things will get back to normal, and I think by October they will be vaccinating people to keep it in check.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just seems like way too much hoopla to me. From the conversations with people who have had it, it is very mild and nothing like the swine flu. I just don't understand the panic induced by the media.

      Delete
  6. Nature is beautiful. The hummingbirds in yesterday's post were so pretty. Today's flowers gorgeous. That is what I missed about leaving early this year, seeing the flowers bloom in the desert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly has been a pretty winter ... made even better without snow!!

      Delete