Sunday, December 31, 2017

CALIFORNIA FUEL KILLS

The fuel prices in California are absolutely ridiculous.  Yes, we have a lot of smog here.  The reason (according to the legislature) for the high prices is all the additives to keep us smog free.  Their plan isn't working.  Maybe if they quit approving subdivisions in every square inch of the state, they would have fewer people and less cars.

I won't even begin to talk about all the taxes tacked on.  I worked in the Auditor's-Controller's office and know exactly what the taxes are and where it goes.  Believe me, it has absolutely nothing to do with repairing roads.  It's all about Welfare!!

I won't go there this morning however ... it just makes me too mad and I'm liable to have a heart attack.  Suffice to say the fuel prices are KILLING me ... AND my wallet!!  By the way, the price of fuel is higher in my little corner of the world than it is in any neighboring County.

SO ... this isn't a picture of the pump when I filled up my rig, it was when I filled up my diesel truck. As you can see, it only took 25 gallons and it cost me $95.00.  Imagine what it is when I have to fill the entire 50 gallon tank!
The sad news is I had to fill the motorhome with fuel yesterday too.  My one station had so many trucks in line they went clear out to the street and around the corner.  I went to TA Travel Center instead, where I managed to get in to an RV pump, taking up half the parking lot.  $250 later, I had a full tank.  That's almost $350 dollars of fuel in one day!!

I zeroed everything out, only to discover my fuel gauge says I'm only 3/4 full.  What??  I know 60 gallons went in and that's what the computer said I used since my last fill up ... so how come the gauge is wrong??  I hate it when this happens because now I'll worry about it, worry wart that I am!!

Back home, it was time for the big wash.  Up on the rooftop I climbed to scrub down the chalky white gunk.  I would give just about anything for a solution to this problem.
The white paint oxidizes .... it rains ... and this mess appears all over the rig from top to bottom.  I had the roof waxed last year, but it didn't help.  I have two things at hand ... The Solution and Aero 303.  Any hope either of those would help?  

I wasn't looking forward to washing the rig, but it had to be done.  The closest RV wash is over an hour away.  I got about halfway done yesterday and will finish up today, only because I know by tomorrow (always the second day) I will be too sore to raise my arms!!  Don't you just LOVE the RV life??
It is a tad foggy this morning, only getting worse until about 11:00 when the sun comes out.   That's when I'll be back outside in 45 degree weather washing away.  The up side is when I get done and come in the house, that 64 degrees feel pretty nice!!!
The New Year seems to be approaching at the speed of light.  Why just yesterday, I had three months of nothing to do!!  Now I'm scrambling as take-off day arrives faster than I expected.



9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blue Beacon truck wash locations
      AZ Casa Grande I-10, Exit 200 At Petro 520-426-9362
      AZ Eloy East I-10, Exit 208 By Flying J 520-464-8011
      AZ Kingman I-40, Exit 53 Next to Flying J 928-757-9898
      AZ Tolleson I-10, Exit 135 By Love's 623-936-2984
      CA* Barstow I-15, Exit 178 By Flying J 760-253-7395
      CA* Corning I-5 & South Ave, Exit 630 Across from Love's 530-824-0474
      CA* Flag City I-5 & Hwy 12, Exit 485 By Flying J 209-333-9210
      CA* Los Angeles I-10 & Alameda St, Exit 15B (W of I-5) South of 10 Freeway 213-477-1060
      CA* Wheeler Ridge I-5, Laval Rd Exit, Exit 219A

      Delete
  2. Since you've been doing more summer time traveling relocating your permanent address to Arizona seems more economical then ever. I only paid $2.799 a gallon the other day and it's thirty cents a gallon cheaper in Yuma. Other places throughout the country are cheaper even though Oil Prices are on the rise.
    You'd also save on the higher Taxes and Utility Bills. Worth some though. More money for traveling.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rick the price of gas is about the same throughout the United States what the killer is the city County state and federal tax it tacked onto it ( it's a win-win tax in that respect )
      The way to calculate that tax usually is in the The front pages of a truckers atlas map it'll break it down by state ( you can also find it online as well )
      When a trucker runs cross country he'll only buy fuel to get through that particular state if the cost of fuel is high if I drive through California and I know I'm going to do 500 miles I figure the truckers mileage tax That I have to pay that state and only secure that amount of fuel, Allstate have a mileage tax based on the amount of miles that we drive in that particular state
      The cheapest fuel that you'll find and the lowest tax are usually in a oil refinery state Like Louisiana Mississippi and Texas
      Yes California has a refinery but they're text to the hilt
      Winter fuel in the upper state cost a little more because of the dewaxing that they put in for cold weather
      So if you're using warm weather fuel and you're going to freezing North fuel up there not here save your rv a lot of headaches
      Last week Central Florida fuel was 215 this week it's 237

      Delete
    2. You are certainly right Rick ... I probably should relocate. It's just such a daunting task!! Fuel is cheaper everywhere except California and Canada!! LOL

      Delete
  3. I think if you just used a brush and water instead of any chemicals to wash the top of the RV I think it would be better.
    my reasoning is the chemicals that you use no matter how mild.
    I think along with UV causes a chemical reaction. When it rains it washes some of those particles off, which give you your streaks
    In the boating industry a lot of yacht use mop and glow type products to combat that
    But we've never tried it on an RV but then again your RV doesn't get washed as much is a yacht
    As for your black rubber trim I think the only way you could seal that is wax it
    As for the black windshield rubbers. alcohol on a rag will clean it
    Just like your black trim rubber everything that it is exposed to outside rain air snow UV deteriorate any black rubber
    If you want to test that theory go get a cheap white cleaning rag and rub a tire on your truck the rag will come out partially black
    You just put new tires on the RV do the same you won't see it as much
    That's the UV and other chemicals break that tire down.
    3 good pieces of advice
    do not put on any armor all or any tire shine (it contains petroleum)
    If you have tire covers for the RV use them as much as you can
    If you find a noodle cut it big enough to cover your windshield wipers that will slow down the UV process
    And five dollar windshield wiper is no different then a $50 wiper
    Don't fall for the advertisement

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mop and Glo ... I like that idea! I have covers for my wipers and tires. I just took them off for pictures.

      Delete
  4. Take off day always arrives faster than you can imagine! We sit here doing nothing or just a few preparations, then BAM! there are 500 things to do and only 1 week to get them all done! Good Luck and Safe Travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth Suzy!!! Glad it's not just me!!

      Delete