Monday, October 17, 2011

Nike Womens Marathon, San Francisco

As I have mentioned before, I am a runner.  It's an addiction, although as I get older, it takes more to keep it up, so I've become kind of a slacker!! The last couple months I have been trying to get back in shape for the Nike Womens Marathon.  My friend Ofelia, an ultra runner (30 miles+) gets picked every year in the "random" drawing for this event.  40-50,000 people apply but only 22,000 get to run.  For those years I did not get picked, I found a way to gain entry.

We stay at Parc 55 hotel, close to BART and a short 3 blocks to the start line.  After registering, we headed off to Niketown to see the latest in running gear.  Always a very expensive trip, the only thing under $50 is the flip flops!!!  New purchases in hand, we set out for Max's Restaurant, just off Union Square.  On the way, we spied a new cupcake bakery, Caka ..... After a great pasta dinner, and a short stop at the bakery, we headed back to the hotel.  The sun was just setting ... nice golden hour for pictures and eating the best cupcake I've ever had!!!  BTW, this is an I-Phone picture!!!  They say the best camera is the one you have with you .....  I can't say that for the rest of the pictures though!!!
Up at 4:30 am. we are at the start line by 6:15.  Even though the run goes off at 7:00, I don't get to the start line until 7:11 ...  which is okay, cuz everyone's bib had a chip that starts YOUR time when you cross the line.  Throughout the course, they have pads you cross, so if you cheat and take a shortcut, they will know.
Past Fisherman's Wharf we run by historic Crissy Field.  As you can see, you are always in a crowd.  Between walkers and very slow runners, it's an obstacle course the entire way.
Past Golden Gate Bridge ... to where the hills start.  You've seen those steep San Francisco Hills???  Well we have to run (ok, I walk) up those hills!!!  So when you go down the other side to the ocean, you get to make up the time!!
I didn't take as many pictures as I wanted ... it was very hard to get my phone out of the little pouch ... and with a big water bottle in one hand and GU (running food) in the other, I just didn't take the time.  Not that I care about my time to complete the race, but once you get going, you just don't want to stop.
And once you get in the zone of running (trying to ignore the pain!!), you just keep going and going.
The finish line is a madhouse ... people pushing and shoving ... so I just found my way around the back so I could sit down, rest and try to contact Ofie.  Here's the "coveted" box.  Personally I'd rather have a huge medal to hang around my neck ... LOL ... but the necklace is very nice.
NOT a good picture, but here we are at the finish.  Poor Ofie was sick with the flu ...
So here are the spoils of our trip ...  a really nice running shirt ...
and the necklace up close ... the back is engraved also.  Every year it is a different shape.
I'm not as sore today as I thought I would be.  In fact, I feel really good.  Unfortunately tomorrow will probably be a different story.   I'm always worse the second day!!!  It's when I wonder why in the heck I do this stuff!!!!!  Until the next one ........

No comments:

Post a Comment