Saturday, April 20, 2024

Tongue In Cheek

Goodness sakes ... how in the world is it April 20th ALREADY?  It seems like we just started this month and it's almost over!

Here we are Thursday night at 10:00 pm.  I'm hiding way in the back, unseen, discussing the next event ... another steak dinner for members only.  You can tell this is a great organization by the number of people we having joining every month!  These are all new members and a few officers.


 Just to be sure everyone knows, my description of the Magic Castle of Bingo, including the King, the Knights of the Round Table and my Fairy Godmother is a tongue and cheek version of a great night of fun.  Sure, there is always one person who is unhappy, or who might try to slip something by us, but let it be known that all those BINGO folks are the stars of the show.

Maybe spending all that money is not MY thing, but they are the reason the Elks Lodge can donate so much money to help kids in our County and beyond.  If it weren't for them, we would not be donating close to $100,000.00 a year to charity organizations doing good things for kids.  From baseball uniforms to burn centers ... we do it all.  

Even if I grumble, I look forward to every day working in the dungeon.  Elks members may not all be my best friends, but if I ever needed ANYTHING ... they would be there for me.  It's a great organization run by a lot of hard working volunteers who can always use MORE help.  

So if you are bored, have lots of free time (or even a little free time), join your local Elks Lodge and help out, if only for one day a week or even one day a month.  They will surely appreciate your help.


This was us most of yesterday.  I just could not get off the couch!  Actually, I was waiting for the Weed Man guy to show up and inspect the lawn as per my morning request.  Nothing ... I heard crickets.  I finally called back at 3:30 and asked for the name of the herbicide they used and the owners name.  They pled lack of knowledge.  

My patience was running thin.  I guess it's not a big deal.  They won't be able to replace the grass for at least a year due to the chemicals soaked into the soil.  Hopefully they will show up on Monday as requested, or I will be making ANOTHER phone call to the County Ag Office.  It's frustrating.


To ease my angst, Cooper and I played the ball game on the back lawn.  Boy these roses are some happy campers!!  Every day there are more and more blooming.


Dinner might have been good had I cooked something.  I picked up a big pork roast in readiness for some smoking, but plans got changed.  The Elks Lodge is having their big Stag Picnic today at the Elks RV Park.  Someone accidentally put MUSIC on the menu, when none was available.  Since my friend donated that big speaker and microphone system, we hope to be able to set something up via phone bluetooth.  We'll see if we can get it to work.  

That of course means I'll be out at the park early.  There's more barbecued steaks, horseshoes, beer and lots of good food, all for free if you have paid your dues.  A sneaky way to get more members paid up.  

Hopefully I'll have pictures tomorrow, in between getting ice, because one of the refrigerators died a slow death.  I'm thinking that will be our next lodge approved purchase.  I hope everyone has a wonderful warm day in the sun!!


20 comments:

  1. I would hope that people realize it is tongue in cheek. I sadly also know that some people take life way too seriously and may not. The elks is a great organization and you are a big reason your chapter runs as smoothly as it does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that Jim ... thanks. It takes a village to keep it going!

      Delete
  2. Your roses are beautiful. Doris from Pa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Doris ... I can't believe they get better every year.

      Delete
  3. Nancy if you have to go to the Ag Commissoners office husband says to take their business license number with you.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never would have thought of that. I definitely will! Thanks husband!!

      Delete
  4. I see you back there in that picture...your hair sticks out around that bald head of that one gentleman. Also, with the grass...topsoil can be removed and replaced...they are just looking at a cheep way of fixing it. Do talk to the local Ag person, and get something in writing that explains how to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee, I thought I was hiding better than that! LOL. Good idea Dave ... I will do that.

      Delete
  5. I would say that you actually have a hazardous material spill. If you go to the county, I bet they will get the ball rolling with your gardeners.
    About the only way to truly mitigate your problem is to remove all the contaminated soil and send it off to a hazardous material waste disposal site. It will probably cost them a bundle. You should settle for no less than total removal and replacement of new soil.
    In another vein, you might not have much luck with most plants, but you sure can grow roses. I am envious of your display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so hoping for this not to be a big headache. Pipe dreams I guess. The roses must be happy because they are next to where I kept my horses for ten years.

      Delete
  6. I agree with KennyD. I always thought the spill came under a haz mat spill. The owner should have gone out there as soon as he got the phone call. Whatever you are doing with the roses...or not doing...keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NOT doing at this point and they STILL put out the flowers. I think the owner thought the kid was exaggerating. He'll find out I guess.

      Delete
  7. You know what really sucks is when someone doesn't getv what tongue in cheek means

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mr. Ed said soil subtraction they need to dig down approximately 1 foot remove the old soil and replace it with new if they don’t do it it’ll never clean up. hate to say this but you should make your insurance company aware or an attorney friend not so much that you’re going to sue but a letter with his heading on it lights a fire under there exterminating company.. it gets their attention

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea Mr. Ed. I never thought of calling my insurance company!!

      Delete
  9. I just spent the day volunteering with our county Elk’s track meet . Im seconding your praise of what the Elks do and why. This is a great organization with a lot of heart.

    Emjay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That AWESOME Emjay!! I'm not one for clubs or committees, but this one does amazing things for the kids in our small towns.

      Delete
  10. I, too, think and hope that everyone gets your tongue in cheek nicknames. You've told us many times of how the Elks help the community. You are part of an amazing group! All i can see of you in that picture is your hair. The man in front is using it!!!

    ReplyDelete