Saturday, December 23, 2017

I Like A Challenge

I like challenges.  They keep me going.  Challenges get me interested in new things, get me off the couch and the best part ... using my brain.  That's one reason I wanted to get into flash photography.  I've had all the equipment for many years, just never put it to use.  I still haven't ..... I have six more chapters to read in the book.

What to cook for an RV rally breakfast is probably the biggest challenge I have.  As a group, we have had some great ones, but they involved a big kitchen and an even bigger oven.  I will have a tiny convection oven on 30 amp power, so when I saw THIS recipe, I thought it just might be the bees knees.

So simple ... chop up apples, cut up pre-made cinnamon rolls, stir in sugar, more cinnamon and butter.  Bake for 30 minutes.
Turns out it wasn't the bees knees after all.  It was like drinking an entire jar of honey.  WAAAYYYY too sweet for me, let alone everyone else.  This challenge failed.  Lets switch to something else.
I finished stitching the squares for this bright sunny quilt.  I probably purchased this one three years ago.  It's truly a challenge to stay OUT of fabric stores and not buy more.  I spent all day moving the squares around, taking pictures, turning them to black and white, then moving squares again.  It's REALLY a challenge to get these looking balanced.  Today I'll begin to sew it together.
On one short foray into town for those camera batteries, I spotted a beautiful feather tree.  $50!!!!!   Good grief!!  I bet I can make that for a LOT less.  That came from a little used part of my brain from when I was in my twenties and hand making everything for Christmas decorations.  The challenge was on!!

After stopping at three stores (I probably used up $20 worth of fuel) I found a thin white feather boa. Perfect!!  The cone was the most expensive, but came to only $5 with my half off coupon.  I pinned one end on the top, wrapped it all around till I was out of boa, then pinned it on the bottom.  VOILA!!  A $10 feather tree.  That was an easy challenge.  Now if I can just get all that fluff off the floor.
Here's a really dumb challenge ... keeping your fingernails clean.  A toothbrush and soap usually work for me ... I don't know why in the world I would grab a pair of brand spanking new SHARP scissors to do the job.  I'm only telling on myself so you won't do the same dumb thing.  

I pushed too hard, the scissors slipped and I sliced the end of my finger from one side to the other.  It's okay if you're laughing ... I laughed at myself!!  At least I don't have to worry about cleaning it any more since it's wrapped up in a bandage for the rest of the week!!

Today I'm playing the couch potato game as I finish reading the Flash Book.   Tomorrow's challenge ..... roasting this beautiful $50 piece of meat.  That's a lot of $$$$$$ to screw up, so I'm going to follow the recipe VERY carefully.
It's the eve of Christmas Eve!!  I hope you have all your shopping done and remember the reason for the season.  I do have to say for the first time ever, traffic is not really bad and the stores are not packed with crazy people.  In the meantime, I'm packing the rig little by little ... getting ready for takeoff!!




6 comments:

  1. Nothing like a challenge love you feather tree, looks awesome !
    And that prime rib, oh my goodness, sure hope it turns out perfect for you, nothing quite like as good as a prime rib roast. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I'm going to be extra careful with that roast!!!

      Delete
  2. I relate to the too sweet comment. I had a snickerdoodle the other day that was so sweet two slices of bacon was not enough of an antidote. I used to LOVE snickerdoodles. Guess my tastes have changed over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a terrible sweet tooth, but would rather have a muffin than a piece of candy. Less is better!!

      Delete
  3. Had to go to two grocery stores today....grrrrrr....3 hours later, I was putting stuff away in the motorhome. We leave on Tuesday...going I-5 this time, so don't listen for our honking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly how you feel Dave!! Don't rush ... take your time and have a very Merry Christmas!!!

      Delete