Tuesday, August 20, 2013

A Couple of Alaska Notes ....

I've had several people ask me if my Alaska trip was worth it and would I go again.  It's not exactly over yet, but we ARE back in the states.  Yes it was worth it!!  Yes I would go again in a heartbeat and probably will as soon as I finish two other trips I've been wanting to do.  There's just no place else to see this many wild animals along side the road and such spectacular scenery.  If you are an animal lover at all, you should go to Alaska. 

If you even thought you MIGHT want to go ... read back through the blog and write down every place we stayed including how long, and mark it on a map.  There you have it ... your trip already planned for you!!  Whenever possible, make reservations if you want to stay at an RV park and will arrive after 1:00 pm.  

"But it's all snow and ice!!" People think Alaska is cold.  The average temperature when we were there was probably between 60 and 70 degrees, even in the image below.  We crossed over into Canada around June 1st.  We were ahead of the crowds that come up in caravans, yet late enough that there was NO SNOW on the roads.  The mountains, yes ... but without the snow, you wouldn't have spectacular scenery!!!  Yes it rains, some years more than others.  Take an umbrella and a rain coat!!

"But the roads are all gravel"!!  The roads are just like they look in this picture.  All are paved, unless you wander off the beaten path.    There are bad spots, no doubt.  98% are marked with orange flags and cones so you know to slow down.  The worst section was between the U.S. and Canadian borders ... just drive slow!!  There ARE gravel sections where roads are being repaired, causing construction delays (just like in California) but we never waited more than 10 minutes or so.  They do long sections, maybe 3 miles at a time.  GO SLOW!!!  If you see someone racing towards you on the gravel road, move as far to the right as you can.  The flying rocks will miss you.  99% of the highways are two lane ... if a big truck comes up behind you, just pull over.  If there is no pullout, wait for a straight stretch, turn on your signal, slow down and pull as far to the right as you can.  They will greatly appreciate you keeping them on schedule.
"But I don't want to replace my windshield when it gets broken from flying rocks!!"  My windshield didn't get broken.  Just in case however, call your insurance company and have your deductible changed to $100.  It cost me $96 for my rig and is cheap insurance.  When you see big trucks coming, try pulling as far to the right as you can.  It MIGHT save you a broken windshield.
"But my tow car will be trashed!!"  My brand new Jeep survived just fine.  I purchased a screen that hooks on the hitch of the rig and goes to the bumper of the car.  No broken anything!

"But I won't have TV!!"  We had satellite TV at almost every single location we stopped.  Even when we thought there was no way, it worked.  Take DVD's with you for those 4 or 5 nights you can't get reception.  Or maybe read a book.  We were so busy checking out the countryside that we didn't miss the TV.  WiFi is available at most parks.  My Sprint MiFi worked most of the time.  If it doesn't and you are having withdrawals, go to the nearest Public Library.  They work great!!!
"But it's soooo expensive!!"  It's not exactly cheap, I'll admit.  Fuel ran from $3.89 to $5.68 a gallon (Canada fuel is high).  If you don't keep the pedal to the metal, you will get better fuel mileage.  The speed limits are mostly 60 ... 55 will save you fuel and let you enjoy the trip.  My biggest worry was fuel stations ... not a problem, there are plenty.  If you have half a tank or so, stop and fuel up.  There are Walmarts enough to get cheaper food ... cook in more than you eat out.   Most RV parks charged $35-40.  Walmarts and Fred Meyers are free and they encourage you to park overnight.  There are many pull-outs that allow dry camping ... but don't stay if there is a sign saying NO.  No one needs a knock on the door at 1:00 am.
"But the mosquitos are terrible!!"  Yes, there are mosquitos in certain areas.  Take spray ... it works really well!  I even sprayed my doorway to keep them from coming in when I opened the door.  They are mostly inland where it is swampy.  There were little to none towards the ocean. 

By far, this was the most spectacular trip I've every taken, thanks only to Patty and Dan Chance, who taught me all of the above!!  There's NO EXCUSE!!!    JUST DO IT!!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment