Thursday, December 14, 2017

It's Good To Be TALL

I'm pretty average as tallness goes.  I can usually reach things on the top shelf.  Yesterday, I was wishing I was six feet tall.

There's one really cool benefit I receive each year from my long ago photography class.  I became very good friends with the Instructor.  So much so that at the drop of a hat, we would take off on a road trip to wherever, to appease our photography itch (something like hitch itch only worse).

He still teaches at the local College, both Beginning Digital and Advanced Photography.  At the end of each semester, I am invited back to the classroom for lots of laughs and M & M's while I critique the newest batch of photography enthusiasts.

Just to be sure I remember the basics, which by now I do automatically without thinking, I decided to review my notes from his class so many years ago.  That binder is around here somewhere!  I searched for an hour and couldn't lay my hands on it.

Finally, in frustration, I opened this very tall cabinet door and spied three big binders.  AHA!!!  Turns out it wasn't an aha moment after all.  I reached up to pull out the stuff stacked on top, grabbed the handle and gave it a big tug.

Were I tall enough, I would have seen the three hardcover photography books laying out of sight.  They all came crashing down and hit me square in the middle of my forehead.  Good grief that hurt!! The sad part .... it was NOT the binder I was looking for.  I gathered up all the flotsam and replaced it on the high in the sky shelf.
An hour later, as I walked by my desk, I spotted the binder I wanted.  It was on the floor, having become a step to raise my surge protector up to help with the too-short cords.  It was fun looking back through the images, most of which are terrible.  Somewhere I have my portfolio from back in the day, but I'm afraid to look for it.  It's probably up on that tall shelf somewhere.

It was a fun class with about ten students, many of which seemed to have home life problems.  Believe it or not, that makes for some very good photography.  For some reason they seem to be able to show that in their images.  Yes, some were terrible, but you never tell them that.  Always encourage in photography.  

The idea of my being there is to critique their portfolio, not just look at the pictures.  A portfolio should flow from image to image, with your second best in the first slot and your best in the last.  Much as I loved the pictures of the horse and the cow, along with a couple of kitties, they just don't work in between two images of night lights.  

They don't see themselves as artists, even though they have created some great images.  Of course I don't consider myself an artist either.  I wish I could show you some of the amazing work by beginner photographers using point and shoot cameras.  Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to take pictures while there.  

At the end of the night, I think they were all pretty happy they passed the class.  Hopefully they take my praise of their work to heart and continue with the advanced class.  

Back home really late, I discovered I have a huge bump on my forehead.  That's going to look really nice today with it's lovely shades of black and blue as I take my sewing machine for maintenance about 65 miles away.  You can't imagine how much fluff gets into the working parts, causing havoc if not removed.  It's 29 degrees this morning, so at least it will be clear driving!!





4 comments:

  1. Is my interpretation of what you stated right or wrong
    You said that the students don't think of themselves as artists regardless of the quality of work that they do
    I think it should be the other way around A photographer is an artist the only difference is you are not in his mind Eye
    When I was in high school I was part of the photography freshman class of 6
    The very first day of class we were given a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 slide plate graphics box camera
    Which held two negatives one on each side
    Our teacher instructed us that we were not students or photographers we were artists and to shoot accordingly well let me tell you a secret they all went in the trashcan thank goodness overtime we got better
    I think some people are artists some people are photographers and some people should go home
    If you take any negative from Ansell Adams Collection and look at the process to get the finished product it took his artistic talent to bring out that quality
    The photograph was already there
    And if he shot it in color they probably never would've been famous,
    We all love the day to day modern Digital photography take 25 and hope one good one comes out
    But if you take an artistic photographer he/she only needs one shot
    It's the artist that brings the photograph to life
    If you really want to have and experience find a photographer that develops an inlarge his own photographs, I think you will see photography in a completely different light
    So is one an artist or a photographer







    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think photographers CAN be artists ... it just depends on whether they can "see" and shoot beautiful images, even in a trash can.

      Delete
  2. Remembering the old Photography Classes with dozens of other people trying to work in the only two Darkrooms and then someone would mess up the chemical mixtures making everything smell like vinegar.
    Converting the Family Bathroom into a Darkroom soon lost its appeal especially if someone was sick.
    Having your own apartment meant you could set up a Dark/Storage/Office/Junk Room that you hardly used because now you had to spend more time working to pay the rent.
    When Digital finally made photography easier there was an empty room in the house but the thrill of hunting for that perfect picture is still there.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right Rick. My darkroom was in the kitchen pantry. I'm SO happy digital became popular!!

      Delete